Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Ad-Supported Kindle?

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/04/...er-kindle.html

Quote:
The online retailer was set to announce Tuesday that the new Kindle with Special Offers will cost $114 - $25 less than the currently lowest-priced Kindle - and include advertisements on the bottom of the device's home page and on its screen savers. Seattle-based Amazon will start shipping the newest Kindle on May 3, and it will also be sold in Target and Best Buy stores on that date.
odd.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Just read the news on Engadget. I like the idea, but amazon will be on the loosing side with all the hacks and cracks for the device.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I don't really get it. The difference between a 3G and Wifi-only Kindle is ~ $50. Do they really expect to pick up much extra difference when the price between the ad-free Wifi and ad-supported Wifi is only $25? If they could get it under $100, then they'd at least cross a psychological barrier where (potentially) a lot more people would buy one, but $114 vs. $139 doesn't seem that exciting to me.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
$25?? Not nearly enough savings to fuss with.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
but Kindle director Jay Marine seems to think that "customers are going to love it."
Really? Customers loving add? Off course they would love to get rid of it the first thing.
Don't know if it will work with an ereader but add supported discounted tablet or phone could be an interesting scenario.
Would pay $50 more to stay away from any add while I am reading.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Kindle 3
$25 is $25, I might consider it if I was buying a new Kindle. I bet they'll sell a boatload, but then they would have sold a ton of the regular version anyway. Some of the offers seem very worthwhile, too, depending on how often they actually send decent ones:

Special Offers
You'll receive special offers directly on your Kindle. Examples include:
$10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card
$6 for 6 Audible Books (normally $68)
$1 for an album in the Amazon MP3 Store (choose from over 1 million albums)
$10 for $30 of products in the Amazon Denim Shop or Amazon Swim Shop
rogerVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
theGsayeth
bling bling
theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: amazon kindle
How quickly will those ads be hacked by clever kindle users? (Hmm, do we know anyone like that on this board?)
theGsayeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerVA View Post
Special Offers

You'll receive special offers directly on your Kindle. Examples include:
$10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card
Now granted, math was never my best subject in school, but just how does a company give away $20 worth of merchandise for $10? It would have to be something like "...with the purchase of $100 or more", wouldn't it?
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Kindle 3
Well LivingSocial had a deal once where $10 got you a $20 amazon gift card, so they've done it before. I bet they'll offer that rarely if again.
rogerVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Koland alread loves it:

Quote:
In fact, even if you already have a latest generation Kindle, may want to pick up one of these just to get the ads (I'd like that offer for a $20 gift card for $10, the $1 MP3 albums and $1/each for 6 Audio-books isn't a bad deal either, so long as you aren't forced into a long-term, expensive subscription plan).
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I am doing some beta testing for the device. Some of the screen savers can be kind of embarrassing.

Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Now granted, math was never my best subject in school, but just how does a company give away $20 worth of merchandise for $10? It would have to be something like "...with the purchase of $100 or more", wouldn't it?
Not necessarily.
Groupon, among others, has been doing offers like that regularly.
The idea is that giving a few hundred/thousand such deals to actual customers is more cost effective advertising than giving the money to Google or some other giant media company.
B&N for one generated a nice buzz a few weeks ago when word got around that some people were buying Nooks at half price with multiple coupons.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Hmmmm....I think that the price point for an ad supported Kindle should be less than $100. I wouldn't want one--I'd rather not have someone trying to sell me something each time I pick up my eReader. But, I think at less than $100 they'd sell like crazy.

Question--are these set to replace the current Kindles or will users still be able to pay the higher price and get a Kindle without ads? If not, I'm willing to bet that quite a few potential buyers will go with the nook or the Sony (or other e-ink device) to avoid ads.

Edit--Just answered my own question above--went to Amazon's webpage and they're advertising the $114 with special offers; $139 wi-fi; and $189 wi-fi +3g.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
At $114 they're missing the boat - target should be $99 or lower for the ad-supported model.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
$25 discount isn't enough discount to interest me
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote