Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #121
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Having read the follow-up replies, and going back to Hitch's earlier post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
The DX may be a K7, but when it comes to more complex books, I need that smaller screen so I can evaluate what the final result will really look like.
Is that all I'm missing out on with the earlier version of KP, i.e. a "smaller screen"? If that's the only difference, I could probably live with that, and just use my imagination as to how things might look on a smaller screen, as long as the KDX preview in the latest KP is rendering things in the same way.

If that's the case, then what's the size of that (or those) smaller screen(s)?
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #122
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
600 x 800 pixels in a 6" screen. You can see the specifications of lots of devices in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #123
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
600 x 800 pixels in a 6" screen. You can see the specifications of lots of devices in our wiki.
I took a peek -- wow, talk about TMI.

All joking aside, when I preview in KP as KDX, is how books are rendering text, etc. consistent with those other devices, it's basically just the size of the window that's different? If so, then I suppose I could just live with that -- I've got a vivid enough imagination to picture the window size different, and my main concern is how the text/images are being rendered/displayed.

If there's another aspect that I'm missing out on, though (apart from just window size), well, then I would certainly be more concerned about wanting to be able to preview in that.
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #124
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Well the window size determines the number of characters on a line and the number of lines on a page. Pagination is a particular issue with smaller screens which today is evidenced on Smart phones. Will a picture fit and look right, will paragraphs (or even words) split in awkward ways, do the headings stay with the text that they are supposed to be with. How does smaller text and images appear on a low resolution screen. These are all part of the reading experience.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 12-19-2013 at 12:33 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #125
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast
Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
I don't know if thread necromancy is frowned upon here, but this exchange is golden, as are Hitch and RnbJrg's imput.
I just hope this isn't hoplessly outdated.
Land_Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #126
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Outcast View Post
I don't know if thread necromancy is frowned upon here, but this exchange is golden, as are Hitch and RnbJrg's imput.
I just hope this isn't hoplessly outdated.
Well, at least my code is still usable Just take in count that the solutions based on svg, they have issues under the new Kindle format (.KFX). You won't be able to get a .KFX ebook if you include .svg images (you only will have a .kf8 book without enhanced typesetting). So, if you want text on an image and a .KFX ebook (and enhanced typesetting), forget (for the moment) svg images; instead use the solution based on a background image (I checked it and works fine with .KFX).
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #127
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast
Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!

The long dead thread is risen, we might just as well dance with it…

Do you know of any way to manage to set a continuous background for a book, without going for
Code:
html {
    background: #FFF3E9 url(../image/background.jpg) no-repeat center center fixed; 
  background-size: cover;
  height:100%
}

body {
height:100%
}
given that it is not supported by ADE? (that was the query which led me here).

Regarding support for SVGs in .KFX, that's so sad, especially considering that of course I want enhanced typesetting. And I've been reading quite a bit on SVG, but no knowledge is in vain, it will sure come handy eventually.
Spoiler:
Enhanced Typesetting
Kindle eBooks with Enhanced Typesetting include exclusive new features that give customers an easier reading experience, more control, and better quality. Enhanced Typesetting is applied only to reflowable format Kindle books (uploaded in EPUB, MOBI, DOC, DOCX, or HTML).

Kindle eBooks with Enhanced Typesetting include:

Page Flip: Page Flip is a reimagined Kindle navigation experience that makes it easy for customers to get bird’s eye view of your book while always saving their place. Read more about Page Flip here.

Progressive download: Progressive download allows a customer to start reading their book while it is still downloading. Once the customer starts reading the book, they can navigate anywhere in the book and the download continues at their current location.

High definition visuals (HDV) support: Images are an important part of the reading experience and help authors tell their stories and engage with readers. With high definition visual support, Amazon improves on unique eBook experiences such as image zooming, pinching, and panning, and takes advantage of newer display technologies and device capabilities.

Font size layout improvement: Kindle with Enhanced Typesetting automatically adjusts when the font size is large or the line length is short, to improve readability by preventing large gaps between words or squished text. For example, at larger text sizes, Kindle will fall back to left-aligned text or reduce landscape two-column text to one column.

Drop caps: Drop caps automatically adapt their line height to the customer's screen size and font settings.

Ragged right justification: Text with a ragged right margin is more natural to read and requires less adjustment to finesse. This enables customers to change the current default setting (full justified) to left aligned (ragged right) instead.

Hyphenation and smoother word spacing: Advanced hyphenation and justification provide more consistent word spacing and reduce distracting gaps of white space in the text.

