Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #17746
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Richard Castle & Mike Carey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Sargasso of Space proved to be a highly enjoyable space opera and in spite of its unrepaired scanning errors was actually quite readable.

Next, I'm going to read the new Derrick Storm novel Storm Front (Derrick Storm #1) by Richard Castle!
Storm Front proved to be both exciting and entertaining. But unlike in the proceeding trilogy of novelettes the protagonist proved to be dangerously and stupidly reckless and caused a whole lot of collateral damage including the deaths of numerous innocents. I'll read the next one anyway!!

Next I'm giving a try to the first of the Felix Castor series by Mike Carey, The Devil You Know.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-23-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: oops...
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #17747
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
For now though, it is onto another author I have never read before Arthur C. Clarke and Rendezvous with Rama. I know, I know - how can I have missed these authors before? Mostly because I read much more fantasy than anything else until this year when I have been intentionally trying not to read much. I wish I hadn't waited so many years.
Wow. I loved that book! The wonder and mystery was portrayed very well. It doesn't feel dated either; given the age and the advances in tech that we have had since it was written it seems like most science fiction starts to feel long in the tooth but this one holds up well.

Now for King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard - another classic I have never read before. This one is from HarryT's omnibus (volume 1 at least).
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #17748
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Another of my Agatha Christie collection: A Murder is Announced. Her 49th Mystery book.
Which was good. The first part of the plot was obvious. The second bit I didn't get, although the clues were there!

Then I read AI Unbound by Nancy Kress. A freebie from Phoenix Press with absolutely terrible formatting. Fixed fonts and point sizes all over the place. The two AI stories were interesting.

Next up: The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Sep/Oct 2013.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #17749
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Starting Hell To Pay, my seventh George Pelecanos novel in the past month, after getting a nudge in the Detective Novels, Mystery Favorites thread.

Also reading Edwidge Danticat's latest, Claire Of The Sea Light.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #17750
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I am currently reading The Best of Connie Willis, an anthology that includes many of her Hugo and Nebula award short stories and novellas. Excellent stuff so far ("A Letter from the Clearys", "Fire Watch").
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #17751
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm loving Lawhead's Hood (about 60% in now), but I just got Doctor Sleep, Stephen King's new book, and I can't decide if I'm going to finish Hood first or if I'll read Doctor sleep first.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #17752
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Wheels of Fire", by Mercedes Lackey, Mark Shepherd, and Holly Lisle. The first book in the "The Otherworld" Baen omnibus, from Feb 2000. This is a part of my ongoing "read my Baen backlist" project.

Urban fantasy. Elves and motor-racing. Not exactly my standard reading matter, but enjoyable enough.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #17753
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. I emailed it to my kindle and forgot I had. Then, when I finished Redshirts and went to my kindles home page I saw it. I had been reading it online here and there...

...the only down side is, I think the book is still unfinished.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #17754
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Changing my mind (again)...to Kerry Greenwood!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Currently reading Murder on a Midsummer Night, #17 in the Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood. I had been about to start this book, but got temporarily distracted. But reading now, and enjoying it.
Quote:
Hmmm...sounds interesting. Alex Verus turned out to be a so maybe this London-based character will also. Thanks Rumpelteazer!
Quote:
Storm Front proved to be both exciting and entertaining. But unlike in the proceeding trilogy of novelettes the protagonist proved to be dangerously and stupidly reckless and caused a whole lot of collateral damage including the deaths of numerous innocents. I'll read the next one anyway!!

Next I'm giving a try to the first of the Felix Castor series by Mike Carey, The Devil You Know.
Well I tried reading The Devil You Know but Just couldn't warm up to the protagonist or get interested in the story.

Charlie Russel's post reminded me that I hadn't read a Phryne Fisher mystery for a while, so I've now dropped The Devil You Know and begun reading Murder On The Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher #3) by Kerry Greenwood.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-24-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: oops...
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #17755
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I was halfway in Seanan McGuire's "Discount Armageddon" when I lost my ereader. I've tried continuing on my phone, but the screen's to uncomfortable for longer bouts or reading. So I'm waiting for my new ereader to continue.

After recommending Sarah Rees Brennan's "Demon's Lexcion" in another thread, I decided to reread it, so that's what I'm doing now. When I'm feeling lazy, I'll reread old favourites, taking the time to enjoy the language when I'm not itching to know what happens next :-)
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #17756
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I was halfway in Seanan McGuire's "Discount Armageddon" when I lost my ereader ... So I'm waiting for my new ereader to continue.

Sorry for your loss, hildea! What ereader did you lose and with what ereader are you replacing it?
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #17757
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Just finished On Basilisk Station.

I originally complained about how slow it started. It picked up as it went and the ending was satisfying enough so that I'm on to the 2nd novel in the series The Honor of the Queen.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #17758
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Thanks, Moe! I lost a Bebook Neo, and after some advice here I've ordered a Pocketbook Touch Lux.

The Bebook had started to get some annoying glitches (I usually had to try several times before suceeding when connecting it to a PC), but now that it's gone I find I was fond of it, warts and all :-/
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #17759
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Finished "The Thirteen Problems" by Agatha Christie. This is a collection of "Miss Marple" short stories, and was her 16th book, and the 2nd featuring Miss Marple, originally published in 1932. The US title is "The Tuesday Club Murders".

As in some of her other short story collections (e.g. Partners in Crime), Christie employs an overarching narrative, making the book more like an episodic novel. There are three sets of narrative, though they themselves interrelate. The first set of six are stories told by the Tuesday Night Club, a random gathering of people at the house of Miss Marple. Each week the group tell tales of mystery, always solved by the female amateur detective from the comfort of her armchair. One of the guests is Sir Henry Clithering, an ex-commissioner of Scotland Yard, and this allows Christie to resolve the story, with him usually pointing out that the criminals were caught.

The next set of six occur as part of a dinner party Miss Marple is invited to at the request of Sir Henry Clithering, as a result of her skill in the Tuesday Night Club. This employs a similar guessing game, and once more Miss Marple triumphs. The thirteenth story, Death by Drowning, takes place some time after the dinner party when Miss Marple finds out that Clithering is staying in St Mary Mead and asks him to help in the investigation surrounding the death of a local village girl. Miss Marple solves the murder by the end.

All the plots are ingenious, and most would have made excellent full-length novels. Very good indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #17760
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Currently reading Murder on a Midsummer Night, #17 in the Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood. I had been about to start this book, but got temporarily distracted. But reading now, and enjoying it.
Well, I must say, this is not her best work. One gets the feeling she's tired of Phryne, or run out of things to do with her. Still worth the read, and I'll still read the next one, Dead Man's Chest. Hopefully #17 was simply an aberration.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote