Notices

Old 07-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #16
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

A few update thoughts

Hi,
I'm enjoying the new update so far.

- Had a lot of trouble getting the font update. Had to retry maybe 6 or 7 times. Quite often the device would turn itself off, without blanking the screen. Finally got it, but this level of difficulty is a bit worrying considering there are only some hundreds of us trying to download. Hope they get it right before they have a *lot* of users trying to connect. The first parts of the update went mostly OK - a few times the wired connection couldn't be found.

- I haven't noticed any new font usage. Anyone else?

- Confirm, sound can't be turned off. There should be an option to turn navigation sounds on and off. I still might want to listen to MP3s without having "plock" on every key press.

- The note taking is really quite useable now. However if you open a note template, an edited version is saved, even when you make no notes. All in all I'm unsure about this saving mechanism, but it will do for now.
The erase works fine here. It deletes the whole path touched by the eraser. (This is different from the option to draw in "white"). The screen redraw is poor though. The edges of the deleted path are still visible until the whole page is redrawn. Surely it should be possible and more efficient to do a redraw of a rectangle surrounding the deleted path? This is how I have programmed this kind of function in a Windows application. Maybe it's a limitation of eink.

- The battery indicator seems permanently disabled. (I remember in 2.4 it was only enabled in certain contexts...)

- The PDFs opening at the last page read helps a lot. Can zooming be the next big priority please!

- Menus are now much more readable with the longer file names.
The menus look nice, but there are too few entries per page. Remember, page turns are slow! Let's design with the hardware limitations in mind! Icons should be small, and the vertical size of entries should expand to accomodate descriptions if they exist. At the moment, a LOT of screen estate is wasted on entries with one-line file names and no description.
(BTW, do I have to write an XML file to give my files a description? One per file? I haven't experimented with this yet.)

Re. R2D2 - If I am reading a document, and I press DOCS, this takes me back to the document's folder. Doesn't this work for you?

I agree about the progress bar - silly to put this in the place of the page numbers.

There is quite a long way to go with the software side of the Iliad On the other hand I can see lots of potential I'm just surprised that iRex have released it in this state - if it was my baby I would have wanted it to be much more ready...

Mike
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:37 AM   #17
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
I can't understand this. iRex has our email address, but don't use it.
I would be so easy: one e-mail with "download of bug-free version now available" & everything would be clear.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay
...I'm just surprised that iRex have released it in this state - if it was my baby I would have wanted it to be much more ready....
Their releasing it before they were "ready" may have had something to do with the hoards of slavering customers yelling "Take my money NOW!"
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:19 PM   #19
bral
bral began at the beginning.

Dunno about you guys, but I just got a new software download...
bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:27 PM   #20
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Their releasing it before they were "ready" may have had something to do with the hoards of slavering customers yelling "Take my money NOW!"
True

And if they hadn't released it I would still be waaaaaiting...
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2006, 06:41 AM   #21
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
tried wlan again but no luck.
turned off wep & turbo-g but still wont connect even though the router said it has.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:29 AM   #22
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
- Had a lot of trouble getting the font update.
I had issues getting the updates in general. But I think it was an issue with
1. My wireless at home - if I held the unit up (rather than laying it on my desk), it seemed to work better.
2. Server issues at iRex.

The updates seemed to work fine in the afternoon, after I figured out that I needed to orient the device correctly when it tried to get a network connection.

Quote:
- I haven't noticed any new font usage. Anyone else?
Nope. No noticable font changes that I could see.

Quote:
- Confirm, sound can't be turned off. There should be an option to turn navigation sounds on and off. I still might want to listen to MP3s without having "plock" on every key press.
Personally, I like the noise. It isn't too loud on my unit and I like the feedback of knowing that the unit knows that I pressed a button.

Quote:
- The battery indicator seems permanently disabled. (I remember in 2.4 it was only enabled in certain contexts...)
It's working fine on my unit. But I really don't notice any improvement in battery life. We'll see by this afternoon since I intend to leave it on most of today.

Quote:
- The PDFs opening at the last page read helps a lot. Can zooming be the next big priority please!
Yes, that would make a bunch of my PDFs usable. Right now, the text is too small.

But I don't think they can do too much about it, though.

I have certain PDFs that are basically no more than a collection of pictures that are scans of books. They can't make the font bigger without making the unit scroll right/left.

The problem with PDFs is that they are print oriented, not eBook oriented. So many PDF creators make their PDFs to be printed on 8.5x11" paper - which means that the text is often too small on a half-page device like the iLiad.

Quote:
- Menus are now much more readable with the longer file names.
The menus look nice, but there are too few entries per page.
Yes, I like the longer file names. That was really nice, but I can handle the entries per page right now. I like the added information for each file that you can add by using a manifest.xml file.

Quote:
I agree about the progress bar - silly to put this in the place of the page numbers.
This seems like a temporary feature right now. It's something that it needed, so that we can see that it's doing something.

I think they will put more polish on that feature soon.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:32 AM   #23
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Issues that I have found:

1. Text doesn't wrap. But since the icon in the file list shows the "unknown" icon, I don't think that this feature is supposed to be there anyway.
2. I don't like that it creates a copy of a picture when I only view the picture. I can understand if I edit it, but not view only.
3. If you boot the unit with the memory expansion cards in it, it won't recognize the cards. I had to power the unit off, pull the cards out, fire the unit back up and put the cards back in to make it recognize them.

Overall, there are more things that I like than not like about this software version, though. So iRex is definately moving in the right direction.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #24
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
* I created a rather complex drawing when it suddenly was erased. Array out of bound perhaps?
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:22 AM   #25
bryanzs
Zealot
bryanzs doesn't litterbryanzs doesn't litter

Device: Nook HD+, Nook ST Glow, PocketBook 360, Nook Color
I've noticed that if you're in an open PDF, and tap your pen on the left side of the iLiad (next to the frame), it takes you back to the menu. I don't know if that's intentional, or a bug with the pen software.

Deleting of books still doesn't seem to work, and there doesn't even seem to be an option to delete items stored on expansion cards (at least, not on the SD card I'm using).

I thought I'd read that the up and down arrows are supposed to function as 'back' and 'forward' keys, but pressing them when in a PDF seems to just confuse the iLiad (the green light flashes and flashes...)
bryanzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:37 AM   #26
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzs
Deleting of books still doesn't seem to work, and there doesn't even seem to be an option to delete items stored on expansion cards (at least, not on the SD card I'm using).
Works for me: Tap trashcan, tap the book to delete (will display a blinking thing), tap trashcan to confirm.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:42 AM   #27
bryanzs
Zealot
bryanzs doesn't litterbryanzs doesn't litter

Device: Nook HD+, Nook ST Glow, PocketBook 360, Nook Color
Yes, sorry, just re-read the procedure - I'd selected the book, then tapped on the trash can. I didn't realise it was the other way round...

But I still don't find an option to delete from the SD card?
bryanzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:59 AM   #28
rlauzon
Wizard

Right. Deleting from the iLiad's internal memory works fine. But the delete icon is turned off when browsing either a CF or SD card.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:44 AM   #29
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzs
I thought I'd read that the up and down arrows are supposed to function as 'back' and 'forward' keys, but pressing them when in a PDF seems to just confuse the iLiad (the green light flashes and flashes...)
They are supposed to be 'previous' and 'forward' between hyperlinks, while the upper left one is supposed to be 'back'. You could try to test it in the html.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:05 AM   #30
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Having a PDF open, and changing the CF card, calls the devicemanager (pag count changes) but leaves the page displayed. Cant keep on rading, and the last read page doesnt get saved.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote