Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Is a tablet right for me?

I have a Kindle Keyboard which I use every day, including those times when I wait at a Starbucks, Panera or McDonalds for my wife to shop. Sometimes I'd like to check the internet and I've tried using the WiFi on the Kindle but it's not good at all. I don't own a smartphone and I'm really not interested in one due to the small size of the screen and the expense. I have a laptop that's too bulky to carry around with me.

So I'm thinking of buying a 7 inch tablet which would let me get on the internet. Right now I'm considering a Nexus 7 or a Kindle Fire HD since they seem to have the fastest WiFi performance.

Does my plan make sense or should I consider a netbook instead?

I'd appreciate any comments.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'd say that a fondleslab/tablet would work well enough for you if you're just going to be poking around on the internet and such. I think a netbook would be better used if you were going to be using a bunch of major-productive programs like word processing and such since there's a full hardware keyboard handy. Of course, there's plenty of office suites you can find for a tablet, too...
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
I have a Kindle Keyboard which I use every day, including those times when I wait at a Starbucks, Panera or McDonalds for my wife to shop. Sometimes I'd like to check the internet and I've tried using the WiFi on the Kindle but it's not good at all. I don't own a smartphone and I'm really not interested in one due to the small size of the screen and the expense. I have a laptop that's too bulky to carry around with me.

So I'm thinking of buying a 7 inch tablet which would let me get on the internet. Right now I'm considering a Nexus 7 or a Kindle Fire HD since they seem to have the fastest WiFi performance.

Does my plan make sense or should I consider a netbook instead?

I'd appreciate any comments.
I read on a Kindle. It's perfect. It always went to the mall. My dumbphone is an ATT Gophone. Prepay with cards. Also perfect for me. I now have a Nexus 7 and it is my new mall device. I can read kindle books and web browse etc.. Apps are new to me, but I'm learning. At home I still use the kindle for reading. I find my laptop is not used as much except for long sessions.
Kind of a ramble, but in my opinion a tablet is right for you. I could have written your same post 2 months ago.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all. Now I have to decide WHICH tablet. I like the looks, speed and versatility of the Nexus 7 but I'm used to accessing Amazon for my Kindle so I'm thinking that perhaps I should get the Fire HD (or maybe the Fire 2nd edition).
Old 10-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Are you firm on a 7" tablet, or will you consider a larger one?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Try typing an email or two on a tablet before deciding on that instead of a netbook.

Also if a tablet is it you might consider a 10 inch for more real estate but they are heavier. Lepan.com has some nice ones to consider. I have the older one and love it.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
Thanks all. Now I have to decide WHICH tablet. I like the looks, speed and versatility of the Nexus 7 but I'm used to accessing Amazon for my Kindle so I'm thinking that perhaps I should get the Fire HD (or maybe the Fire 2nd edition).
Unless you use Amazon video streaming, you can access all of your Amazon content via Android apps, so you can buy a Nexus 7 and then install the Kindle app. I would get a Nexus 7 over a Kindle Fire HD because you would be getting the full Android experience rather than a limited Amazon experience.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
Try typing an email or two on a tablet before deciding on that instead of a netbook.

Also if a tablet is it you might consider a 10 inch for more real estate but they are heavier. Lepan.com has some nice ones to consider. I have the older one and love it.
Agree. I got one of the larger tablets, although I ended up getting a bluetooth keyboard so I wouldn't have to use the android one.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
AndyfromVA
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post

A 10 inch would give me more room to view the internet but it wouldn't fit into a pocket. I think I'm leaning towards the Nexus 7.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
I would like to suggest you Samsung Galaxy Note (or Note 2). It's pocketable, large screen (not much different than your kindle @5.3 inch) and you can use it to browse internet anywhere.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
IMO the best tablet in the market is a Galaxy 7 Plus, and there is one for sale at this moment on Kindleboards for a fantastic price. Does everything, comes with Kindle reader installed, is 16gb and has SD slot for an additional card up to 32gb.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote