Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What's the best eReader for taking notes and clipping quotes ?
An iRex 0 0%
Kindle 1 5.88%
Sony PRS 600 or 900 12 70.59%
Something else 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Best eReader for taking notes and clipping quotes

There have been a number of threads across the different eReader forums here about note taking and clipping quotes. I have added to a number of them.

An eReader can be for just pure pleasure of reading a good book. Other people want it to study through books or articles. This latter would involve highlighting and clipping out quotes from an article (perhaps a document that they have converted and uploaded to their eReader). Others want to make quick notes associated with a passage for later reference. But certainly with the latter two, to be able to transfer the quote or note to a PC or MAC would be essential. It can then be included in a essay or stored in a database.

Which eReader does this best ? I am sure that they all have their ups and downs. I have had a Sony 505 and a Kindle. But only the Kindle could transfer to my PC. The Kindle made a "My Clippings" file of any length of quote with the reference of the book and page all in .txt. Drag the file onto your PC and there it is. One file, all quotes, nicely referenced.

Of course the keyboard on both the Kidle 1 and 2 was appalling even for the shortest of noted.

Sony has a touch screen and specific notes program. iRex is probably the "big daddy" of them all - but for me at least too expensive to justify.

So, what do you my learned forum friends think ? What's the best note taker and quote clipper (and why) - or should someone just buy a plain eReader and pad of paper and a pen ?

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Man, entourage edge or the QUE!

BeBook Neo is also very very very.... amazing! =)
BTW,
I suggest editing the poll to include these models
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In terms of "affordable" readers, I'd say that the Kindle is the best for typed notes; the Sony PRS-600 for hand-written notes. Personally, it's the latter that are important to me, for "marking up" errors when proof-reading my books.

Obviously, though, by asking the question in the Sony forum, you're pretty much bound to get answers that are biased towards Sony!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote