Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Reading must compete...

People who want to read will read. Reading has ALWAYS had to compete with other entertainment options. Books have to compete with the television, with friends, with sports, with movies, with smartphones, video games -- and ignorance.

Tablets and smartphones INCREASE the chance to get more people reading. Same with eInk. They don't increase the distractions as the distractions are already there.

The most important driver of reading is....interesting books. Harry Potter DROVE reading, Twilight DROVE reading...50 Shades of Grey is DRIVING reading.

People who want to read will read. All the devices do one critical think that HELPS with reading...they make it very convenient to acquire and carry books. eInk arrived first, and folks heavily into reading were the early adopters.

Smartphones and Tablets aren't hurting the situation. They are helping. They may be bought for other purposes primarily, but they also give folks the option for convenient acquisition and carrying of books. Those who want to read, will then read.

I went from maybe 2 or 3 books a year to 50 books a year due to reading on my phone and then iPad. Sure, I don't read like some of you do, but I _never_ did.

People will choose eInk or tablets according to their own budget and preferences. ALL of the choices promote reading. The extra abilities of a tablet or a phone to provide non-reading entertainment are simply the reality that reading has always faced. There has always been choices besides reading.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I doubt that tablets increase the chance of a non-reader reading. I have friends with smartphones and tablets and the non-readers are still non-readers. The readers might squeeze in a few more titles in what used to be free time, but the real readers always had a book in their pack anyway. As much as I show my non-reading friends books I'm reading in subject matters they care about on my e-reader or in paper form or on my iTouch it doesn't get them to read. It just doesn't.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
People who want to read will read. Reading has ALWAYS had to compete with other entertainment options. Books have to compete with the television, with friends, with sports, with movies, with smartphones, video games -- and ignorance.

[....]

People will choose eInk or tablets according to their own budget and preferences. ALL of the choices promote reading. The extra abilities of a tablet or a phone to provide non-reading entertainment are simply the reality that reading has always faced. There has always been choices besides reading.
Very proclamatory of you. Quite "hear ye, hear ye."

I know I read.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I doubt that tablets increase the chance of a non-reader reading. I have friends with smartphones and tablets and the non-readers are still non-readers. The readers might squeeze in a few more titles in what used to be free time, but the real readers always had a book in their pack anyway. As much as I show my non-reading friends books I'm reading in subject matters they care about on my e-reader or in paper form or on my iTouch it doesn't get them to read. It just doesn't.
I didn't say that reading devices turn non-readers into readers. They merely give folks more and easier options for reading -- which increases reading.

The devices take away one of the barriers to reading...not ALL of the barriers.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'll shut up then.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Very proclamatory of you. Quite "hear ye, hear ye."
Wel...

It's just so ODD to hear folks fret about tablets as if tablets endanger reading. It's ludicrous. If you give a gamer a kindle, that won't turn him into a reader. He'll just leave the device to gather dust with all the books you bought him before. A tablet or smartphone doesn't change this.

However, if someone has a smartphone or a tablet for other purposes, they MAY just well read more. Those who are inclined to read and for whom the easy access to books is just the trick that moves up their reading.

Such was true for me. I read a lot more due to my smartphone and tablet. But I was already someone who enjoyed reading. My device didn't turn me from a non-reader to a reader. It simply lowered the barrier to reading.

I suppose if someone were stranded on an Island with an eInk device and a Tablet, then one could say the tablet hinders reading. Otherwise, the world is full of distractions for those who prefer such things to reading.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
anecdata here, worth absolutely nothing, I'm sure.

My son has neurological deficits, and has always resisted reading. When the cheap kindle4s came out, I got him one as a Christmas gift, just to see if it would make a difference. He has already read more this year than he had the past two years combined. He did very little reading for pleasure before the K4, and now he's doing a fair bit. He's gone through all the Hunger Games books, some of the Song of Ice and Fire books, and is now working his way through the Belgariad - he's also read some other books, I'm sure, but I don't keep track of his reading, only what he asks me to put on his k4 (I manage the Calibre library) and what he mentions in FB.

If I get a job in the near future,there will probably be tablets in my kids' future - I'm thinking of the Nexus 7, but rumors of the MS Surface also sound good. We'll see then what happens to his reading level.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Small are the hints to see how much readers differ in prioritising their leisure activities. (Here I just observe so no offense is meant)
In my case reading doesn't compete.
It's every other activity that has to pass a hard test.
Not: "Should I read or..." but rather: "Is it interesting enough to stop reading?"
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Small are the hints to see how much readers differ in prioritising their leisure activities. (Here I just observe so no offense is meant)
In my case reading doesn't compete.
It's every other activity that has to pass a hard test.
Not: "Should I read or..." but rather: "Is it interesting enough to stop reading?"
Agree. That's a great way to put it.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am a voracious reader and I speed read. Reading is something I do everyday.

Personally I think smart phones, tablets and ereaders all help reading. The more methods we have to read, the better.

While I don't think it will turn non-readers into readers, most people have a mobile phone with them when they won't have a paperback. So they have the capability of reading anywhere anytime.

I use my smart phone to catch up on news while I am in waiting rooms or waiting for my wife or to sometimes read a bit more in a book I am reading.

I don't believe smart phones or tablets are a distraction from reading. Yes, the phone could ring with a call, but if that happened while I was reading a paperback, I would likely answer the phone as well. So no difference.

As for email and other notifications, I have those turned off. I am in charge of my devices, they don't rule me. (just kidding SmartPhone Overlord...)
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Just to chime in, I was an avid reader before I got a ereader and a smartphone, but I read even more now. Just more opportunities.

For example, I now routinely read while eating, something that was too much of a hassle when trying to hold a book open. Also to be honest I can surreptitiously sneak a few pages in at work if I'm not too busy, where with a real book that would be too obvious. Also, I've taken to reading multiple books simultaneously, so if I'm not in the mood for a certain book, I can read another. I was strictly one book at a time before ereaders, just to much hassle to carry around multiple books. And if I wasn't in the mood to read that one book, I'd do something else.

Even when I don't have my Kindle handy, I don't like reading books on my droid, but I will browse and read samples, which further fuels interest in reading. I feel like smartphones are a distraction, but they also save you time throughout the day, so at worst it's a wash in terms of time spent reading.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Wel...

It's just so ODD to hear folks fret about tablets as if tablets endanger reading. It's ludicrous. ...
Where'd ya hear that lie?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Such generalizations. My wife reads a lot more since getting a fire. I read a little more. My son has found a lot of new things to compete with reading and reads a little less. He was the prolific reader in our home.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
50 Shades of Grey is DRIVING reading.

I dunno, if you read 50 Shades while driving, you could get arrested
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Reading is dead. The written word is dead and is all but a historic accident: the first recording device we found. We got much better ways now to record not only stories as told second-hand, but directly recording it, full image and sound.

A tablet is a means to get images and sounds. Sure the historic writing device will be there, but it's really pointless. We're on the brink of change. People who grew reading will be reading until dead, but that's it. Don't think newer generations used to cheap recording and distribution of videos will be weeping for it. Ever heard of vlogs and vooks?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote