Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Sony Reader Refresh any Time Soon?

Curious if Sony has an update (rumored) to the 300/600 in the works. I haven't seen any rumors, but Readers are relatively low-key devices.

Hearsay will be accepted!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
I notice that the Sony Centres are selling both the 300 and 600 at a low price. They seem to be the lowest here in the UK. Immediately before Sony announced the 300/600 the centres dropped the price of the 505. But it's probably just a coincidence.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The typical Sony refresh schedule is Sept/Oct each year.

PRS-500 was introduced in 2006
PRS-505 was introduced in 2007
PRS-700 was introduced in 2008
PRS-300/600/900 were introduced in 2009
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
With all the tablets coming out the pressure could be on the ebook makers.
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
No tablet will equal my 1-2 week battery life. I'm going on a cruise in 3 weeks and would hate to read a LCD screen while sitting next to the pool and also having to recharge every single day.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
No tablet will equal my 1-2 week battery life. I'm going on a cruise in 3 weeks and would hate to read a LCD screen while sitting next to the pool and also having to recharge every single day.
Or reading a backlit LCD in bed. Eek.

-Pie
Old 04-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

-Pie
Ditto.
I bought my first Tablet PC (Fujitsu Stylistic) back in 2005. The tech they are selling nowadays is no different to what was available back then (at least for reading purposes).
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_callant View Post
I notice that the Sony Centres are selling both the 300 and 600 at a low price. They seem to be the lowest here in the UK. Immediately before Sony announced the 300/600 the centres dropped the price of the 505. But it's probably just a coincidence.
Really?

I just checked online and my local sony centre is selling prs 300 at £174.99, Play.com do them for £159.99 plus free UK delivery, WH smith sell them for £149 and Waterstones sell them at£169.

from my experience Sony Centres have always been the most expensive place to buy Sony eReaders from.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
-Pie
What I used to do all the time with my reb1100, worked fine.
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas View Post
Really?

I just checked online and my local sony centre is selling prs 300 at £174.99, Play.com do them for £159.99 plus free UK delivery, WH smith sell them for £149 and Waterstones sell them at£169.

from my experience Sony Centres have always been the most expensive place to buy Sony eReaders from.
Same with the US. But a month or so ago they had a sale where Sony's prices temporarily dropped from the $200USD for the PRS-300 to $175.00 or something like that. Similar discount showed for the PRS-600.

The prices went back up, and almost all online retailers are also charging the $200 price right now, with Wal-Mart lowballing everyone at about $169.

So given this, I don't think there's any kind of clearance going on just yet. It was mainly the pricing from a few weeks ago, and the fact that I'm probably going to be in the market soon, that prompted my original question.

-Pie
Old 04-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
Quote:
Really?

Went in to the one in West Sussex yesterday PRS 300 for £149 and PRS 600 for£219.
That is a High street shop matching the cheapest Internet price.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
As I posted a couple of weeks ago... Crutchfield had the PRS-300 plus leatherette lighted cover for $169.00 shipped through the 10th of April. That's the best I've seen with no tax or shipping. This week it appears most are back up on the price.
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
Titus Petronius
Hopeless Case
Titus Petronius began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
£$€...Ouch!

Quote:
Really?

Or for anything else for that matter...
Titus Petronius is offline   Reply With Quote