Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How should Amazon improve the next Kindle? (pick 3)
Folders and/or tags 61 65.59%
ePub support 36 38.71%
Access to DRMed content from alternate sources 24 25.81%
Do away with DRM 34 36.56%
Make it available outside the U.S. 22 23.66%
Add an ombudsman (or listen to your customers) 5 5.38%
Add an SD Card 27 29.03%
Add a Software API/SDK 13 13.98%
Open up the hardware 5 5.38%
Color Screen with superfast refresh rates 5 5.38%
More robust PDF support 17 18.28%
Improve the Kindle Store 9 9.68%
Price 17 18.28%
Other (explain in post) 9 9.68%
None (I love my current device) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
How should Amazon improve the next Kindle? (pick 3)

You may want to read the companion article before voting: Top ten improvements for a future Kindle

(vote for your top 3 features/improvements)
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You left off "make it a Sony."

:ducks and runs for cover, giggling like a crazy woman:

KIDDING!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You just wait till Duck Season.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Broader Unicode font support. (CJK, Cyrillic)
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I selected both "more robust PDF support" and "ePub support", but more generally I think supporting as many additional formats as possible (LIT, HTML, DOC, RTC, etc.) natively should be the goal.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I'd like a replaceable battery.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Give some karma to Strether for living in Fresno.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
This is a great poll but I was sorry I could only choose three. I ended up picking the three I thought would be best for me personally, not the three I thought would be best for All Civilization, if you follow me.

But I would have liked to be able to pick more :-)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Umm, it says pick 3, but I was able to pick 5?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
Johannes
Enthusiast
Johannes began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad
add WiFi...
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since we could only pick 3, I did. I picked ePub, API/SDK, and other.

The problem with the DX as it stands is it is too expensive for what it can actually do. It's reflowable format is Mobipocket. They should have added ePub. That would have worked quite nicely. PDF is ok for some things, but for a proper format, ePub is needed. Might as well add in MS Reader while you are at it and then add in folder. What's good with 3500 books if you cannot organize them? To be honest, I do see someone else coming out with a 9.7" screen that will be better then the DX due to better software and/or hardware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #12
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Give some karma to Strether for living in Fresno.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
bob315
Enthusiast
bob315 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My "other" choice: better editing for many of the books for the Kindle (at least the subset I have purchased).
bob315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
ny10522
Enthusiast
ny10522 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Kindle2, Kindle Touch 3G, Ipod Touch
1. Better contrast or darker fonts (can't believe this was not a choice)
2. Replaceable battery
ny10522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
grisjuan
Enthusiast
grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS
Not as slippery.

Smaller bezel.

Ditch the keyboard to make a smaller device.
grisjuan is offline   Reply With Quote