Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
yuxi_kelly
Enthusiast
yuxi_kelly began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
books with a two columns style

Dear all,

I have a PDF, It is two columns in most pages.
how should I make the epub, made it in one column? the left side text first,then the right side? See attachment-001

AND another situation, the picture is on the right side of the page, how should I handle this ? put the picture in the middle of the page instead of on the right side? See attachment-002
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	64540   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	64541  
yuxi_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
I'm sure there are better ways than what I do, especially if the pdf is a text file already, but this is my procedure:

When I do a two column index for my epubs starting with an image pdf file, first I convert the two column pages from the pdf file into tif images, then I edit each page image to create two single column image pages. This can be automated with Irfanview if there are many pages. Finally I OCR the pages to create text for the epub.

If the pdf file is a text file, I have no idea how one could create two column epubs. Perhaps someone else could help with this.

Last edited by bobcdy; 01-13-2011 at 01:23 AM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If you really need two columns in ePUB the best way is to create a table with two columns.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
I would strongly discourage trying make a two-column ePub file. There's no easy or standard way to do this, as far as I know. You're only asking for a lot of trouble, and chances are very good that it will end up looking bad. You'll be much better off simply re-flowing the text as a single column.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote