Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #76
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm interested.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #77
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I would also be interested.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #78
Rtturvwsxmavpduc
Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Superb Female Narrators:

Davina Porter
Katherine Kellgren
Bahni Turpin
Barbara Rosenblat
Johanna Parker
Kate Reading
Jenna Lami
Cassandra Campbell
Rosalyn Landor
Anna Fields
Octavia Spencer
Coleen Marlo
Barbara Caruso
Alyssa Bresnahan
Lorelei King
C.J. Critt

Just as with listing the top Male Narrators, everyone has their personal preference. The ladies listed here are all winners as judged by professionals. I don't listen to as much material performed by women merely because of my literature choices.
Rtturvwsxmavpduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #79
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Any list of female narrators that doesn't include Wanda McCaddon (aka Nadia May, aka Donada Peters) is seriously deficient.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #80
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Karen White, too
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #81
Rtturvwsxmavpduc
Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"...everyone has their personal preference."

You're welcome to include Wanda McCaddon and/or Karen White to any list. I could have added several more voices to both Male and Female narrators. It's an arbitrary list so feel free to share your favorites.

Last edited by Rtturvwsxmavpduc; 07-11-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #82
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Only just started getting into audiobooks so appreciated both lists, Thank You Rtturvwsxmavpduc
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 AM   #83
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Only audio book I've listened to was World War Z. It has a full cast of voice actors, and since it's an oral history it works perfectly in audio format. Slightly abridged, though, but still a great experience. Like an old radio show.
I've listened to a couple dozen audio books, and have to agree that WWZ is uniquely suited to the medium. I wouldn't say it's like "an old radio show" so much as it's like a present-day NPR documentary. Obviously some interest in or at least tolerance for the subject matter is a prerequisite, but it's handled in a simultaneously clever and straightforward way that should entertain anyone who doesn't blanch at the mention of blood or violence.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #84
Rtturvwsxmavpduc

Smile Thanks for your kind comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Only just started getting into audiobooks so appreciated both lists, Thank You Rtturvwsxmavpduc
Happy to be of service. I've been enjoying listening since the late 80's. The production value and convenience of today's audiobooks is light years beyond those early cassettes. I believe many of the narrators are much better too.

You're welcome to abbreviate my 'Username' to "Rtturv". The 16 characters are simply to assure all sites have a unique Username and Password. I don't want to be the cause of RSI.

Last edited by Rtturvwsxmavpduc; 07-13-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #85
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I started around then, too -- I can recall packing dozens of cassettes to take on vacation!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #86
Rtturvwsxmavpduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I started around then, too -- I can recall packing dozens of cassettes to take on vacation!
I'd routinely place all the listened-to cassette sets in big boxes. When the container was full, I'd stop by the library and share the treasure. That mutually rewarding courtesy continued for years and years; evolving to include CD sets.

Now, of course, with digital downloads, it's illegal for me to donate and for the library to accept. Ridiculous!

I never asked for a tax write-off then nor would I expect anything in return now. I am truly dismayed at the publishers draconian position. With 800+ purchased audiobooks (and a very rapidly growing ebook collection) I'd love to be able to legally provide my concluded material to the local library so others might enjoy. Since community and state budgets no longer have a surplus of money to stock libraries, the laws should allow private citizens to step up.

I'm more than happy to have Amazon or Audible remove those books from my account when I drop them off at the library. Not that such a silly move would would actually hinder anyone who wanted to retain a copy.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #87
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

The closest I come to "donating" downloadable books is to sometimes acquire a copy on my own, instead of asking the library to do so. Not the same thing at all, but as close as I can get.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #88
melaniejaxn
Enthusiast
melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Favorite audio book is Night In Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny. It's read by the author and he is pitch perfect as the dog, Snuff.
melaniejaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #89
rand00
rand00 began at the beginning.

Device: Cyteen Opus
I recommend The Wheel of Time series read by Robert Kramer & Kate Reading.
rand00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #90
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
For those who enjoy the Diana Gabledon Outlander series, the missing two UNABRIDGED versions are now available on Audible. Finally.

The narrator is Davina Porter, who is also the reader on all the other books in the series, and she does a very good job, IMO. All the books are HUGE, giving you weeks of listening.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobook, recommendation