Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
KoCY
KoCY began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which cheap E-reader (-150$) for PDF's

Hello
I would like to buy a E-reader, but since I do not know how much I would use it, I have set a limit of 150$.

My primary use is schoolbooks and regular books in PDF.

I have looked at the Kindle 3 and the PDF to Kindle software, but I am not sure how good it is..

What are your advices?

/Nikolaj, Denmark
KoCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
you can head to your nearest Best Buy or even Staples and give all the major ereaders then run through test out the Kindle, Nook STR, Kobo Touch etc.

as far as PDF's are concerned regular books/novels should be ok, especially on the Nook, it has a text reflow for fornt resizing and renders quite nicely.
For technical PDF's for maps, graphs etc. a 6 inch eink screen is not an ideal medium. Some ereaders such as the Sony's and even the kobo touch have very nice PDF enhancements but it's still of chore of labor due to technology slow refresh rate and the size of the screen. If technical PDF's are your primary use, you may have have to up your ante and look at a Tablet.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
The software generally just doesn't work very well, especially for textbooks with lots of formatting. Sorry, I wouldn't recommend a 6" reader for textbooks. My advice is to save up for some device with a larger screen, or if you're going to use it for regular books also, to try and find epub/mobi versions of them.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote