Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Enjoying my two working REB 1100s all over again!

Ok, here's news about my three (3) REB 1100s:

I've decided to keep two of the working units. Let me explain. Only one WAS working and the screen of death was on another one - this CANNOT be fixed, because the unit reverts back to the screen of death when unplugged from the wall. The battery is fine; I've used rbhack to no avail.

Another unit was not working properly because the touch-screen was going crazy on me because the unit fell on my face when I accidentally dozed off while reading. I took this unit apart and reseated all the wires. When I tested it, it worked fine.

I put a small crack in the screen of death unit while I was attempting to take it apart. However, the screen STILL works - but I still have the screen of death. (I had actually taken this unit apart just prior to a major move to Peru and some parts are missing. However, I was able to cannabilize a few parts in better shape for the unit that - I THOUGHT - had the flakey screen.)

So: I have two working units, a card reader, and three 64-meg cards and I FIND I'M ENJOYING THESE UNITS ALL OVER AGAIN.

One problem is that I no longer remember my password on one unit, and the other unit was someone elses. Years before, I had changed the font on one unit better to what I like, but now I don't think I can access any of the internals anymore in order to change this for the other unit.

You know, these units really are fun to own and to read on. I'm still thinking of purchasing an Ebookwise 1150 and have it Fedexed 2-day delivery before I go to Peru. I've decided to take these two units to Peru with me, but now I find I need an AC charger for 220 volts.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Ok, here's news about my three (3) REB 1100s:

I've decided to keep two of the working units. Let me explain. Only one WAS working and the screen of death was on another one - this CANNOT be fixed, because the unit reverts back to the screen of death when unplugged from the wall. The battery is fine; I've used rbhack to no avail.

Another unit was not working properly because the touch-screen was going crazy on me because the unit fell on my face when I accidentally dozed off while reading. I took this unit apart and reseated all the wires. When I tested it, it worked fine.

I put a small crack in the screen of death unit while I was attempting to take it apart. However, the screen STILL works - but I still have the screen of death. (I had actually taken this unit apart just prior to a major move to Peru and some parts are missing. However, I was able to cannabilize a few parts in better shape for the unit that - I THOUGHT - had the flakey screen.)

So: I have two working units, a card reader, and three 64-meg cards and I FIND I'M ENJOYING THESE UNITS ALL OVER AGAIN.

One problem is that I no longer remember my password on one unit, and the other unit was someone elses. Years before, I had changed the font on one unit better to what I like, but now I don't think I can access any of the internals anymore in order to change this for the other unit.

You know, these units really are fun to own and to read on. I'm still thinking of purchasing an Ebookwise 1150 and have it Fedexed 2-day delivery before I go to Peru. I've decided to take these two units to Peru with me, but now I find I need an AC charger for 220 volts.

Don
I believe I listed a 220 V chargers on the wiki page for the EBookwise-1150 and if not there it is listed on my home site. It is a coby for about $5.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks, Dale.

I saw mention of the Coby charger on one responses to another thread.

I'll order that before I leave (May 5), and have it shipped by my sister to Peru.

I'm still amazed at how much I'm enjoying the 1100. I imagine the Ebookwise 1150 is also fun to read on.

I think companies are really missing a market niche by not making more LCD Readers available, ones similar to these units regarding ergonomics, backlighting, and etc.

Do you know of any projects or developments?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thanks, Dale.

I saw mention of the Coby charger on one responses to another thread.

I'll order that before I leave (May 5), and have it shipped by my sister to Peru.

I'm still amazed at how much I'm enjoying the 1100. I imagine the Ebookwise 1150 is also fun to read on.

I think companies are really missing a market niche by not making more LCD Readers available, ones similar to these units regarding ergonomics, backlighting, and etc.

Do you know of any projects or developments?

Don
The only LCD stuff I have seen that is new is the JetBook and its variations using reflective LCD. Unfortunately it is not backlit. I wish it would adapt the old Palm methods or something to develop a backlight. Reflective LCD is interesting but doesn't have the jazz of e-Ink. I think the eBookwise-1150 continues to gain converts so the market is there.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The only LCD stuff I have seen that is new is the JetBook and its variations using reflective LCD. Unfortunately it is not backlit. I wish it would adapt the old Palm methods or something to develop a backlight. Reflective LCD is interesting but doesn't have the jazz of e-Ink.
The LCD screen of the jetbook is just as readable as the eInk IMNSHO. The nice thing the LCD gives you also is it is much faster than eink. So, the menus, navigation, dictionary lookup is all very fast. Also, I would think LCD screens are cheaper to manufacture... so I'm surprised the Jetbook is $349 with a 5inch screen. The jetbook would be an awesome device with a 9-10inch screen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert