Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemc View Post
Tom, "The Shockwave Rider" already received a second and here's a third.
Thanks for pointing that out. I read the post before he edited it and added the lines:

Quote:
I second (obviously) The Shockwave Rider.

(But what can you expect? My tagline comes from it!)
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sad News

After some discussion behind the scenes, I had to remove our versions of The City at World's End by Edmond Hamilton from the Patricia Clark Memorial Library because of copyrighth concerns. It's still available at Amazon, however, for 99¢.

Also at B&N for 99¢: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/city...=2940148275459

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-21-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Advert
Old 07-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #33
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'll third <i>Halting State</i>. I read it last year, or maybe the year before and it was a very entertaining read. I probably owe JSWolf some karma for suggesting it back then. I think it might be an interesting discussion on plot delivery and current trends.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #34
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
After some discussion behind the scenes, I had to remove our versions of The City at World's End by Edmond Hamilton from the Patricia Clark Memorial Library because of copyrighth concerns. It's still available at Amazon, however, for 99¢.

Also at B&N for 99¢: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/city...=2940148275459
And at Manybooks.net as well. Mr. Hamilton wrote it back in 1951 and it has always been my understanding that he didn't renew the copyright.
Note: I've just been listening to the opening of a Librivox recording of the novel and they state that "all their books are in the Public Domain." I also checked the Copyright office website under Mr. Hamilton's name and the book isn't listed. So I don't know either way but it seems to lean more toward being PD than not. Moderators decision at the end though.

Last edited by crich70; 07-21-2014 at 05:29 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I will third The Martian.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
And at Manybooks.net as well. Mr. Hamilton wrote it back in 1951 and it has always been my understanding that he didn't renew the copyright.
It didn't come up in a search of the U.S. Copyright Office's database, but we still had to remove it because of the new "Life +70" rule we've instituted. Eventually all our books will be "life +70." This one was was already marked for deletion when we go to the new system. For what it's worth, I can no longer find that title among Hamilton's books at Project Gutenberg, either. It may be okay, but if PG removed their copy, there's probably a reason, and given that they appear to have people there who are pretty well up on copyright laws, I don't want to take the chance.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #37
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It didn't come up in a search of the U.S. Copyright Office's database, but we still had to remove it because of the new "Life +70" rule we've instituted. Eventually all our books will be "life +70." This one was was already marked for deletion when we go to the new system. For what it's worth, I can no longer find that title among Hamilton's books at Project Gutenberg, either. It may be okay, but if PG removed their copy, there's probably a reason, and given that they appear to have people there who are pretty well up on copyright laws, I don't want to take the chance.
Ah I see. I didn't know it was even up at PG at one time. Of course there are so many books still to be uploaded there I imagine that a person could (if they hadn't seen it there) think that it just hadn't been yet.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Ah I see. I didn't know it was even up at PG at one time. Of course there are so many books still to be uploaded there I imagine that a person could (if they hadn't seen it there) think that it just hadn't been yet.
Evidently LibriVox and Internet Archive seem to have to questions about it being in the public domain, but it's going to cost those of us who do 99¢. But that's not a all a bad price. It's cheaper than most hamburgers and better for you!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #39
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Evidently LibriVox and Internet Archive seem to have to questions about it being in the public domain, but it's going to cost those of us who do 99¢. But that's not a all a bad price. It's cheaper than most hamburgers and better for you!
True and you can get it as part of the Edmund Hamilton Megapack which is also just .99 so it's even more of a bargain.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #40
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. I read the post before he edited it and added the lines:
Sometime I punch the send button before everything comes out of the ol' pea brain...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #41
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

You and me both.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #42
VioletVal
Connoisseur
VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle, iPhone
I nominate The Time Machine by H.G. Wells.

From Amazon:
Quote:
The Time Traveller, a dreamer obsessed with traveling through time, builds himself a time machine and, much to his surprise, travels over 800,000 years into the future. He lands in the year 802701: the world has been transformed by a society living in apparent harmony and bliss, but as the Traveler stays in the future he discovers a hidden barbaric and depraved subterranean class. Wells's transparent commentary on the capitalist society was an instant bestseller and launched the time-travel genre.
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Kobo
VioletVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #43
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletVal View Post
I nominate The Time Machine by H.G. Wells.

From Amazon:

Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Kobo
I second the nomination for "The Time Machine."
Old 07-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #44
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I will third The Martian.
I think this vote/nomination was missed.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 AM   #45
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am going to nominate Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor (Chronicles of St Mary's 1). Both are available at Overdrive or from Amazon for less than $5 (although some other sources for RPO are more).

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Amazon US / Amazon UK / Kobo / Barnes & Noble / Overdrive
Quote:
In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.
But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.
Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor, Book 1 of the Chronicles of St. Mary's
Amazon US / Amazon UK / Kobo / Barnes & Noble / Overdrive
Quote:
“History is just one damned thing after another” - Arnold Toynbee

A mapcap new slant on history that seems to be everyone's cup of tea...

Behind the seemingly innocuous façade of St Mary's, a different kind of historical research is taking place. They don't do 'time-travel' - they 'investigate major historical events in contemporary time'. Maintaining the appearance of harmless eccentrics is not always within their power - especially given their propensity for causing loud explosions when things get too quiet.

Meet the disaster-magnets of St Mary's Institute of Historical Research as they ricochet around History. Their aim is to observe and document - to try and find the answers to many of History's unanswered questions...and not to die in the process.

But one wrong move and History will fight back - to the death. And, as they soon discover - it's not just History they're fighting.

Follow the catastrophe curve from eleventh-century London to World War I, and from the Cretaceous Period to the destruction of the Great Library at Alexandria. For wherever Historians go, chaos is sure to follow in their wake ...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote