Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
arnoldajr
arnoldajr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Smile how to change calibre sort and collection sequents

Greetings to all. I am in my late 60's and new to using e-books. I have tried to read and understand collection and sort orders for book both in the computer library and on my Sony PRS600. I failed and now need help. My needs are very simple. I want the sort order for both devices to be "Author series(if one) and Series #" That is my first need.

My more important need is how collections are handled on the PRS600. When I transferred a series to the reader I created some 49 different collections from two series( Robert Jordon Wheel of time, and Alan Dean Fosters Pip and Flinx Series). I expected to have only two collections to show up on my reader (Flinx and Pip, and Wheel of time) not the 49 that i got. my question is how can i set up the defaults to only create collections based on Series if there is one
arnoldajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldajr View Post
Greetings to all. I am in my late 60's and new to using e-books. I have tried to read and understand collection and sort orders for book both in the computer library and on my Sony PRS600. I failed and now need help. My needs are very simple. I want the sort order for both devices to be "Author series(if one) and Series #" That is my first need.
First, click column header on the series column, then do the same for the authors column. That sorts by series within authors. You can also tell Calibre to automatically sort this way by setting a tweak called "Specify columns to sort the booklist by on startup" (see preferences->tweaks), you'll want to set that to
Code:
[('authors',0),('series',0)]
Quote:
My more important need is how collections are handled on the PRS600. When I transferred a series to the reader I created some 49 different collections from two series( Robert Jordon Wheel of time, and Alan Dean Fosters Pip and Flinx Series). I expected to have only two collections to show up on my reader (Flinx and Pip, and Wheel of time) not the 49 that i got. my question is how can i set up the defaults to only create collections based on Series if there is one
You can customize which metadata fields create collections in the Sony device interface plugin. Go to preferences->plugins->device interface plugins and look for the Sony interface plugin, then customize that.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
arnoldajr
arnoldajr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Thank you very much for the sorting help. I have been reviewing the FAQ on metadata and it is to me very complicated. I will play with it some more and see how far I can get.

once again thank you.

arnold
arnoldajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi Arnold, Just to add a bit more detail:

If you want Calibre to only create Collections on your Sony based on Series info then the place to set the configuration is in Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface - Sony - Customize plugin. On this page is a box whose label begins 'Comma separated list of metadata...'. Make sure that box contains just one item, series, (I think the default is series, tags)

In addition, if you would like to add Series and Series_index to the front of each book Title as displayed in the Sony booklist e.g.
Wheel of Time 01 - The Eye of the World or perhaps
WoT 01 - The Eye of the World
then you can set up a Metadata Plugboard. This also has the added benefit that you can view the whole Sony booklist by Author, Series/Index, Title.

This may be a little daunting if you are new to all this, but if it sounds like something you'd like to have then I can tell you exactly what needs to go in each box on the Metadata Plugboard preferences page. Just reply here if you would like the details.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Wheel of Time 01 - The Eye of the World or perhaps
WoT 01 - The Eye of the World
then you can set up a Metadata Plugboard.
I know how to create the above.

Quote:
This also has the added benefit that you can view the whole Sony booklist by Author, Series/Index, Title.
How do you create the All by Title and All by Author lists or was it someone else I recall talking about these?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dwanthny,

If you've already got the Plugboard set up to re-map both title and title_sort then on a PRS505 it should be as simple as just selecting Books by Author from the Sony main menu. The 505 seems to sort by author with the Plugboard-modified title_sort as a secondary sortkey.

There is also a second option, the 2 "special Collections", which work on both a PRS505 and PRSx50 (and hopefully a PRS600, but I don't know because I never owned one). The same Meta Plugboard is needed but you also need to go to Prefs - Plugins - Device Interface - Sony - Customize and add the special Collections aba and/or abt to the define Collections box e.g. mine reads:
Code:
aba:%All by Author, abt:%All by Title, tags
These special Collections are accessed in the normal way, via Collections on the Sony main menu. The %char at the beginning of each special label ensures that they are listed on page 1 of the Collections list.

The reason these were provided is because on the PRSx50 models Sony has changed its standard by Author list to sort by author without a secondary sortkey (or at least not a useful one).

If you've got spare time on your hands this thread chronicles the 'Sony sort saga'
Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you've already got the Plugboard set up to re-map both title and title_sort then on a PRS505 it should be as simple as just selecting Books by Author from the Sony main menu. The 505 seems to sort by author with the Plugboard-modified title_sort as a secondary sortkey.
I had this setup and after the next upgrade I'll set the columns up again. Everything was sorting great in all areas except collections created by tags. Those titles sorted by the original title.

Quote:
Code:
aba:%All by Author, abt:%All by Title, tags
These special Collections are accessed in the normal way, via Collections on the Sony main menu. The %char at the beginning of each special label ensures that they are listed on page 1 of the Collections list.
Thanks, this was the info I was looking for. Just to get everything under collections.

Quote:
If you've got spare time on your hands this thread chronicles the 'Sony sort saga'
This thread looks like a good read.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Everything was sorting great in all areas except collections created by tags. Those titles sorted by the original title.
You can get your tag Collections to sort by Author/Series/Index/Title as well if you want. This is in addition to the Meta Plugboard.

It's one of the tweaks, the one called sony_collection_sorting_rules. It requires you to set up one or more custom columns which will define the sorting orders for your various Collections. As usual there are many options so it's probably best if you read chaley's tweak help... and then probably a second read ... and maybe a third
Old 02-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
You can get your tag Collections to sort by Author/Series/Index/Title as well if you want. This is in addition to the Meta Plugboard.

It's one of the tweaks, the one called sony_collection_sorting_rules. It requires you to set up one or more custom columns which will define the sorting orders for your various Collections. As usual there are many options so it's probably best if you read chaley's tweak help... and then probably a second read ... and maybe a third
I saw that in the thread you pointed me to. Thanks again.