Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
Arrow Kindle Percentage Bar Hack 25.4% instead of 25%

Hello mobileread community, especially those using Kindle 3.

Would anyone manage this challenge of making for the Kindle 3 (3G - UK/EU) an 'Update-style' hack (like the screensaver hack) that would allow to give an extra decimal point figure to the percentage progress number on the Kindle 3?

For example you have a book and now it shows only 25% read. You go forward 3 or 4 pages and it keeps to still show 25% read. Would you be able to make it through a hack to show 25.4% read. Then you press for the next page and it goes to say 25.6% read. It should be easy. By taking the last location indicator (i.e. the location of the last text of the page shown in the progress bar) and divide it with the number of locations on the right side. I say to use the last location at the end of each page because when you arrive to the last page you want it to get to 100%. It should also be rounded up to the first decimal place. Such as if it goes to 25.46% it should read 25.5%.

I made a screenshot and edited it with paint (:P) to show what I mean as an end result.

See Attachment picture further below.

I understand that there are some that don't want it. But that is why they can choose NOT to install this great hack to be!

Really hope that someone can manage to code this hack and make it in an Update-style installer (possibly also making an Uninstaller too... )

It would be great. The gauntlet has been thrown. Who will pick this challenge?! A lot of peaple would appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Progress Bar.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	66429  

Last edited by jeromedevine; 02-10-2011 at 12:43 PM.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

A lot of Karma to who can manage to code this hack!

Last edited by jeromedevine; 02-10-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Why do you want it to show percentage with decimals ? I can see that it would be more precise if used as a reference to find a specific point in a book, but that's what locations are for.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-10-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
jeromedevine
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
Why do you want it to show percentage with decimals ?

It is more of a satisfaction of reaching a determined percentage mark. Say you are reading War and Peace, and you have been reading for 45 minutes. You see that you have reached 25.9% and you say, okay I will read to 30% because it is almost around the corner.

It is more of making easier the setting of short milestones to encourage reading. I had this hack on the PRS-505 (Sony eReader) and really loved it!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromedevine View Post
It is more of a satisfaction of reaching a determined percentage mark. Say you are reading War and Peace, and you have been reading for 45 minutes. You see that you have reached 25.9% and you say, okay I will read to 30% because it is almost around the corner.

It is more of making easier the setting of short milestones to encourage reading. I had this hack on the PRS-505 (Sony eReader) and really loved it!

Okay, I can understand your point of view, mate. I would probably use such a hack myself.

Cheers !
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
You could try hacking kindle-support@amazon.com . By hacking, I mean sending an email
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
jeromedevine
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
You could try hacking kindle-support@amazon.com . By hacking, I mean sending an email
I think we have to take matters in our own hands on this one. It is very simple for them to do but I don't believe they would do it.

Just like another hack I wish it can be done: When in reading mode, allowing the reader to press 'Spacebar' and/or 'Centre' buttons to go to next page. That would be really cool.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
With the 3.1 firmware, you don't get the Locations info most of the time (though when Menu is pressed, you get it, and possibly Page info as well), leaving the percentage all alone on an otherwise wasted line. Given my druthers, the hack I'd like to see complementing that change would move the percentage down to the line with the progress bar, gaining a bit more vertical room for text.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
All functions that deal with locations have parameters defined as integers, from getElementAt() to nextLocation() and everything inbetween. So, it shouldn't be a problem: the definition should be changed to float, a bit of rounding, a bit of recompiling and that's it. Not that I promise I'll do that I'm programming 20 hours a day for the last three days and I barely see anything, but it should be easy.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromedevine View Post
Just like another hack I wish it can be done: When in reading mode, allowing the reader to press 'Spacebar' and/or 'Centre' buttons to go to next page. That would be really cool.
This would be quite helpful when reading standing up on transit and holding the Kindle with one hand. I find the side buttons are somehow placed too high up on the device.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
This would be quite helpful when reading standing up on transit and holding the Kindle with one hand. I find the side buttons are somehow placed too high up on the device.
Rather, it's most useful when used in landscape.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
jeromedevine
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histerius View Post
All functions that deal with locations have parameters defined as integers, from getElementAt() to nextLocation() and everything inbetween. So, it shouldn't be a problem: the definition should be changed to float, a bit of rounding, a bit of recompiling and that's it. Not that I promise I'll do that I'm programming 20 hours a day for the last three days and I barely see anything, but it should be easy.

Hey Histerius, did you by any chance manage to code something?
Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Histerius View Post
Actually, that's exactly the hard part. First of all, all kindle source is obfuscated at the bytecode level. AKA, you don't know the names of any of the methods, variables, classes, etc. It's most likely found somewhere like com.amazon.impl.framework.Ba.C.a in a method called J(S.d a, K.r b). You'll have a hell of a time decompressing, decompiling, modifying, recompiling, recompressing, uploading, restarting and seeing if you made the right change.

Now, IF you found where the page percentage is stored, the first thing you need to do is change to a float or double, like you said. Now, Java bytecode does this crazy thing where each primitive value uses a different set of commands. Now you need to change all the "iload"s to "fload" "iadd" to "fadd" etc. (Assuming you know where ALL the obfuscated occurrences of the page percentage is found at). Now you need to go to every place that references "Package com.amazon.d, Class C.a, variable h" or something, change all the references from int to double/float (to avoid crashes). There are over 2000 classes to search through, so good luck.

I'm not purposely trying to discourage you (ok, maybe I am), but the reason why there isn't any "hacks" in the kindle framework (all the "hacks" are in the linux backend) is because of the amount of difficulty it takes to do so.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hack, kindle, locations, percentage, progress