Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur
rolexconfuse began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Torn between 2 features what should i do

I've sat out on the first and 2nd generation of e-readers due the to slow refresh and the terrible lag. Now that the 3rd gen is upon I'm ready to take the plunge.

I've narrow it down to the 2. I've ruled out the Nook as it is not response and the page turning drives me crazy, and the color touch screen is not that great for navigating.

So I brought the Sony 650 and the kindle 3 wifi but I can keep only 1 of them.

The Sony can do epub, reflow PDF's, and if i hold down the page turn button I can skim through a ton of pages without the annoying flash. It's a pretty nice ability. Comes in handy when your looking for something but you don't remember the page but you do remember the chapter. Highlighting and bookmarking is very easy.

On the Kindle I get better battery life, have wifi, 2 more txt sizes to choose from (those extra choices come in handy) and changeable font types.

Strange as it is I like the feel of the kindle more than the Sony 650. weight seems more distributed vs more concentrated.

With that said, and all the + and - aside, the kindle does not support epub which sucks! The Sony does but it's $80 dollars more without the wifi.

Based on the short amount of time with each, I feel that Sony gives me the more book like experience. Flipping the page with a thumb, skimming through pages and etc. However the problem is the price, at $229 with no Wi-fi I feel like I'm getting ripped off. The 80$ difference is basically half of another kindle.

So should I just pay the $229 or just go with the kindle 3. The kindle is a very good reader but it doesn't give me as much of a book like experience as the Sony 650.
rolexconfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
It really depends on what's important to you.

Some things that might justify the price for the Sony:

Better build quality (metal body vs. plastic) - you *will* drop it at some point. I've dropped my 505 on concrete with only a very minor ding to show for it;

Public library support - you can save a ton of money on books if your library has ebooks, and many do now;

Not tied to any one book store.

However, if ease of use is your major concern, then by all means go with the Kindle.

It really comes down to personal preference. I love my Sony and would never go with a Kindle because of the 'walled garden' aspect, but I certainly understand why many people do.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, rolexconfuse.

Now........you know which device you enjoy reading on better, and which gives you the most of the things you want from one.

You don't need us to tell you 'which to keep'......that decision is up to you.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Do what I do when I can't make a decision - flip a coin. If the coin-toss suggests sending the wrong one back you'll know; believe me, you'll know.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexconfuse View Post
Based on the short amount of time with each, I feel that Sony gives me the more book like experience. Flipping the page with a thumb, skimming through pages and etc. However the problem is the price, at $229 with no Wi-fi I feel like I'm getting ripped off. The 80$ difference is basically half of another kindle.
You can return the Sony 650 and buy it again at Borders to take advantage of the free lighted cover offer before the end of October ... That's a $50 value ... helps close the gap on price if you still need a cover and light for the Kindle. The cover also adds to that book-like experience and protects the glass screen.

Last edited by frquixote; 10-19-2010 at 08:55 PM.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You seem to really want to keep the Sony so you should. If it takes an extra $80 to make you happy then it's worth it. Enjoy your 650!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur
rolexconfuse began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I'm actually am leaning more toward the 650 because it does pdf reflow and the skimming functiondifferently huge for me. There are times you just can't bookmark everything

I'll have to stare at them some more.
rolexconfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It sounds like the Sony 650 is what you are looking for so go for it. The e-reader is a tool to read books. Buy the tool that works best for you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
bainsy
bainsy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
as you have both which has the clearest screen? Sorry alittle off topic but im in the same boat but can only by the one so want to pick the right one thx
bainsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They both have the Pearl screen so I would be surprised if there was a difference there.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Actually from what I am told both are proprietary, books are available from only one source so you are tied to one store, but different stores. At least for my dollars one of the biggest concerns is the screen and ease of reading the screen.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Actually from what I am told both are proprietary, books are available from only one source so you are tied to one store, but different stores.
This is completely untrue. Neither the Sony nor the Kindle "tie" you to one store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I love my kindle3. I had a nook before and can't speak to the Sony.

I don't use my wifi but every so often, it's more of a bonus when I need it. For me the battery life and the weight are the real winners.

They both seem to be good reading devices for you. Maybe you should make the decision based mostly on which ebook format you already have. I had to convert my .epub to .mobi and I'm still not finished.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Another deciding factor could be the ease of locating and purchasing books for the device.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I've been having a debate with myself on whether to go with a Sony PRS-350 or the new Kindle to replace my PRS-505. The screen contrast and battery life is pretty much the same from what I've seen, and for either I would continue to buy epubs and liberate them (and then convert them in the case of the Kindle).

I like the Kindle's price and wi-fi, but I'm leaning toward another Sony for the touch screen and epub support. Epubs converted to mobi work perfectly (links, TOCs, etc.), but I just don't like the way the Kindle fonts look (they almost remind me of comic sans or something - too round). Epubs display more book-like, IMO. I also like the idea of just tapping a word and getting its definition. The pdf reflow is nice too.

I think Kindles are best for people who just want to buy best-sellers wirelessly from Amazon and not mess with converting files, maintaining a library, borrowing from a library or reading pdfs. If you're going to maintain a library on your computer and manipulate your ebooks, then I think the Sony is the way to go.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote