Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-15-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I bricked my Cybook... request System Folder

Dear MobileRead users,

Since about 8 weeks, I'm the owner of a Cybook Gen3, and have been lurking here for over 3 months now. The device performs outstanding, but now I'm a bit stuck, which almost "forced" me to create an account at the forums :P

Due to an unfortunate convergence of circumstances, I lost the Cybook system files. I did back them up on my computer when I got the Cybook, seeing that they could be deleted by accident very easily, but the computers harddrive failed about a week later. This was replaced, and all backups where restored, but the Cybook system files where not yet in this backup (which I didn't now back then), and I forgot about that. I never backed them up again.

Today I wanted to delete a lot of RSS files/books, which were located on the SD-card. Being quite a slow card, it was very lenghty to delete the files, so I stopped the procedure, thinking: "I'll just quickformat the card".

I think you can already envision what happened.

Start -> Computer -> Rightclick on icon -> Format

Done. Very nice, very fast. Disconnect, and wait for the USB-cable to disappear from screen... to be replaced by the checkerboard pattern. What the.... #$%@$%#$%#$@5, I zapped the Cybook internal memory instead of the SD-card. Stupid fool!

So I reconnect the Cybook and this still works. I can see the internal memory and the (still full) SD-card. Fine, then I'll just restore the backup of my system fold.... no backup on the hard disk. Crap, it wasn't on the backupdrive when I used that to restore my files after the crash and I forgot to rebackup them after replacing the harddrive of the computer. Idiot is me. Now I have nothing to restore the Cybook with.

So, to summarize: I am in the same boat as the guy in the other thread and have a bricked Cybook over here, which can probably be fixed by putting back the system folder, as far as I can see. Would anyone be so kind to zip up the system folder of the Cybook and e-mail it to me at katsunami(at)home(dot)nl?

It would very much be appreciated, so I do not need to wait for Bookeen's support to react. Of course I could e-mail Bookeen, but I hear that their support is slow, and we are in the middle of the weekend, so it'll be slower still; and I've heard help through this forum is just as accurate and way faster.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-15-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Puddytat purr
Enthusiast
Puddytat purr is on a distinguished road

Location: Isle of Wight (that's the little speck at bottom of the UK map)
Device: Bookeen Cybook
What's your e-mail address?
Puddytat purr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your intention to help, Puddytat purr. My e-mail box already made me happy with the files sent by several helpful users of this forum.

Thank you very much

* Burns files to 5 CD's and puts them within 5 different houses *
Old 03-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
wimdammeyer
wimdammeyer began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Angry corrupted system files too

Hello,
I've a similar issue. I wanted to clone one SD to another and in the process the whole internal memory is unreadable and the screen looks like a check game board.
I can nowhere find the firmware on the net. (it is probably not the firmware I need but the files in the system directory, unless that's the same)
Anyone has a solution?

wim(at)dammeyer(dot)nl

Last edited by wimdammeyer; 03-16-2008 at 05:06 PM.
wimdammeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

That is very unfortunate. I'm sorry to report that this issue cannot be resolved... please throw your Cybook away and buy a new one.

Just kidding of course I've sent you the system files by mail. Please check your mail and just follow the instructions. That should resolve the problem. (If you mean by "unreadable memory" that you have wiped it. If it's really unreadable, i.e. defective, you'd need to have the Cybook replaced.)

Good luck
Old 03-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
wimdammeyer

Thanks,
I've received several emails with the firmware, which turned out to be what I needed.
Had to try 4 SD cards before it flashed, and then everything was back in action.
What remains is the strange thing that about 50% (be it from a small sample) is not recognized by the cybook.
Thanks everyone who mailed me the firmware.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimdammeyer View Post
Thanks,
I've received several emails with the firmware, which turned out to be what I needed.
Had to try 4 SD cards before it flashed, and then everything was back in action.
What remains is the strange thing that about 50% (be it from a small sample) is not recognized by the cybook.
Thanks everyone who mailed me the firmware.
When you say '50% ... not recognized', what exactly are you referring to? Mobipocket ebooks? PDF ebooks? TXT files?

Could you email a couple of sample files to me at dabenner (at) comcast (dot) net? Perhaps I can figure out why not.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:15 AM   #8
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
When you say '50% ... not recognized', what exactly are you referring to?...Derek
SD cards. He tried 4 of them and only 2 work. Nothing new...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #9
wimdammeyer

Hello,
Yes, 50% relates to the SD cards as a whole, not to the files on it. Cybook either recognizes a SD card and can read all the files, or nothing.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 AM   #10
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Or it recognizes the SD card for a while and then corrupts it.
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:10 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
Or it recognizes the SD card for a while and then corrupts it.
It seems likely that corruption is at least largely due to people unplugging the USB cable without safely dismounting the device first.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #12
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
It looks like I am in the same fix - I managed to brick mine this morning and can't get it to respond to anything. Is there any way someone can send me the firmware files as well?
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Distributing these files most likely infringes on copyright. You really should be writing to Bookeen for this.

People should be saving these files on their computer for backup, but not distributing them.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:17 AM   #14
srml
Enthusiast
srml has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
Distributing these files most likely infringes on copyright.
No, it doesn't. Actually Bookeen is infringing the ICU License by not mentioning the fact that the license allows the redestribution of the icudt36l.dat file contained in the system folder.

Daniel
srml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by srml View Post
No, it doesn't. Actually Bookeen is infringing the ICU License by not mentioning the fact that the license allows the redestribution of the icudt36l.dat file contained in the system folder.

Daniel
That's one of three files in the system folder.

Nothing personal, but I don't know who you are or if you have a clue. I haven't investigated, and I'm not going to, but I think it's safe to say if you didn't create the file, and you didn't get it from the copyright holder WITH PERMISSION TO DISTRIBUTE, I'd say it's safe to assume you don't have permission to distribute. Anyone who really wants to distribute these files should be responsible enough to investigate their legal authority to do so. I'm not going to distribute them.

If bookeen is using a file illegally, I wouldn't be overly shocked. I'm damn sure not defending them, but I would defend their right to their own creations.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote