Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
eBooks: What to read on which reader? El Reg

A great article on The Register regarding availibility of e-books and e-book formats.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/22/ebook_content/

Quote:
eBook readers will be everywhere this Christmas, in the shops if not under the trees, but even publishers don't seem to know what books one can read on the things.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Then we have Adobe's Digital Editions, which uses ePub for layout. Adobe also provides a PC client, and manufacturers of eBook readers can pay around $75,000 for a licence as long as they also agree not to include Mobipocket or Kindle software on the device: Adobe wants the field to itself.
Funny, my understanding is that it's always been the exact opposite -- Mobipocket/Amazon wouldn't let you license their DRM (not that they're even licensing it out anymore) if you wanted to use it in conjunction with any other company's DRM. From what I know, Adobe doesn't have that stipulation. Oh wait, silly me. It's the Register. I should've known that they wouldn't get things right...
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Funny, my understanding is that it's always been the exact opposite -- Mobipocket/Amazon wouldn't let you license their DRM (not that they're even licensing it out anymore) if you wanted to use it in conjunction with any other company's DRM. From what I know, Adobe doesn't have that stipulation. Oh wait, silly me. It's the Register. I should've known that they wouldn't get things right...
Can the Register be sued for this kind of mistake? Its active disinformation that could result in financial loss for Adobe and those manufacturers supporting its format.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Can the Register be sued for this kind of mistake? Its active disinformation that could result in financial loss for Adobe and those manufacturers supporting its format.
This is El Reg - good luck suing them .
By the way, did anyone ping them on this? Articles can be commented (registration required I think).
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Suing them? Don't you think that simply telling them that they've made an error would be a rather more constructive move?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert