Looking for the ultimate reader app

Hello,

Is there a reader app (for new iPad) which can do the following:

- support epub
- support mobi
- support pdf
- built in dictionary like the the kindle
- annotation

I know there are various apps who do some of the above perfectly but any app who supports all of the above?
My problem is that I read all of them and don't want to get lost in various apps.

Thanks for any help
olivertimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
The only one i can think of right now is eBookMobi. Its a bit rough about the edges but it works
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertimm View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...eader_software

It's all in there. :-)

Unfortunately, the ultimate answer is no - currently, there's no reader that supports *all* of that.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
ShareReader HD does all of that and more. It is in early development but does have support for 20 different formats including the ones you asked for and much more. I have found a few limitations but the author is working on them.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Hello,

- support epub
- support mobi
- support pdf
- built in dictionary like the the kindle
- annotation

I know there are various apps who do some of the above perfectly but any app who supports all of the above?
My problem is that I read all of them and don't want to get lost in various apps.

Thanks for any help
To be very honest: why should you have a single application which reads all formats ? You can switch between one application and another in about 1-2 seconds at most!
You already have the iPAD which has the applications (plural) you need (namely Kobo, Kindle, Nook and others). I believe the problems are elsewhere.

I would be more concerned by the fact that the applications we have today are very primitive yet. Oh yes they do have a nice page turning animations, but with respect to other features there is little else.
All iPAD reader support (when available) only collections, a single level, no true folders allowed (a two level folder structure would already help a lot). The most these application allow in screen control is to have sepia background. (Not completely true, as eReader can do more, but it is limited in the formats it can read and has not been updated for almost 2 years now).

This is just an example. I would suggest not to look at formats, you can switch among them with Calibre (and while you are there you can even make the ebook a little bit better, maybe with a cover)
PC and MAC (although I do not own one, I assume they are the same) do not fare much better, by the way, in that respect. Let's ask for better application, not more formats.

EDIT : Reading the wiki, some of the objections I made seem to be satisfied by one reader or another. I do not have experience with all the reader mentioned, and I apologize if I seemed a bash-it-all. I still stand with the gist of what I wrote, though, the apps could do better for me.

Last edited by brudigia; 05-15-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Read the Wiki.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post

.....(Not completely true, as eReader can do more, but it is limited in the formats it can read and has not been updated for almost 2 years now).
As far as I am aware, eReader has not been available on the app store for some months. Not only has it not been updated... it no longer exists except for those of us who chose to hang onto the app. And I no longer use mine.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
As far as I am aware, eReader has not been available on the app store for some months. Not only has it not been updated... it no longer exists except for those of us who chose to hang onto the app. And I no longer use mine.
I still have it. It is good because it downloads automatically ebooks from Fictionwise. Besides that, there is the good feature of the colours management, there is little else to reccommend.
We are not losing a lot, sad to say, but it is so.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #8
olivertimm
olivertimm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for all your answers. I will try eBookMobi and ShareReader HD. The later one looks promising.

To answer brudigia's question. I wanted to have one software in order to avoid switching between app. I have tons of books in epub and mobi and magazines in pdf. Sometimes I don't know where which file is. It is time consuming to search the various apps to find the right one I am looking for.
I am having lot of reference books on my iPad which I need to open just to check something. I agree if you read one book after the other, switching between apps is ok. However with reference books it is a hassle.

Cheers
olivertimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Thanks for all your answers. I will try eBookMobi and ShareReader HD. The later one looks promising.

To answer brudigia's question. I wanted to have one software in order to avoid switching between app. I have tons of books in epub and mobi and magazines in pdf. Sometimes I don't know where which file is. It is time consuming to search the various apps to find the right one I am looking for.
I am having lot of reference books on my iPad which I need to open just to check something. I agree if you read one book after the other, switching between apps is ok. However with reference books it is a hassle.

Cheers
Good reasons. I do not that kind of exercise on the iPad, trying to keep all my books together. I do that on my ereader, using Calibre. I understand it can be a hassle, especially on the iPad, with the ereaders (nook, kindle, etc) it less so, you hook it up to Calibre and you send the ebooks to the ereader. Calibre is my library and I care to keep it updated, but only that repository. Well each one of us has his / her diffent needs.