Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
So How Is Everyone Liking Theirs?

Even though my Kobo Wifi is dying I'm still interested in getting a touch. I was thinking of buying one next week.

So what do you think of yours personally?
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
adrianoftyriel
adrianoftyriel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I think it's a great improvement over the wifi. I bought a wifi and they announced the week after that the touch was coming out, so i returned it in wait for the new model. Page turns are MUCH faster, it is more intuitive, has a web browser (not great, but useful at times), and just feels nicer to me. I am very pleased.
adrianoftyriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
daewon
Enthusiast
daewon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
I'm quite disappointed in mine. The WiFi is awful and i can't get my subscribed content. And the setup is only Linux friendly for a few. It was shipped before it was ready and i wish i would have kept the old one till they got this one all straightened out...
daewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I feel for those like Daewon that are having issues but I have to say I am LOVING my KT. I have all 3 versions of the Kobo and the jump from the Wifi to the Touch is bigger than the jump from Original to Wifi. There are a few more features (esp. some sort of directory system for books/documents) that I'd like to see, but other than that it's awesome with the 1.9.4 firmware.
Very peppy to change page and just overall fast enough that I think I have found my sweet spot with this reader (I doubt I'll upgrade from here until it dies).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
It is near perfect for me. In my opinion your ereader should be unobtrusive and not get in the way of reading the book. The kobo touch does that. It has a very responsive screen and it is very accurate. Mine connects to every wifi I hvae tried (4 in total) except my home one??

I suppose more font choices etc would be nice althgough I like the Georgia font that it comes with just fine. Word is more fonts and line and margin spacing is coming soon so if you like to have variety in your page layout it seems the kobo team is working on that.

All and all the best of the bunch (I have had all 3 as well)
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
I'm loving it. I got the original kobo (KO) in May 2010 a week after it was released in Canada, had problems with it in November and it was replaced in Chapters with a free upgrade to the K2, now I sold my Wifi K2 to a friend so I could justify the Touch. It is just so much quicker to use and finally functional enough to read pdfs without resistance (I never wanted to read pdfs on the K2 unless I was feeling very patient)
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
It is near perfect for me. In my opinion your ereader should be unobtrusive and not get in the way of reading the book. The kobo touch does that. It has a very responsive screen and it is very accurate. Mine connects to every wifi I hvae tried (4 in total) except my home one??

I suppose more font choices etc would be nice althgough I like the Georgia font that it comes with just fine. Word is more fonts and line and margin spacing is coming soon so if you like to have variety in your page layout it seems the kobo team is working on that.

All and all the best of the bunch (I have had all 3 as well)
I acutally noticed that the screen is very responsive and was suprised to see i could use a scrap of paper to advance the screen. So that means we could use it with cotton gloves or mittens even. Not sure if thats practical but its there i guess.

reagrds

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i got mine 930 am june 10th when chapters opened and have experienced ZERO problems. this device is fast and i never have to double tap or double swipe. i still though sometimes swipe the wrong way lol.
it's light and tiny and just overall a great little device.

i haven't had any problems putting books on, having books disappear or not load etc.

so go get one and enjoy it for yourself, the only review that truly matters is your own review.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT I am having a few WIFI issues (not always being able to connect) but that is not an issue for me at all.
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
vaeditor
vaeditor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
I picked mine up a couple nights ago and like it so far. Setup was a bit difficult because I had an older desktop app, but once I downloaded and installed the new version, setup was a breeze.

I started a blog to record my experiences and observations using the KT: http://atouchofkobo.wordpress.com. Hopefully it will be useful. :-)
vaeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
It hits the sweet spot of good enough and cheap enough for me too. I tried both of the previous generation Kobos and gave them away, but I'll keep the Touch. A few firmware updates would be nice (e.g., the page layout controls now in beta test, and the ability to use the font and highlighting features on sideloaded books).
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
Joywalker
Enthusiast
Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Got my Touch today!
It's my first eReader and I'm loving it!
Not that I have tons of books but I would hope future updates will have the features of categorizing my books as well as landscape mode.
Joywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I acutally noticed that the screen is very responsive and was suprised to see i could use a scrap of paper to advance the screen. So that means we could use it with cotton gloves or mittens even.
The KT uses the some touchscreen technology as the newest Sony Readers. From my experiences with the 350, even little fruit flies should be able to turn your pages for you. Wind-tossed bread crumbs. You name it.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
The KT uses the some touchscreen technology as the newest Sony Readers. From my experiences with the 350, even little fruit flies should be able to turn your pages for you. Wind-tossed bread crumbs. You name it.
love it hahaha.. great examples that i'm stealing should they be required during a conversation.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I returned my much more expensive PRS-350 when I pre-ordered the Touch and am not regretting the decision. The Sony reader did a few things I really liked (dictionary and highlighting in epub books) but the price of the Touch makes it a comparatively much better value.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote