Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
BooksOnBoard matches Amazon prices

We already noticed that Sony lowered prices of most of their ebooks to be almost as low as Amazon, but now another ebook retailer went all the way to match them.
Quote:
BooksOnBoard.com, claimed by some in the ebook blogosphere, to be the best priced ebook retailer, is meeting Amazon’s new Kindle initiative head on by bringing many ebook versions of many hardcover releases down to the same $9.99. “We want our customers to have as good a price as possible at all times,” said Bob LiVolsi, president of BooksOnBoard.com, “We have a reputation for offering some of the best prices in the industry and will continue to support that. We do not guarantee price matching, but we try.”
Full release.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
The best quote is this one; I was one of those customers too:

"In August 2006, Amazon quietly deleted the bookshelves of all of its ebook customers - bookshelves it had promoted as backup for customers ebook purchases. This left tens of thousands of customers without their investment in ebooks. Then in August 2007, Amazon allowed its Mobipocket subsidiary’s servers to be shut down for ten days without warning and without explanation during or after to its customers.

When Amazon tells people to store their ebook libraries on their servers, LiVolsi said, they are relying on people to have short memories, bad judgment or an unawareness of Amazon’s ebook history."
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint is still US$22.36 at BooksOnBoard, when the paperback lists for $15.95. (Granted, at FictionWise it's still $27.95.) It's a Tor book. Here's hoping Tor will follow through with the Baen deal.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint is still US$22.36 at BooksOnBoard, when the paperback lists for $15.95. (Granted, at FictionWise it's still $27.95.) It's a Tor book. Here's hoping Tor will follow through with the Baen deal.
I am surprised that Tor's book exists in ebook format at all.

AFAIK Tor is refusing to publish its books in ebook format.
There is no Robert Jordan or Steven Erikson books on Amazon at all.

I have not checked yet for Stephen King, Glen Cook and Raymond E. Feist (I don't know if theiy are tied to Tor or not).
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I wondered if perhaps the hardcover of The Onion Girl had been published by someone else, but that's Tor too. (Also, I just checked, and the Kindle edition is now available for $9.99. So are the other 5 de Lint books Amazon offers. Ok, NOW I'm jealous.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
DanT
Connoisseur
DanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo
Well ereaders.com "lower" (I haven't check the price before so I don't know if it an actual lowering or has always been that price) their oinion girl to $9.86 newsletter price($10.95 normal) *Their newsletter give a coupon for 10% twice a week.

http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/3438
DanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
Monteagle
Monteagle began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700w
Onion Girl

Just FYI. Noticed BooksOnBoard.com did match the Amazon price of $9.99 on Onion Girl. Still reliably well-priced across the board. Some better, some worse, some the same as Amazon. Better than about everyone else. The price is what I actually end up putting on my credit card, not something I get when I redeem points or rebates later. Not sure how this will work for BooksOnBoard in the long run since they're not holding me hostage, but I'm okay with that.

Better still, I don't need to buy a new $400 device to get the price. Problem is in publisher list pricing, not retailer pricing. Someday, I'll end up with a dedicated ebook reader, but it will probably be $99, not $399. And I hope it will have the format I'm using now. I left books behind with my Rocket eBook, and left a lot more behind when Amazon deleted my bookshelves a year ago. I don't want to do that again. Still beats paper collecting dust at home, though.
Monteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #8
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
what was the problem with Amazon bookshelves. Did they not allow people to download their own back up copies. While every book I have purchased remains in my fictionwise bookshelves, I have a full back up of all files. Although once I have read most books they promptly get deleted.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Any way to read Books On Board on a Sony Reader? Do you use the Adobe Reader format?

Don't have a Sony Reader but anticipate getting one shortly

Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Any way to read Books On Board on a Sony Reader? Do you use the Adobe Reader format?

Don't have a Sony Reader but anticipate getting one shortly

Thanks
Purchase in MS Reader format, use ConvertLIT to strip the DRM and then use lit2lrf to convert it to LRF. Works quite easily and quite well.

You will however need a Windows system to do this. You need the Windows system to purchase the books and to strip the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Thanks Wolfman.

Where can I get ConvertLIT and lit2lrf? I use Windows XP so that shouldn't be a problem
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Then in August 2007, Amazon allowed its Mobipocket subsidiary’s servers to be shut down for ten days without warning and without explanation during or after to its customers.
This is pure FUD. Mobi shut down their own servers because of a suspected security breach - a highly courageous and ethical things to do. They were completely open about the reason it had occurred after the event.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You need the Windows system to purchase the books and to strip the DRM.
You do not need a Windows system to strip the DRM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:22 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But you do need a Windows system to purchase the book; a LIT book can only be purchased on a Windows machine with an "activated" copy of Microsoft Reader on it. We are discussing the legal removal of DRM from legally-purchased books here, naturally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:54 AM   #15
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But you do need a Windows system to purchase the book; a LIT book can only be purchased on a Windows machine with an "activated" copy of Microsoft Reader on it. We are discussing the legal removal of DRM from legally-purchased books here, naturally.
Yes, you even need Internet Explorer to download the lit books from BooksOnBoard (at least, it didn't work for me with Firefox).
Just on the price subject, I received today an offer to participate in a survey. I did so and got a promo code.
Here is the link : http://www.booksonboard.com/survey/
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote