Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Huh. I ran a website page through HTML Tidy, then uploaded the Tidied page as a test and looked at it.

It's a mess!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil 0.6x offers you different levels of "Clean Source" settings: full-blown Html-Tidy (which will do what it has to do to whip your code into compliance), Pretty-Print (which in addition to its self-explanatory name, will still fix some egregious errors), and Off. But even Off won't allow you to proceed in an invalid state.

Turning Html-Tidy "Off" in Sigil 0.5.3 is basically the same as selecting "Pretty Print" in 0.6.x's Clean Source preferences.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-31-2013 at 09:18 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Back up! Back up!
Yes, of course! In earlier versions of Sigil it was essential to press Ctrl-S before ANY operation - certainly before any search/replace! It's a whole lot more stable now.

But give us poor fallible writers a break! "Tidy" is there to help those of us who can't write correct code (which is all of us, sometimes). "Save as is" would help those of us who can't quickly spot an error, but forgot to Save for a few minutes (which is all of us, sometimes).

Sigil must HAVE an internal format, showing the page "as is". How about a new command "freeze session"? It's not always feasible to put the WHOLE computer into Hibernate.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think (s)he just meant "back up"... as in "back up a moment". "Take a step back in the conversation. Not "back up your work."
Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Yes, of course! In earlier versions of Sigil it was essential to press Ctrl-S before ANY operation - certainly before any search/replace! It's a whole lot more stable now.

But give us poor fallible writers a break! "Tidy" is there to help those of us who can't write correct code (which is all of us, sometimes). "Save as is" would help those of us who can't quickly spot an error, but forgot to Save for a few minutes (which is all of us, sometimes).

Sigil must HAVE an internal format, showing the page "as is". How about a new command "freeze session"? It's not always feasible to put the WHOLE computer into Hibernate.
Sorry:

I get the problem, but I think that's a really bad idea, for all the reasons that have been stated a bunch of times. If someone's ePUB is mucked up, then if they want a "preserved" but improper ePUB, maybe they should merge it and save it as an XHTML file. Wouldn't that work?

I mean, this is nothing compared to Ye Olden PSO'D (Pink Screen O'Death) days.

I've been doing a ton of merging, using...was it Diap's idea?, or Wolfie's....and using Toxaris' Fontshrinker. Merging is 5 seconds, literally, and you can copy + paste into whatever HTML editor you use in another 5 seconds. Kablammo, you're done. That would save a mid-stage ePUB that wasn't compliant, and you could back up the actual ePUB to a point of compliance and save it. You'd still have your styles, images, any outboard files (like Apple files), and your in-process XHTML in your HTML editor. {shrug}. Seems like a viable and very, very fast workaround for this issue.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #21
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Turning Html-Tidy "Off" in Sigil 0.5.3 is basically the same as selecting "Pretty Print" in 0.6.x's Clean Source preferences.
Good to know! Thank you.

Sorta scary though to realize that I have run perhaps ten books through 0.5.3 without ever messing with the Tidy option. I reckon this means that they have all been HTML-Tidied without my knowledge?

And the first thing I do when I open an html file is to save it as booktitle.epub. In doing that, have I already invoked HTML Tidy?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think (s)he just meant "back up"... as in "back up a moment". "Take a step back in the conversation. Not "back up your work."
Okay, that whole sequence of "who's on first" is the funniest thing I've seen on MR in DAYS.

{smilingly}
Hitch
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #23
Notjohn
mostly an observer

I am glad to have contributed to your smile, Hitch.

(Notjohn is a male, as it happens. Otherwise she would have adopted the nom du web of Notjoan.)
Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
(Notjohn is a male, as it happens. Otherwise she would have adopted the nom du web of Notjoan.)
I figured, but I just wanted to play it safe. Carol is technically Notjohn too, ya know.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I figured, but I just wanted to play it safe. Carol is technically Notjohn too, ya know.
But there was a hockey player for the Boston Bruins who's first name was Carol.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I am glad to have contributed to your smile, Hitch.

Yes, notjoan: ;-)

I've been puttering and muttering "back up! back up!" around the office for the last few days, getting a kick out of it. It's a valuable lesson on why emphasis in language matters. When we have a miscommunication with a client, I say it to myself. It helps.

And, really, doesn't "notjoan" fit, as well, when you think about it? Or maybe we should all just stick to "Carol."

H
Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, notjoan: ;-)

I've been puttering and muttering "back up! back up!" around the office for the last few days, getting a kick out of it. It's a valuable lesson on why emphasis in language matters. When we have a miscommunication with a client, I say it to myself. It helps.

And, really, doesn't "notjoan" fit, as well, when you think about it? Or maybe we should all just stick to "Carol."

H
I think Wanda fits better then Carol for NotJohn.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think Wanda fits better then Carol for NotJohn.
Wanda Writer?

Hitch
Old 02-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wanda Writer?

Hitch
And her partner Wayne (Muppets reference)
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #30
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
A Fish called Notjohn ?
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote