Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #16
joQ
joQ is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs 350
So... is the 7" Sony better for web surfing, or the rooted Nook touch, or the Kobo touch? I read a ton of blogs and want to save my eyes some strain.
joQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
I owe a Kobo Touch, Nook touch and a eeeNote. None of them would offer you a relaxing experience with browsing. If it is just for that get yourself a tablet or a 9-10" ereader.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #18
patrickwest
patrickwest doesn't litterpatrickwest doesn't litter

Device: Nook B&W E-ink
Talking

Quote:
So.... in the end.. what are the real advantages of getting (and rooting) an Android eink ereader ?
For me it was iSilo. I have some iSilo formatted files I wanted to use on the e-ink screen.

I am 53 and I purchased a used original Nook last year shortly after the color Nook came out. I find reading on the 6 inch e-ink screen vastly better then on my iPaq 210's vga 4 inch screen or my iPodTouch4 's 3.5 inch Retina display.

So on Black Friday I purchased a Nook Touch. I followed the steps on the web and now I can switch between the regular Nook interface and reader and an Android launcher with iSilo.

iSilo works alright except for the file names are not visible in the document list. So I've kept the list short, just the WtPub2010 and the Rbi8.

As a bonus I found I can run the Android version of OliveTree's BibleReader. And use all the Bible Translations I have purchased for it on other platforms over the last ten years.

I have not tried Laridian's PocketBible as the Android version is only in Alpha
http://blog.laridian.com/?cat=15

All my Nook books from B&N work on the Nook side, so I'm happy. The epubs I have purchased elsewhere also work once I connected the Nook Touch to Adobe's Adobe Digital Editions.

I have a few books from Fictionwise and ereader.com in the ereader/PeanutReader format. I was able to download the Beta of the Android release of ereader use it to open those on the Nook Touch. I have not figured out how to get it to open ereader books from other sites. I haven't tried very hard yet.

Patrick West

Last edited by patrickwest; 12-13-2011 at 12:36 AM.
patrickwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post
Dua, know exactly how you feel. I got a kobo and iPad. Both don't fill the gap. Debating a nook touch rooted with vnc tosave the eyes but really I should wait for mirasol displays? Truth is they could be blocked until the kindle marketing drive abates... Another year who knows
have a look at Onyx M92, there is a very good review posted by jbaach on the forum dedicated to this device. He created videos and sample files and aswered tons of questions from the users who are reading that thread. The debate is still going on but my impression is that M92 is getting there, we finally have an ereader capable of doing good work at 10"!!!
6-7" is the domain of leisure, casual reading
10" serious studying

PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote