Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ad-supported Kindle Touch - no ads?

I've had my ad-supported Kindle Touch for a couple of months now, and have been getting the ads updated every few days. For the last couple of days, though, the screensaver's been saying "Please connect wirelessly to download the latest special offers". I've left the wireless on for several hours, but still no ads.

I'm in the UK, where the ad-supported Kindle is not officially sold. I'm just wondering if Amazon have made some change which means that ads are no longer being sent to Kindles which aren't in the US?

Obviously this doesn't matter, because I can't take advantage of the special offers anyway, but I was just wondering out of curiosity if anyone else had seem this recently?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
They were discussing this issue over at KindleBoards, so what you're experiencing is also happening to other non-US owners.

Amazon hasn't sent out any Special Offers for 16 days now. My Kindle currently has a total of 8 ads and 0 Special Offers on it. Six of the ads are AmazonLocal (US only), one is an ad for Editors' Picks and the last one is an ad telling me to connect daily for new Special Offers; which, by the way, I've never received.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks - good to hear that it's not just me . I thought at first that it might be a WiFi problem, but the web browser works fine, so that seemed to rule that out.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I think Amazon should probably just change the name to Kindle with Ads. It is definitely no longer a Kindle with Special Offers.

The last special offer was well before Thanksgiving...the more recent ones are either deals that everyone gets (like the soap.com one) just for going to the website or they are just ads.
"Read the new *author* book."
"See the new Twilight movie".
"Look at Kindle's 100 books for $3.99"
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Having posted my previous message, my Touch has just started showing a "Read what we're reading - Browse Editors' Picks for January" ad.
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
toadhall
toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch
Harry, does your Touch show the Editor's Pick ad once and then the next time you put it to sleep, it shows the "Please connect wirelessly..." message?

Because that's what's happening to mine. I'm in Malaysia and the last ad I saw before the "Please connect wirelessly..." message turned up was the one from Zappos.

I notice that every time I restart the Touch, it will show 1 or 2 Amazon ads, once each, and then it will only show the "Please connect wirelessly..." until the next time I restart.

Very strange.
toadhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, that's exactly what I'm seeing.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
toadhall
toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.toadhall can teach chickens to fly.

Well, it's good to hear some confirmation at last.

When tubemonkey mentioned this particular issue had been discussed on KindleBoards, he probably meant me asking about it there! But I didn't get much information out of it.

My guess as to why this is happening is that when there are only 1 or 2 ads available on our Touches, this bug rears its head. It's too bad we don't get AmazonLocal ads as well.

Or maybe it's a bug that was introduced with 5.0.3.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadhall View Post
Well, it's good to hear some confirmation at last.

When tubemonkey mentioned this particular issue had been discussed on KindleBoards, he probably meant me asking about it there! But I didn't get much information out of it.

My guess as to why this is happening is that when there are only 1 or 2 ads available on our Touches, this bug rears its head. It's too bad we don't get AmazonLocal ads as well.

It was you.

I find the AmazonLocal ads to be totally worthless, and my Kindle currently has six of them. I don't mind the ads being present when Special Offers are also present; but right now, there aren't any Special Offers at all. The last one was 16 days ago. What happened to the exclusive offers for KSO owners?

And welcome to MobileRead. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I wonder if the ads are timed to appear at specific times? That might explain why we're seeing ads some of the time, and the "Please connect..." screen at others.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
toadhall

Thanks tubemonkey I've been lurking for a few months now but felt this was a topic I should post in.

The AmazonLocal ads might be worthless (well, they certainly are when you're outside of the US) but I would I might find them more aesthetically pleasing than having something that amounts to nothing more than an error message on my screensaver.

My guess as to why the ads only appear at certain times is that is the time when a new ad is supposed to show. It somehow "refreshes" the ad cycle in the Touch, shows the new ad once, and then shows the "Please connect wirelessly..." until you restart or a new ad is timed to show.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Thanks tubemonkey I've been lurking for a few months now but felt this was a topic I should post in.

The AmazonLocal ads might be worthless (well, they certainly are when you're outside of the US) but I would I might find them more aesthetically pleasing than having something that amounts to nothing more than an error message on my screensaver.
You're welcome.

Several of the Local ads are quite nice from a visual point of view, so I can see your point.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Lots of the local ads themselves have been largely worthless. But, I've grabbed a few that have made the lady-wife happy (a couple of spa packages for really cheap and salon stuff). Past that, though... I've not seen anything come across locally that was very good.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
hardcorehead87
hardcorehead87 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
This isn't related to the 5.0.3 update ;-)..
I have also noticed this problem with my kindle touch on firmware 5.0.0.
After updating the problem is still there.

If you ask me, its the add-supported kindles coupled to non-us amazon accounts.
Because of this problem I was also looking into removing the ads on my kindle.
There is supposed to be a way to pay amazon to do this.
But apparently the option isn't available in my amazon account.
hardcorehead87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
persiomenezes
persiomenezes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi+3g)
I have a Kindle 3 SO and I live in Brazil. I am having this problem too. Any solution? How to get ride of ads and transform an K3SO on a K3????
persiomenezes is offline   Reply With Quote