Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Buddy13
overt-ops.com
Buddy13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Aspect Ratio for Covers?

While creating ePubs of my first book, I've decided to create a nice cover image for it. However, I created it a 8.5x11 inches. But the aspect ratio on the Kobo squishes it a bit.

Does anyone know the aspect ratio of the Kobo screen? Or better yet, the exact pixel dimensions (Kobos don't even use pixels, do they?).

Would this aspect ratio be standard for most other eReaders, as well?
Buddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I think Calibre will convert the cover to what ever size the Kobo Touch uses.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
BryanK
Connoisseur
BryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre added a 600x800 pixel cover to the epub I checked. I've been meaning to play around with this, so I'll let you know if I find anything different.
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is an option in Calibre to keep the aspect ration of the cover. It seems it's not being used.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Regardless of the options you used in calibre to convert the file. the Kobo will stretch the file to fit the screen.

SO for the OP the best options would be to create a cover that has a ratio of 3:4 as most reader have this screen size.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
Buddy13
overt-ops.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
Regardless of the options you used in calibre to convert the file. the Kobo will stretch the file to fit the screen.

SO for the OP the best options would be to create a cover that has a ratio of 3:4 as most reader have this screen size.
That seems a bit fat. 3:4 is like a non-widescreen TV, right?

Calibre didn't convert the cover I created, neither by altering the images dimensions nor by means of the dimensions specified on the titlepage.html

It just plops it in in its original dimensions, and the Kobo squishes it from the sides.

I guess the easiest thing to do would be to create a dummy ePub and have the cover be a 3:4 image with a perfect circle in the middle. Then try to maybe adjust the size bit by bit until it is also a perfect circle on the Kobo.

Sorry for the slow reply, I could've sworn I set the thing to "Instant email notification" but I only just got the email.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
I created a 800x600 cover for a book and it still got "squished from the sides." Just weird behaviour.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
Buddy13
overt-ops.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canorka View Post
I created a 800x600 cover for a book and it still got "squished from the sides." Just weird behaviour.
Is there an official spec anywhere that defines the aspect ratio or pixel dimensions?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #9
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Not that I know of, but maybe? There has been a little prior discussion surrounding this topic though, which is where I got the 800x600 pixels ratio from.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:27 AM   #10
Buddy13
overt-ops.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canorka View Post
Not that I know of, but maybe? There has been a little prior discussion surrounding this topic though, which is where I got the 800x600 pixels ratio from.
If anything, it should be 600x800, being that it's portrait oriented...
Old 10-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
The device takes what ever cover image it finds in the epub and converts it to some of the following:

- iPhoneThumbnail.parsed'- 103,150),
- bbMediumGridList.parsed' - 93,135),
- NickelBookCover.parsed' - 500,725),
- N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed' - 355,530),
- N3_LIBRARY_GRID.parsed' - 149,233),
- N3_LIBRARY_LIST.parsed' - 60,90),
- N3_FULL.parsed' - 600,800),
- N3_SOCIAL_CURRENTREAD.parsed' - 120,186)

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote