Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
Page Turn Zones

Hello all,

I was very close to ditching my kindle paperwhite and ordering the new kobo aura. Until I learned of the option to jailbreak and having jailbroken iphones and ipads etc it is something that interests me. Having read the site and wiki however I am not sure that jailbreaking will in-fact solve my problems yet, at least not all of them.

I have 2 major gripes with my Kindle which are:

• I use it left handed and turning the page is not comfortable.
• Collections. I find their out of the box implementation to be very basic.

It looks like the collections area is covered by collections manager so that just leaves page turning. Is it possible to edit the page turn zones on the paperwhite post jailbreak?

Thanks

Neil
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Don't you get the SLIGHTEST feeling you're going to need some more juice to run this thing?
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

I think I'd settle for just being able to reverse the zones. Right now I have to remove my hand every time I need to move on a page which compared to the K4 is a pain.

It is a close call but the PW screen just about edges out the lighter button equipped K4. I am though sorely tempted by the Kobo Aura.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hmm... interesting question.

I think I would probably go with baf's "untouchable" and reverse the screen locations - then pass that through to the underlying reader. would require some coding skills.

OOTB I can't think of a left-handed hack. but I like that thought of both-handed access.
There was a "enable inverted landscape" hack recently but that won't help.

Might get back to you on this.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
neil74
Connoisseur

Thanks

I'm not even a proper lefty but I seem to use phones/tablets/kindles etc left handed for some reason. I was surprised that Amazon did not cater for that OOTB as there are lot of left handed people out there.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No worries.

Just can't think of a "quick win" that I could hack into an extension

Anyone else got any - simple- ideas?

That don't involve horrible hackery like turning back one page and then two forward (Which I have already considered)
Old 09-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
neil74
Connoisseur

1 page back, 2 forward that would be quite the solution!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
no answers, but I am also left handed. I get so used to the world catering to righties, I never even thought to look into it. Love to see something - not sure where to go?
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@twobob-
Is it possible to 'flip' the printed view of a page without changing the touch zones? Then just hold the PW upside down...the next page tap zone would be on the left.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
no answers, but I am also left handed. I get so used to the world catering to righties, I never even thought to look into it. Love to see something - not sure where to go?
I never knew that. My brother is too. and one of the little girls.
I'll put this remmina on hold for now then.
It's doing my head in anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post
1 page back, 2 forward that would be quite the solution!
I think I can wangle that one. But it will be visually ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@twobob-
Is it possible to 'flip' the printed view of a page without changing the touch zones? Then just hold the PW upside down...the next page tap zone would be on the left.
hmm... interesting idea.
Seems like there should be a nice and tidy way to do that - other than the fact that this machine uses X. so even if I did resequence the framebuffer, it would be overwritten a few Milliseconds later. pity the OP doesn't have a kindle 3

will ruminate. but it's gonna be ugly whatever I do - so far.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
twobob

hmm.. actually. I kind of recall Geekmaster having a trick that enabled the VISUAL framebuffer to be separate from the ACTUAL framebuffer.

This hinged around the fact that the FB on the PW is actually much larger than the screen. I'm WAY rusty on this stuff though.

So yeah. Copy the framebuffer to the empty area, rotate it.
AFAIK that should NOT affect the way the input is still piped to the REAL underlying app.

Someone needs to do some thread diving.

The code for the copy/rotation I GUESS could be modified out of the scroller extension.

The code for actually offsetting the buffer is on MR somewheres (I THINK) - or perhaps GM or one of the others here remembers it.

Possibly half a plan.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175632 post #13 has geekmaster saying:
"In new (unfinished) code, I using double-buffered display updates. I am NOT writing directly to the framebuffer, but instead to a temp copy of the framebuffer. Then just before the update call I quickly COPY my temp copy to /dev/fb0. This prevents the eink drivers from getting all "confused" because we are writing to the framebuffer while it is trying to use it. This should increase the speed without causing extra annoying display "tearing" artifacts."

It seems a clever C programmer could use some code like this to capture the page, rotate it, and write it back? I would think it would be a pretty quick update of each page.
How to do that is WAAAAY beyond me!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #13
twobob

thanks Brian. Yeah he is referring to the stuff in the dithmatron there. Which is very similar to what I have been searching for. Your help is mightily appreciated.

It's out there... somewhere... sigh.

as for "clever c programmer" humph, I'm at best "an idiot" in these matters, if I can scrape something together - I'm sure you could with enough desire.

: )

Hope today finds you well.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
neil74
Connoisseur

Wow I Had no idea this would so tricky! Just thought it has never come up before and that it would just be a case of swapping the action for the 2 zones over so that the small thin part down the left advanced the page and the larger part on the right went back?

I guess changing the size of the zones would be ideal but I could live with the zones staying as they are but with the actions swapped over.

Kobo aura continues to look appealing! Mind you having said that I just installed collections manager and that is one terrific addition.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
twobob

hmm. Maybe Ixxy has some idea where that might be handled. thus changed.
For my part, I would have to be "over-wiring".