Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
DTBook markup?

I finally got around to buying several epubs from my favorite author at Borders. I liberated all of the epubs and did a first verification that they were readable using EPubReader with Firefox. Seven of the eight books looked great.

The last one (which was actually the third in the series) had the Table of Contents run together on five lines of text The rest of the book was basically reduced to run-on paragraphs and headers with no formatting beyond the bolding of the headers. I tested both the original DRM'd version and the de-DRM'd book with ADE and Sony Library readers and both DRM'd and de-DRM'd formatted perfectly. I chalked the formatting errors up to a problem with EPubReader.

When I loaded the de-DRM'd epub to Calibre, I decided to take another look and received the following:

ERROR: Could not open ebook: EPUB files with DTBook markup are not supported

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 61, in run
File "threading.py", line 477, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator.py", line 192, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 211, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\epub\input.py", line 152, in convert
ValueError: EPUB files with DTBook markup are not supported

BTW, I decided to load the de-DRM'd epub to my Sony PRS-505 and it reported the book consisted of 1 page, posted a "Page Error" and wouldn't open it. I then tried the DRM'd version and got the same "Page Error" and wouldn't open the book ... even though both ADE and Sony Reader on the PC opened it.

Why am I reporting this here in the Calibre forum? Well, since Calibre was the only software to report the nature of the problem I thought maybe I could get some help here.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Epub files can have XHTML and DTBook markup for the actual content. Unfortunately, calibre does not support reading DTBook at this time.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Could you get another format for free from the publisher and convert?
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Epub files can have XHTML and DTBook markup for the actual content. Unfortunately, calibre does not support reading DTBook at this time.
Apparently neither does the Sony PRS-505!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try running the DRM free copy through Sigil and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
frquixote
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Could you get another format for free from the publisher and convert?
Don't know about that, but I HAVE contacted Borders since I bought the book from them. I'm hoping to at least get a refund. Thought about going to B&N, but suspect that the underlying epub would be the same once the DRM is stripped.

Hmmm ... who might have an alternative format that could be easily stripped, converted to ePub and loaded to my Sony?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
frquixote
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try running the DRM free copy through Sigil and see what happens.
Will do, though with my lack of skills using Sigil I am just as likely to break it further as I am to fix it.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I ran into exactly this same error (with a book from Kobo). I opened the (DRM removed) ePub in Sigil, clicked "save" to over-write, and then tried to open in Calibre then convert to mobi. That appeared to have worked just fine.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #9
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I ran into exactly this same error (with a book from Kobo). I opened the (DRM removed) ePub in Sigil, clicked "save" to over-write, and then tried to open in Calibre then convert to mobi. That appeared to have worked just fine.
This just happened to me with a book I purchased from Kobo, calibre won't let me do anything with it due to this DTBook markup I've never used Sigil before but as above I have installed it opened the ePub in Sigil and re-saved it but calibre still throws up the error. Is there something else I have to do in Sigil to get rid of the DTBook markup(not entirely sure what this is btw)
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
Jimbo724
Connoisseur
Jimbo724 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Has there been any further progress on this problem? I just encountered it for the first time.
Jimbo724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
tamole
tamole has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Droid X
I just got this error for the first time on a Barnes and Noble book I was trying to convert with Calibre. I removed the DRM with Calibre, followed the suggestion to format with Sigil, which worked. I got the same "DTBook markup" markup error when trying to convert to ePub. Turns out I don't have to convert it again. The file opens just fine in other other ePub readers, just not Cailbre's. That doesn't help if you are trying to convert it to mobi, but maybe there's a clue there for someone more tech savvy than I am.

In any case, I removed the DRM and got an ebook file I can read in Moon+ Reader, which was my goal.
tamole is offline   Reply With Quote