Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Let the Right One In -- it's a vampire book

Last night I just watched Let the Right One In (2008). It is a vampire movie (based on a book) that was really good. I believe it was made in Sweden, so it has the feel of a small indie film and not a big Hollywood production, and that's a good thing because it's the story in this film that is really good. Nothing is stated explicitly, but instead the film is full of open ended questions -- questions of sexuality, the vampire's history, the vampire's relationship with her older "guardian", is the vampire capable of friendship or is it just manipulation, and lots more are not spelled out exactly but just inferred (some big questions are in here that I'm stating because I don't want to ruin the movie/book for anyone). All these open questions make for a really good film, but it also leaves you wanting more.

Therefore, I just bought the book that the movie was based on. Has anyone else seen the movie? What did you think? Have you read the book? Is it as good as the movie? (From what I've read so far, the book also looks pretty good).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Did you find it somewhere as a ebook? I only see paper at Amazon.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, here's the Kindle link on Amazon for Let The Right One In. Amazon can suck sometimes in not returning books for which you are searching.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the recommendation and the liin (don't know how I missed it). I do enjoy the Vampire books!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
The film got really great reviews. I would have seen it if hadn't sounded too scary for my taste (I'm very easily scared by films), because I like vampire stories.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

I like scary stories and movies, and I'm afraid that if I said the movie wasn't that scary that this might not be true for you. However, with that being said, I didn't find the movie to be particularly scary. The vampire did what vampires do and there is blood in the film, but the film wasn't particularly gory about it (although there is one scene at the end with a fair amount of gore). The movie is not Nightmare on Elmstreet or Saw or anything like that. Its not even constant tension like the original Holloween. It's more of a good drama story scary, like Psycho, which was scary in its day but not so much now.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'm not a huge horror fan, but I thought the film was pretty good. I agree with Daithi, it was compelling and thought provoking in many ways. Maybe it could have been a bit shorter, and a few aspects of the plot weren't really credible - but overall an entertaining watch.

Wonder if there'll be a sequel .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Sony has it a the sony store as well, I think I might pick it up! Thanks's for the heads up.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I like scary stories and movies, and I'm afraid that if I said the movie wasn't that scary that this might not be true for you. However, with that being said, I didn't find the movie to be particularly scary. The vampire did what vampires do and there is blood in the film, but the film wasn't particularly gory about it (although there is one scene at the end with a fair amount of gore). The movie is not Nightmare on Elmstreet or Saw or anything like that. Its not even constant tension like the original Holloween. It's more of a good drama story scary, like Psycho, which was scary in its day but not so much now.
Then I won't see it Good drama story scary is the worst. My problem is that I don't have enough of a filter - I can't so easily separate between real and make-believe - at least it takes a little time, more than what one have when watching movies or TV

Gore is more icky, and I don't like it, but it's not *that* scary, just nauseating. I really liked "Interview with a vampire" - both book and movie - but then I don't consider this a scary movie, just very bloody, which I don't particularly mind - and I knew the story beforehand. It's sort of dramatic in an operatic/theatrical way.

Books are different though, and I might like to read this. I remember I'd read that is was based on a book, but somehow I didn't take notice then.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Speaking of Vampires... one of the very first titles I ordered for my Kindle was a short titled The Vampers (a bargain at 40 cents). It was short scary, fulfilling and I would love to see it turned into a film.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Daithi,

Just heard Robert Englund (Freddy Krueger of the "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies) raving about this book on the radio this morning. Might be a nice read for a Halloween scare.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Daithi,

Just heard Robert Englund (Freddy Krueger of the "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies) raving about this book on the radio this morning. Might be a nice read for a Halloween scare.
Actually, that's the book I'm reading right now, and it is very good. I also happened to read your short story suggestion, The Vampers, and liked that as well (even though I kinda saw the ending coming).