Kerning and ligatures: Kerning eases word shape recognition by removing subconsciously distracting spaces between specific letter pairs

Dynamic color contrast: With Enhanced Typesetting, text of any color will be legible above any background color. Font colors will adapt automatically to provide sufficient contrast with either the device color theme chosen by the reader or to the background color of any page-level element.

Enhanced table formatting: With Enhanced Typesetting, readers can see the full text of tables adjusted for smart layout on different device sizes. Larger tables open with full size text in an upgraded table viewer with pan and zoom. Text in tables is selectable for highlights or notes.

MathML: Enhanced Typesetting supports MathML, which can be used for mathematical notation and mathematical content.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #128
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast

Tried this… it does show up in a test book in ADE, and works as it should, but something in my real book must be impeding it.
Code:
div.Basic-Text-Frame {
    border-style: solid;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 2.5em 2.5em 0 0; 
    background: url(../image/bordes.jpg) no-repeat right fixed; 
    background-size: contain;
    }

/*The background is actually pretty 
similar to what you helped in the original thread with, a vertical right-aligned image*/

Last edited by Land_Outcast; 05-25-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #129
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast

The weird thing is that even when I pretty much erase the CSS (save for the mentioned <div> definition), the complete book doesn't show the background image.
I'm confused. It ended up being identical to the test-book, but for the amount of content.
I'm uploading a shortened version of the real book with almost no CSS (background doesn't show up in ADE), and the test book (background shows up in ADE), in case any of you can make any sense of it.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Background_realbook. Mi libro d - Lourdes Ferro.epub (2.84 MB, 137 views)
File Type: epub Back img - RbnJrg.epub (135.9 KB, 161 views)
Old 05-25-2020, 11:28 PM   #130
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The weird thing is that even when I pretty much erase the CSS (save for the mentioned <div> definition), the complete book doesn't show the background image.
I'm confused. It ended up being identical to the test-book, but for the amount of content.
I'm uploading a shortened version of the real book with almost no CSS (background doesn't show up in ADE), and the test book (background shows up in ADE), in case any of you can make any sense of it.
What version of ADE are you using? In my quick test both ADE 2.0.1 and ADE 4.5 showed the background image in your test book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE2.png
Views:	133
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	179515   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE45.png
Views:	135
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	179516  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:25 AM   #131
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Hey, David, I'm relieved (and at the same time, not) to see it is a local issue.
I'm using ADE 4.5.11, just reinstalled in case that was the matter, removed the book from ADE's library and added it back in...
Now I'm worried I can't trust that testing stage (as little as I did, but hey).
Old 05-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #132
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The long dead thread is risen, we might just as well dance with it…

Do you know of any way to manage to set a continuous background for a book...
What you did was right, just a little error with the path to the border image. I fixed and now all works fine in ADE. The css code is now:

Code:
div.Basic_Text_Frame {
    border-style: 0;
    padding: 2.5em 6em 0 0;
    background: url("../Images/bordes.jpg") no-repeat 100% 0; 
}
Below you can check the respective epub. By the way, I also fixed the right padding of the border image, so the paragraphs can be read well at the end.

[Lo que tú hiciste estuvo bien, excepto por un pequeño error en la indicación del trayecto hacia la imagen que hace de guarda a la derecha (fijate que el trayecto tiene que ir entre comillas y no es "../image/" sino "..images/") y ahora todo funciona bien en ADE. También corregí el padding derecho de la imagen de guarda, así los párrafos no se superponen con la imagen de fondo y se leen bien].

Saludos
Rubén
Attached Files
File Type: epub Background_realbook. Mi libro d - Lourdes Ferro.epub (2.84 MB, 158 views)
Old 05-26-2020, 12:08 PM   #133
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@Rubén Out of curiosity, did you do a Restructure Epub to Sigil Norm on the variant you generated?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #134
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
@Rubén Out of curiosity, did you do a Restructure Epub to Sigil Norm on the variant you generated?
Yes, I do
Old 05-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #135
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast

Thanks, Rubén. Damn that was sloppy (the lack of quotation marks and the image*s* thing. Both things are going into my Don't Forget list.

Muchas gracias, contesto en inglés para que los demás puedan seguir la historia con comodidad, pero me he sorprendido de encontrar varios hispanohablantes en estos foros… o al menos, que lo dejen manifiesto. Saludos desde Montevideo.

Just modified a pair of properties (I found position:100% bit some pixels off the right side of the image; and attachment I needed the image not to scroll, in case there is scrolling).
Code:
div.Basic_Text_Frame {
    border-style: 0;
    padding: 2.5em 6em 0 0;
    background: url("../Images/bordes.jpg") no-repeat 99% fixed; 
}
But for some reason I still can't see it in ADE. I'll try in another PC.