Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
How to download ebooks from the MobileRead Library

Are you aware we have over 15,000 public domain books available here for any device? Each and everyone lovingly formatted by our own members. Extraneous pages deleted, spelling and punctuation corrected.

Heres how to locate them.

Click the "e-book" tab at the top of the page in the blue bar.

Under "formats" click the appropriate one for your device. For example, for a Kindle, click on "mobipocket"

Now you'll see the books listed by author. To search for a particular one, click on the first letter of the last name. For example, "D" for Conan Arthur Doyle.

To search by genre, click on the little down arrow next to the 'genre' box.

Find a book you want, the link should be on the first post of the thread.

Download it to your computer, sideload it to your device, and ta-da!.......

Repeat as needed.

Calibre is a great device for keeping them organized editing the metadata.

Others will post with more hints, I'm sure.

Oh......and I forgot this!

About the Mobipocket Download Guide.........

If you are lucky enough to have a Kindle, you can download this to your computer, ( I downloaded it to my desktop), then upload to your Kindle via the USB cord.

Once that is done.......you can use your wireless feature to download books from MobileRead directly from your device!

The guide can also be updated via your Kindle.....

Fair warning.......this can run your battery down faster than normal.

Last edited by ravenne; 02-09-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Recognition to formatters
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Great post, dg!! Here are some pictures that I had for that same explanation plus a couple more. Maybe add them to the instructions?

If you would like to check out MR's ebook library..

[Click on the picture to make it bigger]

1. Click "ebooks" in the Blue bar (above left) ..Click image for larger version

Name:	1 blue bar ebboks.jpg
Views:	1827
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	46507
A drop down menu appears..Click image for larger version

Name:	2 ebook drop down.JPG
Views:	1773
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	46508
2. Choose the format you want..

I chose ePubClick image for larger version

Name:	3 ePub choosen.jpg
Views:	1703
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	46509

All ePubs books are shown... Click image for larger version

Name:	4 All ePub starting at A.GIF
Views:	1663
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	46510
Across the top, you can choose to search by Letter.. I chose the letter "D"..Click image for larger version

Name:	5 chose letter D.GIF
Views:	1698
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	46511

You can search ePub books by genre.
Click image for larger version

Name:	6  choose genre.jpg
Views:	1607
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	46512I chose mystery.

....OR... On the far right, in the blue bar you can click on Search E-Books.
A search box will open..... Click image for larger version

Name:	7 search box.jpg
Views:	1611
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	46513 I typed in doyle.

The search brought up a list of books by that author in various formats..
Currently, you will have to scroll down to choose the format you would like..Click image for larger version

Name:	8 search doyle results.GIF
Views:	1609
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	46514

I scrolled further down and chose the ePub format..Click image for larger version

Name:	9 chose ePub.gif
Views:	1651
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	46515

The page came up with the post for the book..Click image for larger version

Name:	10 top dwnld pg.JPG
Views:	1626
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	46516

When you scroll down, you will see the attachment.. Just click to download..Click image for larger version

Name:	11 bottom dwnld pg.JPG
Views:	1643
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	46517

Last edited by dreams; 02-26-2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Redo instructions
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
is there a sticky?

if not maybe your combined info should make one?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Great post DG. Learned a thing or two myself.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
is there a sticky?

if not maybe your combined info should make one?
That would be up to the mods.

So much of what we take for granted can be overwhelming for someone who has never had an ebook before.

The outstanding job done with these books by our members deserves to be highlighted.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thread stuck. i thought about moving it to the ebooks forum, but then again the whole point is that a lot of people miss that forum when they first get here. what do you think about putting it in reading recommendations ? i can't decide whether it would be better there or here in the lounge.

thanks dg and dreams for the helpful instructions. karma to both of you.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thread stuck. i thought about moving it to the ebooks forum, but then again the whole point is that a lot of people miss that forum when they first get here. what do you think about putting it in reading recommendations ? i can't decide whether it would be better there or here in the lounge.
How about "Deals, Freebies, and Resources"?

Can you move it from one forum to another and leave a copy in place in the old one? That way it will be in two places, closed in one of them, but still visible.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

thanks dg and dreams for the helpful instructions. karma to both of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
How about "Deals, Freebies, and Resources"?

Can you move it from one forum to another and leave a copy in place in the old one? That way it will be in two places, closed in one of them, but still visible.

Thank you Madame Z.

dsvick has a good idea........can it be in more than one forum?

"Reading recommendations" would be a great one......as would "deals freebies and resources"
Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, zelda! I think both places would be good. What do you think about the Introduce yourself forum?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
maybe introduce yourself and here. it took me the longest time to go into the deals etc. forum because I knew I didn't know how to any of that "fancy" stuff... so avoided it. maybe even a link in all the different device areas? remember how it was when you were not only new to the forum but new to ebooks and how very carefully you would peek around not wanting to be laughed at, but trying to absorb as much info as possible!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
great idea you two.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Oh......and I forgot this!

About the Mobipocket Download Guide.........

If you are lucky enough to have a Kindle, you can download this to your computer, ( I downloaded it to my desktop), then upload to your Kindle via the USB cord.

Once that is done.......you can use your wireless feature to download books from MobileRead directly from your device!

The guide can also be updated via your Kindle.....

Fair warning.......this can run your battery down faster than normal.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
good suggestions for locations for this thread. we try to avoid using "redirects" and having too many stickies in general so i think it's best to keep this down to one instance, however helpful it is. i'll let you figure out where you'd like it and let me know, and i'll move it if necessary. of course, we can also just leave it here.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

If it must be in only one place, I would think that "Reading Recommendations" would be the logical one.......

Thoughts?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
If it must be in only one place, I would think that "Reading Recommendations" would be the logical one.......

Thoughts?
I agree.

Plus, I was thinking.... How about changing the thread title to something much more direct for the newbies?

Maybe... How to download ebooks from the MobileRead Library.

What do you think?

desertgrandma, the information you gave in post 12 (about the mobipocket guide) would be great to have in your first post.