Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
should I switch VOX to ARC (or something else)

my vox is okay, I think I've just learned to deal with the issues,

batterylife comes and goes, sometimes I can have it sleep and still have full charge, sometimes not

it factory reset itself less than 1month ago,and since then "googleplay is shutting down unexpectedly" happens often
and the factory reset messed up some otherthings

Ive uninstalled alot of apps and things since it was sluggish, but it didn't help

and there are someother little things that it does that it didn't used to

But I did buy an extended store warrently, and it does cover batterylife, so I could call the 1-800#, they would send me labels to ship it back and once processed I would get $ to spend.
is this a case of devil you know vs the devil you don't.
(I could splurge and put the money on something else as well, like a ipadmini)
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
I just mentioned in another thread that I have had the loan of a Apple ipad Mini for the past week and have compared it to the Arc, and the Vox. In many ways I still like the Vox and have had few issues with it. The Arc is new and better in many ways. Comparing it to the Apple Mini I can say the Arc wins on the main points for me as the Apples' advantages are wiped away when cost is factored in. The Apple is slightly faster in downloading YouTube videos, has a clearer more pleasant sound, and the video is consistently good. It is in no way easier to use, or more intuitive, they both need a learning curve. Out of the box I like the Apple best, but after a few custom changes to the home screen on the Arc, like using a better wallpaper than the stock one which gives a busy face to the tablet. In actual use the Arc is best especially in book reading where the extra width of the Apple makes it at times awkward to hold. Also its extra size does not translate well to watching videos as a control panel is attached over the video taking this space. With both on full screen the horizontal picture is the identical size.
I would buy the Arc, or simply keep the Vox, the Green Hornet's car just sold for 4 million $ just imagine what the Vox will be worth is twenty or so years.
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
If you have a warranty claim to help out the purchase then definately go for the arc. The vox was a learning curve for kobo so the arc is a whole new ball game. Faster ,better screen, google certified, as with all tech its outdated before its released but the arc should stay capable for the near future.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
To me the Arc has a number of deficiencies. For about the same price you can purchase a tablet with very similar specs but does have these missing features.
1) lack of Bluetooth. Then you can, for example, use a headset and microphone and use Skype with it.
2) must use their charger. You can't plug it into any USB port. So what if it takes 8 hours to charge. At least you can charge it if you forget the charger at home.
3) it doesn't have a micro SD card slot. They want you to buy the larger capacity models for what seems to me to be a premium for that extra storage compared to a simple slot.
4) GPS. While I initially thought this would be useless for me it turns out that at least one amateur radio program I'm interested in could really use a GPS when I travel. Plus it simplifies using any mapping functionality.

The biggest downside of other Android tablets in the same price range is that their screen resolution is very likely to be lower. For example the Acer Iconia has a 1024 x 600 resolution while the Arc has a 1280 x 800. OTOH the Vox has 1024x600 resolution and it seems fine to me. OTTH I no longer use the Vox for reading books in low light situations as the Glo handles that nicely.

Oh, and of course you can download the Kobo Android app to your non Kobo Android tablet.

Last edited by TonyToews; 01-23-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added paragraph
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can use any micro USB charger. Even charge from laptop. I do it every day. The lower amps just means it takes longer.
More and more devices are going away from removeable storage. Welcome to the cloud.
Don't need Bluetooth for Skype.
Tethered to my oneX gives me wifi supported location services.
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
Can use any micro USB charger. Even charge from laptop. I do it every day. The lower amps just means it takes longer.
So that is confirmed, any USB charger will work unlike the Vox which required its own charger? In theory then I could use the wife's 2A iPad charger, or my charger from my mobile phone??
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
stevov
Groupie

So far Samsung, HTC, chargers are working, every usb to microusb lead from 2different laptops have worked. The amps dictate how fast the charge and if your using your tablet while charging you may find the charger not keeping up with usage rate. I get this on my phone in the car sometimes if I'm only using a .5amp cable. Check your usb/microusb cables as some are .5 amp rated and some are 1amp rated.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
More and more devices are going away from removeable storage. Welcome to the cloud.
Don't need Bluetooth for Skype.
Tethered to my oneX gives me wifi supported location services.
Glad to hear the Arc is different than the Vox when it comes to charging.

For me the solutions you mention are all hacks or work arounds to fundamental shortcomings of the Arc. That said if you're happy then that's great. I certainly am not.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote