Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #46
trelanie123
trelanie123 began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Hello out there, I'm new here. I have an iliad on the way .Trying to learn about it.Do you have to connect to a computor to download books?
trelanie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:46 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You download books on your PC/Mac/Whatever, then transfer them to the iLiad via USB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #48
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Mobipocket reader for mac

Hi all!

I am waiting for my cybook to come to the distant shores of Canada (Québec) through the great work of NAEB. Meanwhile I have made a lot of book purchases. I am using mostly fictionwise and the DRM Mobipocket format.

I am thinking very seriously about changing my laptop for a Mac. Is there any chance that in the near future Mobipocket reader could be available for the Mac ???

Does somebody has any "inside" information about this ???

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #49
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeorges View Post
Hi all!

I am waiting for my cybook to come to the distant shores of Canada (Québec) through the great work of NAEB. Meanwhile I have made a lot of book purchases. I am using mostly fictionwise and the DRM Mobipocket format.

I am thinking very seriously about changing my laptop for a Mac. Is there any chance that in the near future Mobipocket reader could be available for the Mac ???

Does somebody has any "inside" information about this ???

Regards,

Georges
If you look at the MobiPocket Forum there is certainly enough requests I think but no output yet.

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #50
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you look at the MobiPocket Forum there is certainly enough requests I think but no output yet.

dale
Thanks Dale! I was almost sure the information was there somewhere!

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 02:28 AM   #51
TantricWarrior
Enthusiast
TantricWarrior has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Viewsonic G-Tablet (rooted), CyBook Gen3, Newton 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith75 View Post
I'm a Mac user, but I always keep a PC around for these exact situations. I purchased the Sony 505 (has not arrived yet) and I plan on using the libprs500 software when I'm away from home with just my Mac. Plus I purchase a lot of books from Fictionwise as well. If I find that it's too painful on the Mac, I'll just install Windows on my Macbook. I'm hoping that if I need to buy a book when I only have my Mac, I can just buy the .lit version from Fictionwise and convert.
Mac (10.4.11) user waiting on CyBook:
•Spun up Virtual PC 6.0 (ick) and d/l MobiPocket Reader and Creator (work fine so far, lot's of RSS feed ready to go)

•spent all day here (reading recommendations and reviews) and on Fictionwise – my "wishlist" is over 30 books now... a few don't come in "Secure Mobipocket" so....
•do I choose "Secure MS reader" format? I've d/l convertlitosx and it seems to run fine, now I gather I'll need MS Reader (& IE7, not Firefox... ugh) or something in order to d/l the book and then convertlit (explode) it - being extra-super-careful about path filename.

or

•do I choose "Secure eReader" format (I assume it's .pdb) and then what?
I know I'll have to be jumping back and forth between OSX & VPC in order to end up with something I can d/l to the CyBook. Which is easiest/recommended?
Sorry if this has been duplicated elsewhere. I've been pouring over the lists and can't seem to find the answer (w/o using darknet deDRMing things that can't be discussed here {good policy, BTW}) this thread has come closest to what I need. in advance.
TantricWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #52
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For any Secure format other than MOBI you will need to strip the DRM. The traditional choice is LIT, because both it and MOBI are based on the OEB format. There are several options for conversion, for example (a) ConvertLIT to remove DRM, then lit2mobi (Mobiperl), or (b) ConvertLIT to explode into a OEB, then MobiPocket Creator (or Reader) on the resulting .opf file.

The only issue with LIT is the MS Windows requirement. If you can't get this to work, then ereader2html on a Secure eReader file is the other option. Then use html2mobi (Mobiperl) or MobiPocket Creator (or Reader) on the resulting .html file.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #53
TantricWarrior
Enthusiast
TantricWarrior has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Viewsonic G-Tablet (rooted), CyBook Gen3, Newton 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
For any Secure format other than MOBI you will need to strip the DRM. The traditional choice is LIT, because both it and MOBI are based on the OEB format. There are several options for conversion, for example (a) ConvertLIT to remove DRM, then lit2mobi (Mobiperl), or (b) ConvertLIT to explode into a OEB, then MobiPocket Creator (or Reader) on the resulting .opf file.

The only issue with LIT is the MS Windows requirement. If you can't get this to work, then ereader2html on a Secure eReader file is the other option. Then use html2mobi (Mobiperl) or MobiPocket Creator (or Reader) on the resulting .html file.
Ahhh... clear concise information ahhh
I think I'll go with option #1(b) and hope MSW doen't hurt me too much

Thanks again
TantricWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 AM   #54
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeorges View Post
Hi all!

I'm using a Mac with my Cybook and it's just fine .. i have just started using windows tho with VM ware (there's also parallels) so i can use the mobipocket reader thingy now and i spose it is slightly more user-friendly

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote