Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
It's a Pattern: London Rioters Are Leaving Bookstores Untouched

Quote:
While the rioters in England this week have looted shops selling shoes, clothes, computers, and plasma televisions, they've curiously bypassed one particular piece of merchandise: books. The Economist observes that while rioters have a centuries-old history of book burning, "books are losing out to high-end jeans and Apple-made gadgets" in London, with the Waterstone's bookstore chain emerging unscathed and the WH Smith chain reporting only one incident (some stores closed as a precaution). In explaining that the store would probably stay open during the unrest, one Waterstone's employee even felt comfortable enough to issue a dare to the rioters: "If they steal some books, they might actually learn something."
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/globa...touched/41142/
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
What happened in London and other cities was more of a looting that rioting. Apparently you can get more valuables out of a Nike Shop than Waterstone's.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
This was mentioned on NBC News last night. I was not surprised. They may not know what "books" are?

Since most of the damage seems to be economically motivated, the resale value of books is probably not high enough to cause one to even bust the windows of Waterstones.

Guess there is always a chance they'd rather have a Kindle...
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Maybe it's just R-E-S-P-E-C-T!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Wait, there are still physical bookstores in existence? Who knew?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Wait, there are still physical bookstores in existence? Who knew?
Perhaps not...they may be out of phase with our space-time continuum. That might be the real reason they weren't looted.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Just read that they broke the windows at a comic shop but stole nothing. Philistines one and all!!!
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowseTheStacks View Post
Just read that they broke the windows at a comic shop but stole nothing. Philistines one and all!!!
Wait! is that the one that had my soul?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
My question is, have they burned down all the strip clubs?
If they haven't, I postulate a connection between books and strippers...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
all i'm reminded of is a very racist chris rock joke. i'll let those interested search for it themselves lol.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:21 AM   #11
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
What happened in London and other cities was more of a looting that rioting. Apparently you can get more valuables out of a Nike Shop than Waterstone's.
As far as I can tell, there were basically two types of rioters. Most of the media have focused on the first type, where people were looting expensive stuff (plasma TVs etc). As you say, a pair of Nike trainers is worth a lot more than a book.

It's worth noting, however, that there were instances of people looting food from shops like Lidl and Aldi (for those of you that don't know, they're very cheap supermarkets). I have a lot more sympathy for those people, because if you're stealing food from a supermarket that sells very cheap food, chances are you're doing it because you're in severe economic distress, not because (to quote one looter) "Why wouldn't I take the chance to get free stuff?"
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #12
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Maybe they got tired of looting and wanted to eat something. And I saw a picture where people were standing in a queue to grab their spoils after breaking into the shop. Some sense of civil conduct I guess..!

On a serious note, breaking into Lidl or Aldi doesn't make it any lesser crime! They looted and destroyed many small shops as well and those guys are left with nothing now. What if those shopkeepers take the same route and start breaking into other shops? I do my bit for people in need but can’t sympathise with looters just because they don't have food and want to a pair of £150 trainers.

din
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:14 AM   #13
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
On a serious note, breaking into Lidl or Aldi doesn't make it any lesser crime! They looted and destroyed many small shops as well and those guys are left with nothing now. What if those shopkeepers take the same route and start breaking into other shops? I do my bit for people in need but can’t sympathise with looters just because they don't have food and want to a pair of £150 trainers.
I doubt the people stealing from Lidl & Aldi were the same people stealing £150 trainers. I may be wrong, but I suspect people stealing food from Lidl or Aldi were doing it out of desperation, whereas people stealing plasma TVs and £150 trainers were doing it out of greed.

It's still a crime, but I have more sympathy for a crime committed out of desperation than I do for a crime committed because of greed.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #14
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
It's still a crime, but I have more sympathy for a crime committed out of desperation than I do for a crime committed because of greed.
Desperation? More likely just taking the chance to help themselves to some free stuff once the first scallies have smashed their way in to clean out the cash registers and the spirits section.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/uk/I...day.6817234.jp

Quote:
A STUDENT was yesterday jailed for six months for looting a £3.50 case of water from Lidl during the violence that erupted across London this week.
Nicholas Robinson, 23, was walking back from his girlfriend's house in Brixton in the early hours of Monday when he saw the store in Acre Lane being looted.

He took the opportunity to go in and help himself to a case of water because he was "thirsty," a court heard.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #15
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ned0me View Post
Desperation? More likely just taking the chance to help themselves to some free stuff once the first scallies have smashed their way in to clean out the cash registers and the spirits section.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/uk/I...day.6817234.jp
In his case, evidently you're right. Maybe you're right in all the other cases, maybe not.

I probably should have known better than to get started on this, but it seems to me that we're off-topic, and that this sort of discussion should be in the politics & religion forum that I'm not a member of

I'll not be posting any more on this.