Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
sliming
sliming began at the beginning.

Device: PC
TOC in mobi doesn't link to Go To in Kindle

0.8.16 is converting my book properly. The TOC generated by Calibre is correct, but when I publish to Kindle, the TOC option is grayed out as a Go To option. The Kindle forums call out special tags for the TOC, but I am not sure how to add them if Calibre is doing the conversion. If I test run in Kindle PC, I get the proper Go To option for TOC, but the Contents option on the left hand side produces the full TOC on the left instead of the basic options. My guess is there is something not quite right with the conversion to .mobi. Is there an option to make the link to the Go To options?
sliming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
This sticky post, Chapter Detection/Table of Contents Tutorial, at the top of the conversion sub-forum might help you out.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
sliming

During my first attempt, I eventually did what the chapter suggested, which was use the metadata TOC at the beginning. It looks great and what I would expect from a book, but the link to the kindle content buttons is not working. The post on the <guide> tag is similar to what Kindle forums are calling out. The steps are a little different so this would be worth doing.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
sliming

Final answer: you have to purchase the book. A purchased copy enables the TOC link. Someone on the Kindle forum pointed me in the right direction.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliming View Post
Final answer: you have to purchase the book. A purchased copy enables the TOC link. Someone on the Kindle forum pointed me in the right direction.
You need someone more versed with the kindle, but you can create a TOC that links from the Go to TOC button in the kindle without purchasing the book.

Hopefully someone with expertise will stop by.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You need someone more versed with the kindle, but you can create a TOC that links from the Go to TOC button in the kindle without purchasing the book.

Hopefully someone with expertise will stop by.
if you guys are talking about the menu -> goto... -> table of contents function of the kindle, i've converted many (virtually every one) books with calibre that do that.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote