Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Changing PEs system DPI... works :)

So, you can forcefully adjust the eDGe's DPI. Anyone else messed with this? I've been futzing around with this on my GNII using the xposed framework and the 'App Settings' module which lets you individually set the DPI and what not per app. Nothing like that works on the eDGe so I decided to change it in the build.prop.

The line you need to change in the build.prop file isn't there, at all, on the eDGe But adding it in and setting the size works. I have mine set to 120. I got a bit ahead of myself and didn't think to check what the default DPI was... so if anyone knows, I'd appreciate it

Before changing the DPI, I suggest installing a DPI independent keyboard. I use the Hacker's Keyboard, which is free. The stock one does NOT like DPI changing. I also installed ADW just because it is much faster than the stock launcher while also being DPI independent. The stock launcher works fine but doesn't allow you to adjust icon rows so you have massive gaps.

To set the DPI just add the following line to your build.prop file, save, and reboot:

Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density=
As I said, 120 is working great for me. All the stock apps are functioning fine with the exception of the stock keyboard and all the third party apps I have installed have had no issues; Dropbox, Quora, ES File Explorer, Next Browser, Kindle Reader, etc.

Suddenly the 800x480 screen isn't as much of a hindrance... if you have good eyes

Last edited by helf; 09-14-2013 at 04:33 PM.
helf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Helf, just a word of warning. You may kill the PE video subsystem if you overdrive it - there were several posts that showed that, look up WSoD.

The problem is that the video subsystem hardware isn't as robust as it should be and in some cases components were used that were at the lower margin of acceptability - they worked as long as you didn't ask too much of them.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I remember a few people killing theirs with the overclocking. But, TBH, I do not think changing the DPI will cause any issues. The GPU shouldn't really be doing any work other than drawing the screen. The OS does the scaling at the system level on the CPU. Unless I am horribly wrong. I do not think it is accelerated, at least not on the eDGe.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
yeah, messing with DPI was one of the earlier things we all played around with - completely depends on how good your eyes are ;-) a base of 120 was always good for me - but recent versions of some apps have better settings of zoom/scaling/etc.

I really doubt that something as basic as DPI would be overdriving the gpu / UI. I think it was left out of the various Allmine mainly due to the potential "Zomg Why Is Everything So Big" reaction ;-)

on just about every other android device I have, I've turned on "force gpu rendering for 2d applications", but the eDGe in its nominal state doesn't offer that (hm hmm hrm gee I wonder why)
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
helf
Zealot

I kinda want to get a second PE and muck with it more, now, lol.
Advert