Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
505 and PDF's?

I am under the impression that, the Sony reader is one of the best for PDF's.

How does the 505 handle PDF's? Is it usable? I have a lot of scientific PDF's I would like to cary around, but if the Sony can't handle them properly, I won't get one..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Sony PRS-505 with Adobe DE gives you three views of a PDF. The "small" is a full page view, the "medium" and "large" are reflowed versions.

You can try this for yourself on a Windows PC, see Sony's Windows ebook Reader. This only includes the portrait mode, and there is also a landscape mode on the PRS-505, see Full size .pdfs - screenshots ....
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 05:06 AM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your replay wallcraft.

Im on a Mac, so I can't try the application unfortunately.

Do you have any personal experience reading PDF's on it?
Old 08-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Assuming your reading DRM-free PDF?
Then I would recommend the Iliad over the SONY PRS-505.

I have a PRS-505 it read PDF great "IF" and that's a big if the PDF is formatted for the 505. Once you get to larger formats Letter/A4 then the reader must re-flow. Whith single column text this is not an issue. However with pictures, graphs, and equations. The reflow does a bad job.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
David Munch
Scholar

Thanks =X=, that was really what I wanted to know. I read a lot of scientific PDF's, and they all have 2 columns, figures, pictures, equations - So it sounds like I have to wait, or take a look at the Illiad.
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can download eBook Library to see how the PDF would look like on the Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I might add, also, if you want to check how the PDFs look, you should check out Feedbooks. (I don't work for them.)

When you find a book you want - they're free - go to the Sony download. You're actually downloading a PDF file (and not an lrf file).

They look great, in my opinion. The print, personally, is just a tad too large on the "Small" setting, making the "Medium" way too large for me. Nevertheless, as I mentioned, they look great.

I highly recommend that site.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
This makes me want to load up a few PDF's on an SD-card and go check them out at the local shop! I'm curious how much better it will look on the 505 than the 500...
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote