Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #406
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirokko View Post
This is the MD5 hash for all kernels which I found:
Code:
99c31fa3ad2618e577194a912f139550  diags_kernel_forensic.img
3566d91f123e609b6a1aa8e679d65bfc  diags_kernel_hostar.img
2e880fdfd48c3d460151c5051ca8161b  main_kernel_forensic.img
f8ee194c84bbc824537b469265785691  main_kernel_hostar.img
2e880fdfd48c3d460151c5051ca8161b  main_kernel_mediafire.img
As you can see, main kernel form forensic server and from mediafire are the same. The main kernel from hostar differ from main kernel form forensic.
pastebin images are 4.0.1. Hostar's images are older 4.0.0.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #407
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Possible problem?

Nobody panic (yet), this may be a false report from the arm mkimage tool!

Code:
 $ gunzip main_kernel-5.1.0.img.gz
 $ file main_kernel-5.1.0.img
main_kernel-5.1.0.img: u-boot legacy uImage, Linux-2.6.31-rt11-lab126, Linux/ARM, OS Kernel Image (Not compressed), 5173248 bytes, Wed Apr  4 22:41:49 2012, Load Address: 0x70008000, Entry Point: 0x70008000, Header CRC: 0xD06DD1C2, Data CRC: 0x723AAEFD
 $ mkimage -l main_kernel-5.1.0.img
mkimage: ERROR: "main_kernel-5.1.0.img" has corrupted data!
That message is coming from u-boot/tools/default_image.c when it does a crc32 on the data area.
I don't see anything wrong with the code ...
(and the 64 byte header already passed the crc32 test)

Will be taking a closer look at this.
Since I want to re-use parts of the tool sources for an un-make-uImage tool.

Edit:
Theory #1 - This kernel image file was bspatched to 5.1 in the field from an earlier version and our friends at lab126 did not bother to also bspatch the crc32 checksum to match.

Last edited by knc1; 06-24-2012 at 11:29 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #408
guybrushT
guybrushT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch
Hi All,

Been pointed to this thread by Silver18 in regards to help with replacing the files on a K4NT so that it is reset to factory conditions.

Firstly my Kindle isn't bricked and completely works, it has just had a screensaver hack done to it.

I was wondering if I can copy over the file mmcblk0p1.img (from K4NT 4.0.1 forensic images) to my Kindle in Windows using a normal USB transfer, and then run the following commands in Putty when in Diags mode.

(From Silver18 noobs guide)

dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K

followed by

rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
idme -d --bootmode main
reboot

Would that do it? Or are other steps needed?

Thanks
guybrushT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #409
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrushT View Post
Hi All,

Been pointed to this thread by Silver18 in regards to help with replacing the files on a K4NT so that it is reset to factory conditions.

Firstly my Kindle isn't bricked and completely works, it has just had a screensaver hack done to it.

I was wondering if I can copy over the file mmcblk0p1.img (from K4NT 4.0.1 forensic images) to my Kindle in Windows using a normal USB transfer, and then run the following commands in Putty when in Diags mode.

followed by

rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
idme -d --bootmode main
reboot

Thanks
You can try it. If it does not work, then use fastboot to flash the matching 4.0.1 kernel. Beware that some have reported problems with the 4.0.1 images, so you may want to try the 4.0.0 images you can download from the second forensic images (hostar's) link in simple debricking first post.

Then you can upgrade to 4.0.1 or newer if you want. In fact, if you leave wireless on, it will probably automatically upgrade to 4.1.0...
Old 06-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #410
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrushT View Post
Hi All,

followed by

rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
idme -d --bootmode main
reboot

Thanks
If your Kindle was (is) running the 4.0.1 kernel now, then just re-installing the image as noted above should do it.
Otherwise, you also need to re-install a matching (main-k4-4.0.1 or whatever the matching name is) kernel also.

The reason:
These kernels use drivers and features as loadable modules, the kernel is in the kernel image but the kernel modules are in the file system image.

Grumble: It didn't have to be that way, but it was the way lab126 choose to do it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #411
guybrushT
guybrushT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch
Ok Thanks.

I doubt I can do this now then as when I replaced my original screen savers back in, I could upgrade to 4.1.

The problem now is the Kindle does not shut off ever from the screensaver. Permanently shows and image when it is off.
guybrushT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #412
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

Device: PW (7th Gen), PW (10th Gen)
Mirror for Pastebin including uploads of hostar's images in 7z format
http://snipurl.com/242cqty
Aleyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #413
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleyst View Post
Mirror for Pastebin including uploads of hostar's images in 7z format
http://snipurl.com/242cqty
Mirror link added to first post of this thread. Thanks!

(And welcome to the "2600 Club")

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-24-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #414
luisho
luisho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi!
When I try to upload the image mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img it show me that the file is too large.
--------------------------------------------------------
downloading 'diags'...
OKAY [ 5.310s]
writing 'diags'...
FAILED (remote: File too large for partition)
finished. total time: 5.312s
---------------------------------------------------------

Produto : Kindle Touch

What can I do ?

Regards
Luis
luisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #415
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisho View Post
Hi!
When I try to upload the image mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img it show me that the file is too large.
--------------------------------------------------------
downloading 'diags'...
OKAY [ 5.310s]
writing 'diags'...
FAILED (remote: File too large for partition)
finished. total time: 5.312s
---------------------------------------------------------

Produto : Kindle Touch

What can I do ?

Regards
Luis
EXCELLENT! Previous fastboot firmware reported "Success!" status even though it failed for exactly that reason.

What you should do is read the "simple debricking" sticky, or the simplified instructions in the "small debricking guide for noobs". You can find them in the Master Index sticky in the Dev Corner Forum.

Why did you fastboot flash a main partition that is clearly documented to NOT work?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #416
Rafalikezombies
Rafalikezombies began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
So... i did this, everything went fine, but at the end, after the last step, it didn't reboot, it froze in the diags screen wrote "E> 511 with device info" "Z> Enable USBnet" etc... i tried rebooting it with fastboot, but nothing happened... how do i procceed?
Rafalikezombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #417
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafalikezombies View Post
So... i did this, everything went fine, but at the end, after the last step, it didn't reboot, it froze in the diags screen wrote "E> 511 with device info" "Z> Enable USBnet" etc... i tried rebooting it with fastboot, but nothing happened... how do i procceed?
Which files did you use?
I had the same problem, if you used the 4.0.1 files.
Grab the 4.0.0 files.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #418
Rafalikezombies
Rafalikezombies began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
It works, but can i update to 4.1.0, directly from 4.0.0?
Rafalikezombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #419
Aleyst
Zealot

Yes, I did, but you still might have the same issue, which means you need to go look at the link I gave you about undoing the ssh screensaver hack, if the runme restore doesn't work
Old 07-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #420
geekmaster

MAJOR UPDATE: There has been a successful debricking of a K3, using the freescale AdvancedToolKit (K3 version of MfgTool)! Click the success report from qlob below for details.

There is currently a separate thread for development of K3 debricking using a similar "simple debricking" method: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183147

Tags
debricking