Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #21946
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
My shoulder's worse. I was hoping that the cortisone shot and physical therapy would work, and I did have some early success, although I haven't gotten rid of any of the pain when reaching behind me. I put off the MRI because I haven't met any of my health insurance deductible, but both the Dr and the PT say I have to get one now since I've lost both range of motion and strength in the last couple of weeks. I've been very conscientious about my therapy, but I've also been trying to get moved and I may have overdone it carrying boxes.

I'm just afraid the MRI results are going to put me on the road to surgery, and the thought of dealing with an immobilized dominant arm while living alone is not something I feel up to coping with right now. On the other hand, my PT says that if I do need surgery, much better to do it before I lose any more strength. Oh well, better to know what I'm dealing with anyway. Calling to schedule MRI for next week.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #21947
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Good luck Betty.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #21948
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Good luck Betty. I hope that the news is good and that you are able to avoid surgery.

Please ask for help from folks. I remember calling the office at my apartment to have the facilities guys come and change a light bulb. I had a broken elbow and didn't want to be on a step stool with one working arm. Once I explained that, they were cool and came over and took care of small, stupid things I should have been able to do on my own but couldn't.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #21949
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
My shoulder's worse. I was hoping that the cortisone shot and physical therapy would work, and I did have some early success, although I haven't gotten rid of any of the pain when reaching behind me. I put off the MRI because I haven't met any of my health insurance deductible, but both the Dr and the PT say I have to get one now since I've lost both range of motion and strength in the last couple of weeks. I've been very conscientious about my therapy, but I've also been trying to get moved and I may have overdone it carrying boxes.

I'm just afraid the MRI results are going to put me on the road to surgery, and the thought of dealing with an immobilized dominant arm while living alone is not something I feel up to coping with right now. On the other hand, my PT says that if I do need surgery, much better to do it before I lose any more strength. Oh well, better to know what I'm dealing with anyway. Calling to schedule MRI for next week.
Can't hurt to see what they say, assuming it doesn't cost an arm and a leg (yeah I just made that up. ). I've found that they tend to "push" mri's though when they are not really necessary. And even after evaluation you don't HAVE to do anything. As you say it may only be due to the moving. Your choice. Good Luck!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #21950
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Can't hurt to see what they say, assuming it doesn't cost an arm and a leg (yeah I just made that up. ). I've found that they tend to "push" mri's though when they are not really necessary. And even after evaluation you don't HAVE to do anything. As you say it may only be due to the moving. Your choice. Good Luck!
Yeah, he's been okay with me pushing the MRI back so far, and since my PT agreed with me it seemed like it was okay to wait. When I last saw the ortho, though, he said he wants to see an MRI before seeing me again. Then the PT caved on me yesterday and agreed that he too would like me to have one before he does anything else. My deductible is $350, so it will cost me at least that. Not too bad, I guess, but I've got a lot of expenses right now.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #21951
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Ouch. My left shoulder started to freeze* in Summer 2011. The physiotherapy exercises didn't do a lot to help, but physical manipulation by an osteopath improved it considerably, and it's now almost back to it's pre-frozen state.

Of course, every shoulder is different, and no doubt some do require surgery. Best wishes for a successful treatment.

*That is, its movement became restricted: I was unable to put my arm behind my back, and movements that I could still manage became painful.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #21952
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I was going to ask... Have you tried alternative forms of treatment. Surgeons told me I needed to have both my knees REPLACED. Then I found a good Osteopath who treated me just a couple of times, right before I began my diet and exercise. Part of that exercise was walking 5-10km almost every day. Before the Osteopath I couldn't walk 200 yards without severe pain, and hadn't been able for almost three years. Now I can climb 24 flights of stairs without stopping...
A few years ago, other surgeons wanted to fuse my lumbar vertebrae. I lucked into meeting a wonderful physiologist who convinced me to try her exercises before I gave into to the surgeon. In just a few months I had taken off the back brace I was in, and stopped all pain medications. You know how active I am now.

Please consider it before you permit surgery.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #21953
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

I've been trying to work through it with physical therapy since November, and I intend to continue on that path unless I really have to do something else. I love my PT, and he is all for avoiding surgery if possible. I do active as well as passive exercises specific to the rotator cuff (every day!) , and he does manual joint mobilizations and e-stim therapy. However, on Monday I subluxed (dislocated momentarily) my shoulder during my exercises at home, and he's concerned about the worsening instability. About 35% of people over 55 have asymptomatic rotator cuff tears, so that's why I've been trying this first -- so nobody will point to the MRI and take the easy route of assuming that must be the problem if there is a tear. At some point, though, we need a clearer picture of what is going on.

I'm pretty sure nobody would be more reluctant than I am right now to have shoulder surgery. So no, I'm not rushing in to anything. I am pretty miserable though.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #21954
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Miserable is bad. If surgery will make you less miserable, then have the surgery. Just go to Thailand to have it. Stitchawl will come over and keep you company. (winks)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #21955
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Miserable is bad. If surgery will make you less miserable, then have the surgery. Just go to Thailand to have it. Stitchawl will come over and keep you company. (winks)
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #21956
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
If she gives the exercise a chance for a couple of months first, we'll be all moved in and settled again in Thailand! Right now plans are to move in the beginning of June, so we'll BE there waiting. I'm always happy to play 'tour guide.' I love seeing old places through new eyes. That's 'real' exploration!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #21957
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
If she gives the exercise a chance for a couple of months first, we'll be all moved in and settled again in Thailand! Right now plans are to move in the beginning of June, so we'll BE there waiting. I'm always happy to play 'tour guide.' I love seeing old places through new eyes. That's 'real' exploration!

Stitchawl
Hey, I've actually got family (kind of -- my nephew's in-laws and various relatives) in Bangkok. I'm all set!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #21958
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm sitting at the tyre shop having been told all 4 tyres need replacing (so that's why I was sliding about all over the place in the snow yesterday), to then be told all my brake pads need replacing. and just this moment they have come out to tell me the wheels need realigning. For an extra fee, naturally. Oh well, at least the wi-fi here is free...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #21959
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm sitting at the tyre shop having been told all 4 tyres need replacing (so that's why I was sliding about all over the place in the snow yesterday), to then be told all my brake pads need replacing. and just this moment they have come out to tell me the wheels need realigning. For an extra fee, naturally. Oh well, at least the wi-fi here is free...
It's like hospitals, best avoided.

Good Luck! I need a bunch of work on my car as well, including new tires(note proper spelling ) a new windshield (windscreen? ) and other stuff but am doing my best to ignore it.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #21960
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Today my mouf' hurts - bad - so glad I filled the Vicodin prescription yesterday.*

*Disclaimer - anything I type today should NOT be held against me.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness