Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
dwoolley
dwoolley will become famous soon enoughdwoolley will become famous soon enoughdwoolley will become famous soon enoughdwoolley will become famous soon enoughdwoolley will become famous soon enoughdwoolley will become famous soon enough

Device: Aura One, H20
Help identifying this tablet. Hip Street E-book reader

Saw this tablet at Walmart (Canada) today for $78. Looks like Hip Street have simply rebranded one of the many Android devices floating around...any idea who actually makes it?

http://www.walmart.ca/Electronics/Co...-7-MM-E-Reader

Thanks

Last edited by dwoolley; 04-28-2011 at 09:03 AM.
dwoolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
dwoolley
dwoolley will become famous soon enoughdwoolley will become famous soon enoughdwoolley will become famous soon enoughdwoolley will become famous soon enoughdwoolley will become famous soon enoughdwoolley will become famous soon enough

Hip Street E-Book Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoolley View Post
Saw this tablet at Walmart (Canada) today for $78. Looks like Hip Street have simply rebranded one of the many Android devices floating around...any idea who actually makes it?

http://www.walmart.ca/Electronics/Co...-7-MM-E-Reader

Thanks
Did my own research by buying one...Calibre identifies it as an Aluratek Libre Color (which seems to have similar multimedia support) but this has a touchscreen with some bad spelling mistakes in the somewhat basic firmware..like the sleep off setting and a choice of "miniutes" .

Seems to work fine for epubs and movies but not an Android device.
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
doduv2
doduv2 will become famous soon enoughdoduv2 will become famous soon enoughdoduv2 will become famous soon enoughdoduv2 will become famous soon enoughdoduv2 will become famous soon enoughdoduv2 will become famous soon enough

Device: Cruz Reader - Hip Street 7"
Bought it yesterday too. Definitely not an Android device, but I was still impressed. Unit is very responsive, screen qaulity is good. This reader is for those looking at something to read, play videos and music. By the way, I played a video yesterday on it, no stuttering, audio was good and picture quality was impressive. And the file was 700mb. That is very good ! My Cruz reader can't even play those types of video without stuttering.
doduv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
What's the screen resolution? Most 7" LCD devices are 800x480.

Does it support DRM Adobe epub and pdf?

Any paper manual or quick start guide included? online manual?

My 7" LCD Next1 is a great device, BUT, there's no touch screen....
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
doduv2
doduv2 will become famous soon enoughdoduv2 will become famous soon enoughdoduv2 will become famous soon enoughdoduv2 will become famous soon enoughdoduv2 will become famous soon enoughdoduv2 will become famous soon enough

What's the screen resolution? Most 7" LCD devices are 800x480.

Will check tonight, documentation does not say.

Does it support DRM Adobe epub and pdf?

No DRM protected content is not supported. It has no link to any stores. This thing runs on VERY minimal software

Any paper manual or quick start guide included? online manual?

No online or electronic manual. Paper manual included in box (french and english), but you really don't need it. Minimal sofware is very straightfoward. Main menu has : ebook, movies, photos, music, calendar, file explorer, settings. Each categroies search memory for supported filetypes.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask because there is no information avalaible anywhere.
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I also spotted this at Walmart today. I noticed that mp4 is not on the list of supported video file formats. Can someone who has one of these please try playing a .mp4 video and let me know the results? Thanks!
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
doduv2

Quote:
I also spotted this at Walmart today. I noticed that mp4 is not on the list of supported video file formats. Can someone who has one of these please try playing a .mp4 video and let me know the results? Thanks!
If you could supply a place where I can download a sample, I'd be glad to check tonight.

Yesterday I tried .AVI/xvid (works) and .MPG (did not work).
Old 04-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
dwoolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post
Plays MP4 fine....tried it today. Also the "About" Setting has the name DZ-700..a quick google search reveals this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/36...en_E_Book.html

Similar specs...but no mentions of touch screen and has a keyboard layout.

The hardware seems a bargain for the price...would love better firmware on it though. For example, there is no 'Go to" function in the E-Reader..just bookmarking and auto-resume.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doduv2 View Post
If you could supply a place where I can download a sample, I'd be glad to check tonight.

Yesterday I tried .AVI/xvid (works) and .MPG (did not work).
I can't think of any trustworthy sites where you can directly download a sample mp4 video. The ones I have were downloaded from youtube using the DownloadHelper Add-on for Firefox. There is often an option to download either an mp4 or flv version of the video.

No worries if you don't already have any mp4 videos on hand. I don't want to put you through too much trouble.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The hardware seems a bargain for the price...would love better firmware on it though. For example, there is no 'Go to" function in the E-Reader..just bookmarking and auto-resume.
Does the e-reader software allow you to access via the touchscreen any hyperlinks within your .epub ebook, like footnotes or table of contents that are present in many Gutenberg.org ebooks?

Does the system software/menus look like the Aluratek Libre Color?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Plays MP4 fine....tried it today. Also the "About" Setting has the name DZ-700..a quick google search reveals this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/36...en_E_Book.html

Similar specs...but no mentions of touch screen and has a keyboard layout.

Interesting, thank you! The video encoding on my mp4 files is H.264 / AVC. I don't suppose the mp4(s) you tried have the same encoding?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
doduv2

Finally, the resolution of the screen, from the manual : 800 x 480.

And the reader software does not support hyperlinks in epubs.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
nrapallo

Thanks for the info. It's most appreciated!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:05 AM   #14
cdntinpusher
cdntinpusher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cdntinpusher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cdntinpusher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libre Color
Any chance you can post some pics of the menu? Or a quick video on YouTube of it in action?

Here is a link to a handy tool for converting videos to any format you want:

I use it to convert video for my Libre Colour and resize it if necessary as well.
cdntinpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 AM   #15
cdntinpusher
cdntinpusher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cdntinpusher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cdntinpusher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libre Color
Link didn't take in last post, not sure why. I'll try again:

http://any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/
cdntinpusher is offline   Reply With Quote