Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 PM   #31
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by out2getu View Post
Well that answers my question, thanks a bunch. I have the Sony Clie PEG-SJ 22/U and that is the best feature on it. I am just going to save my money for something else then. Thanks a bunch people!
You're welcome, out2getu -- the important bit is that you end up with something that works for you, or perhaps more to the point that you don't end up with something that won't work for you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #32
defzeppelin
defzeppelin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I have USB 1.1, will still still work for me? If so, It'll only go slower, right?

Also, it says that the AC adapter is optional... where can I buy the AC adapter? Which one do I need to buy?

Thx.
defzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by defzeppelin View Post
I have USB 1.1, will still still work for me? If so, It'll only go slower, right?

Also, it says that the AC adapter is optional... where can I buy the AC adapter? Which one do I need to buy?

Thx.
If you want an AC adapter, get one for the PSP. Same output and connector and it'll work with the Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want an AC adapter, get one for the PSP. Same output and connector and it'll work with the Reader.
And cost less, to boot.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
And cost less, to boot.
I'll not yet be needing to get an AC adapter yet. we'll have one AC adapter between us unless I manage to get a second 505 via the credit card offer.
Advert
Old 10-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #36
NickHiatt243
NickHiatt243 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
bbeb format is useless

I still think sony missed the boat with this format. I bought the reader because of support for the pdf's. turns out that you can barley read it with out formatting it a half a dozen times. For $300 this thing should support every ebook format know to man and then some

I use pdf2rlf to convert my books but it still screws up the format plus I'm not able to change the text size at all. But for now this is the fasted and the best converter I have found.Thanks abunch to cacapee

The least Sony could of done was include some kind of decent converter for PDF's or include image support for rich text files(Not sure if that's even possible)
AS long as they support digital editions with out having to covert any files for the prs-500 I'll be happy
NickHiatt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHiatt243 View Post
bbeb format is useless
I still think sony missed the boat with this format.
Respectfully, a lot of us get a great deal of use out of the format. It's certainly the best format to use on a PRS device, and it's not hard to make your own files with the tools available these days.

Quote:
I bought the reader because of support for the pdf's.
I sincerely regret that you didn't learn about that ahead of time. We try really hard to make sure that folks know that PDF is at best a decent option for the Reader if and only if the files are formatted for its display when they're made. It always saddens me when I encounter someone who didn't find out until it was too late.

Quote:
The least Sony could of done was include some kind of decent converter for PDF's
The one they did include came from Adobe. Sony doesn't really have control over what Adobe does with its products. I suppose Sony could have demanded something more capable, but they'd probably have just ended up getting told to suck wind. Adobe's not real well known for acquiescing to such demands.

Quote:
or include image support for rich text files(Not sure if that's even possible)
This has been a big question mark for a lot of us over the past year -- why didn't they? And why have they still not? Wish I knew.

Quote:
AS long as they support digital editions with out having to covert any files for the prs-500 I'll be happy
They've committed to supporting .epub on the 505, they've said they're looking into it for the 500, but all of that is dependent on Adobe finishing a mobile edition of DE. Whether whatever they eventually produce will reflow existing PDF files or not is up to them. They've demonstrated the ability to do so in the past, but they seem reluctant to admit to it these days.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #38
NickHiatt243
NickHiatt243 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
epub format

Maybe Sony could come up with a nice epub to bbeb converter...I doubt it though The only reason I want DE support is because I buy most of my books through ebooks.com. It's a great site and it has all of the computer tech books I could ever want. The only down side is most of the books are adobe reader format which I can only open on my laptop

I have many certs to go through and plan to spend some serious cash on technical books. It would be nice to put them on my reader instead of lugging around these large heavy books. Like I said If they made it easy to down load books from DE and supported a few more formats and add image support to the RTF files the reader would kill just about anything out there. I know 6 people where I work that will buy a reader when support comes out for DE. If it turns out all it's cracked up to be. I guess I'm the guinea pig.

BTW I popped over to borders because I had heard they were teaming up with sony to sell the readers. I figured maybe sony was going to axe the lame connect store and have borders sell ebooks for the reader. But it looks like borders is teamed up with Amazon acording to thier website. I know Amazon bought mobi pocket which is a huge deal. Does anyone know if borders is going to sell bbeb format books for the reader as well?
NickHiatt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #39
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
But it looks like borders is teamed up with Amazon acording to thier website.
Borders has been using Amazon's services since they gave up on their first attempt at online sales. Now they're ready to try it again. Borders is going to be setting up their own online store again soon. It's currently in beta testing. Additionally, Borders and Sony will be teaming up with a jointly-branded site for selling content for the Sony PRS readers. I think it's scheduled for 4Q 2007, but I could be wrong about the timing.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #40
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this true? I thought I read somewhere that the 505 only charges via USB, and they got rid of the round ac jack. (Not sure, though, as I do not own a 505!)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #41
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Is this true? I thought I read somewhere that the 505 only charges via USB, and they got rid of the round ac jack. (Not sure, though, as I do not own a 505!)
I hope not, because then there wouldn't be any place to plug this in.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The plug for the AC adapter is still there.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #43
NatCh
Gizmologist

They've just made the AC adapter an optional accessory, is all.

The good bit is that the 505 will charge from USB even when the battery is totally flat.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #44
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I hope not, because then there wouldn't be any place to plug this in.

Ah yes, it would certainly kill the 505 market for that!

I am still curious why they kept the separate adapter jack. Wall plugs for usb-mini plugs are available everywhere (cell phones, other devices, etc.) and tend to be smaller than that external charger. Especially now that you can charge via usb even when the battery is completely dead, as noted above.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #45
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The good bit is that the 505 will charge from USB even when the battery is totally flat.
How do you know about that?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote