Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
Recommend me a Sci-Fi Novel

Recommend me a sci-fi novel. I'm open to any author. I really like post-apocalyptic books too.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Sci-fi - Neptune Crossing - Jeffrey A Carver
Post-apocalyptic - Refuge - Richard Herley
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post
Recommend me a sci-fi novel. I'm open to any author. I really like post-apocalyptic books too.
Fav Post Apocalyptic -
Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven
The Stand - Stephen King
Alas Babylon - Pat Frank (might be too dated for ya)

My favorite Sci-Fi
The Pride of Chanur - CJ Cherryh
Heavy Time - CJ Cherryh
Startide Rising - David Brin
Fire Upon The Deep - Vernor Vinge
Ringworld - Larry Niven
Dream Park - Larry Niven
Titan - John Varley
Gateway - Frederick Pohl
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Barrayar - Lois McMaster Bujold
Sten - Alan Cole and Chris Bunch
The Many-Colored Land - Julian May
Armor - John Steakley
The Forever War - Joe Haldeman

I really like Neal Stephenson's sci-fi (Snow Crash, Diamond Age) too, like him better than William Gibson - but I can't think of one I've read more than once and all of the above I've read more than twice.

Last edited by wayspooled; 04-11-2009 at 11:48 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Fav Post Apocalyptic -
Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven
The Stand - Stephen King
Alas Babylon - Pat Frank (might be too dated for ya)

My favorite Sci-Fi
The Pride of Chanur - CJ Cherryh
Heavy Time - CJ Cherryh
Startide Rising - David Brin
Fire Upon The Deep - Vernor Vinge
Ringworld - Larry Niven
Dream Park - Larry Niven
Titan - John Varley
Gateway - Frederick Pohl

I really like Neal Stephenson's sci-fi (Snow Crash, Diamond Age) too, like him better than William Gibson - but I can't think of one I've read more than once and all of the above I've read more than twice.
Absolutely! Anything by Cherryh... and she's still adding more!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Absolutely! Anything by Cherryh... and she's still adding more!
hehe.. I'm a big fan of Cherryh but I can't say I've loved it all. Any of the Alliance/Union universe stuff and the Chanur stuff and the Foreigner stuff, so that's like 30 books heh, is great. Her dabbles into fantasy or fantasy/sci fi (fortress, morgaine etc) are marginal to okay with the occasional good (2 Rider novels), but not superior like her pure sci-fi. That's from someone who really digs fantasy as well as sci-fi (of course, everyone has their own opinion and likes and dislikes as it should be)

She's one of the few sci-fi writers to really "get" the future of mankind in space. To the degree NASA even named an asteroid for her 'for "challenging" them'.

Glad there's another fan of hers here!

Last edited by wayspooled; 04-11-2009 at 11:55 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Cory Doctorow's Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom was one of the first sci-fi books I actively liked. I also liked Jonathan Lethem's Gun, With Occasional Music (though maybe that doesn't count totally as sci-fi?), and Simon Haynes' Hal Spacejock.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You shoudl read Neptune's Crossing, just because it's our book club selection this month
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Here is a smattering of authors i Like, you can find a whole lot more in my library thing in my sig
The Mote in gods Eye =Niven
the Acidental time Machine =Haldeman
Old Mans war =Scalzi
Tunnel in the Sky =Heinlein
the stars my destination =bester

though do check out my library thing, especially the 4 stars and above
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:21 AM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Ooops - please ignore
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:57 AM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The two definitive early post-apocalyptic sci-fi novels are:

Star Man's Son (aka Daybreak 2250) by Andre Norton
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Other good examples are:

The Postman by David Brin
Lucifer's Hammer by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (not really sci-fi)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
British SF has quite a rich vein of post-apocalyptic novels going back to Mary Shelley's 'The Last Man'.

John Wyndham, John Christopher and J. G. Ballard all wrote fine post-apocalyptic novels.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post
Could you name a few books that you enjoyed in the past? It would make tailored recommendations a lot easier. Everybody has their favourites, of course. A lovely, simple story, would be Daniel Keyes' "Flowers for Algernon".

For something faster, with cool tech, you could try Scott Westerfield's "The Risen Empire".

And presumably you've read Frank Herbert's "Dune"?
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
It's not sci-fi, but "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute is post-apocalyptic.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #14
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
It's not sci-fi, but "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute is post-apocalyptic.

Dreamer
I hate to argue, Dreamer, but since we haven't had an apocalypse yet, "On the Beach" is definitely Science Fiction
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:25 AM   #15
flowoeB
E-Reader Sammler
flowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheese

Device: plenty...
Arthur C. Clarke: The songs of distant earth

if you haven't read it yet -> it's a must...
flowoeB is offline   Reply With Quote