Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #151
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Not orphaned, just rethought.
Rethought how? Do you think that Amazon will update the Touch to have the new features?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #152
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Rethought how? Do you think that Amazon will update the Touch to have the new features?
Yes, because they have to address the new Whispersync Voice, and if it's not there already, the new comic book mode we just got on K3. Plus the new parental controls.

Rethought as in, the only real difference between the Touch and the Paperwhite is the better screen and light. The software didn't change, but the hardware did.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #153
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
It'll be interesting to see what they do, if anything, for the Touch. The reason the Kindle Keyboard got an update is because it's still a current model, they aren't selling the Touch anymore though, so will it just be ignored? I don't think there is any guarantee it won't.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #154
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The 5.1.2 firmware in the K5(Touch) already has many of the features in the Paperwhite, but they are turned off. There are some hacks that tweak the config files to turn some of those disabled "paperwhite" features back on in the K5(Touch).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #155
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraludio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
It contains, at the least, a fix for the rebooting due to large archive issue. Also, "large" archives will load most recent first (instead of oldest first) and cut off around 5K items (so it won't brick the touches or cause reboot cycles).
Source?
A) conversation with an extremely high level content support person (one who is working with some specific customers with the large archive issue.

B) Installed it today and the rebooting issue is GONE!

There is also an update for the Touch - it has the same new view of the Archives (most recent few thousand items, rather than earliest purchased items) and presumably the fix for large archives (>16K) on it (that bug caused complete bricking of the touch if wireless was ever turned on and the archive attempted to download).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #156
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Vargas View Post
here the same, cant see this changes.

But my Kindle SO isnt SO anymore after the update, good change
They moved the SO menu choice - look higher up in the menu (same as they did to the baby Kindle a while back; it has also moved in the Touch with the current update).
Old 09-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #157
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
They moved the SO menu choice - look higher up in the menu (same as they did to the baby Kindle a while back; it has also moved in the Touch with the current update).
Did they take away the WiFi from the menu too? I'm curious as the K4 has that stupid Airpane mode.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #158
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There are two features when you have paired an audiobook and ebook:

- On Fire HD and the 'upgraded' Fire, there is 'Immersion Reading'. Text highlights as audiobook plays. You don't get this on Kindle Keyboard.
- Whispersync for Voice. Syncs reading position between any Kindle (including tablet Kindles) or Kindle App and Audible app for iOS, Android, or Fire. Presumably between two different Audible apps as well.

I don't think the Audible player on K3/KT participates in Whispersync, or that would have been called out. Nor does the Audible app for Windows Phone, apparently (at least not yet).
Actually, it does work on the upgraded K3 (sort of)

You must 'sync' after exiting the audiobook (the audiobook playback doesn't seem to have an option to resume, even though it is documented as participating).

Last edited by koland; 09-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #159
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Did they take away the WiFi from the menu too? I'm curious as the K4 has that stupid Airpane mode.
Well, I did a factory reset on my backup Kindle, as I was unsure if I had applied the correct update -- that didn't really help, though, as it was still at 3.4.

After that, though, my Special offers menu is missing (even though the website says I am still enrolled).

Another new wrinkle - adding a Kindle to your account has been removed from the website options. You must have physical access to the Kindle device (or give out your amazon account password) to add it to your account.

Turning on/off wireless is still the first option on the menu (which is exactly the same as "airplane mode", I suspect, as it simply disables the WiFi and 3G and that's all 'airplane mode' does on any device I've tested).
Old 09-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #160
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I did a factory reset on my backup Kindle, as I was unsure if I had applied the correct update -- that didn't really help, though, as it was still at 3.4.

After that, though, my Special offers menu is missing (even though the website says I am still enrolled).

Another new wrinkle - adding a Kindle to your account has been removed from the website options. You must have physical access to the Kindle device (or give out your amazon account password) to add it to your account.

Turning on/off wireless is still the first option on the menu (which is exactly the same as "airplane mode", I suspect, as it simply disables the WiFi and 3G and that's all 'airplane mode' does on any device I've tested).
It's just so unfair! They would remove WiFi Off from the menus on the K4. I don't care what they call it. I just want that option back.

Maybe S.O. is now in settings? Worth to take a peek.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #161
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's just so unfair! They would remove WiFi Off from the menus on the K4. I don't care what they call it. I just want that option back.

Maybe S.O. is now in settings? Worth to take a peek.
Looked everywhere.

It was directly under the Archive option on the menu (moved up from old position). After the system reset, it is completely missing.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #162
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Looked everywhere.

It was directly under the Archive option on the menu (moved up from old position). After the system reset, it is completely missing.
Now that is a bug! Report it to Kindle Support.
I don't know who is doing firmware updates these days but Amazon needs to
do some changes in that department.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #163
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Now that is a bug! Report it to Kindle Support.
I don't know who is doing firmware updates these days but Amazon needs to
do some changes in that department.
I've sent in an email request (one of three tonight), so we'll see how long it takes them to get back to me.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #164
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
I've sent in an email request (one of three tonight), so we'll see how long it takes them to get back to me.
Hope you get it sorted.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #165
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
It'll be interesting to see what they do, if anything, for the Touch. The reason the Kindle Keyboard got an update is because it's still a current model, they aren't selling the Touch anymore though, so will it just be ignored? I don't think there is any guarantee it won't.
The Touch is still being sold in the Amazon stores outside the US. Eg, take a look at http://www.amazon.co.uk. The WiFi Touch is still on sale, although the 3G version is displaying as "out of stock".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote