Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #10741
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
That's close enough that I'll flip over the remaining cards and hand it to you, Iznogood. The detail is indeed from Raphael's School of Athens. Plato is said to be pointing toward the heavens to say that the world of ideals is what's the most important thing for philosophers to consider. Aristotle is said to be pointing toward the earth to show that what is important is what we can discover through investigation.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #10742
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Movement of the sun and planets?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #10743
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Then what about the books? I seem to remember one of my science teachers saying that the books were relevant to the argument. Or am I imagining things?
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #10744
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From memory, I believe Aristotle is holding a book on physics, Plato a book on metaphysics, reflecting Plato's focus on the divine forms, and Aristotle's concern with things more of this world.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #10745
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Wikipedia says,
Quote:
Commentators have suggested that nearly every great Greek philosopher can be found within the painting, but determining which are depicted is difficult, since Raphael made no designations outside possible likenesses, and no contemporary documents to explain the painting. Compounding the problem, Raphael had to invent a system of iconography to allude to various figures for whom there were no traditional visual types. For example, while the Socrates figure is immediately recognizable from Classical busts, the alleged Epicurus is far removed from the standard type for that philosopher. Aside from the identities of the figures depicted, many aspects of the fresco have been variously interpreted, but few such interpretations are generally accepted among scholars. The popular idea that the rhetorical gestures of Plato and Aristotle are kinds of pointing (to the heavens, and down to earth) is a likely reading. However Plato’s Timaeus – which is the book Raphael places in his hand – was a sophisticated treatment of space, time and change, including the Earth, which guided mathematical sciences for over a millennium. Aristotle, with his four elements theory, held that all change on Earth was owing to the motions of the heavens. In the painting Aristotle carries his Ethics, which he denied could be reduced to a mathematical science. It is not established how much the young Raphael knew of ancient philosophy, what guidance he might have had from people such as Bramante, or whether a detailed program was dictated by his sponsor, Pope Julius II. Nevertheless the fresco was even recently interpreted as an exhortation to philosophy and, in a deeper way, as a visual representation of the role of Love in elevating people toward upper knowledge, largely in debt with the contemporary theories of Marsilio Ficino and other neo-platonic thinkers linked to Raphael.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #10746
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
This may turn out to be an easy question or a difficult one. Only time can show that... But since we're on the subject of Greek philosophers; which novel is this paragraph from:

Quote:
“H’m,” the chief inspector observed, struck with an idea. “Now that I come to think of it, by George! I know where all this fictional-detective stuff started in the first place. With that Greek philosopher chap in Plato’s Dialogues. He always annoyed me. A couple of Greeks would be walking along, not bothering anybody, and up would come this damned philosopher and say, ‘Bon jour’ . . . or whatever they said in Athens . . . ‘Bon jour, gents; have you got anything on hand this afternoon?’ Of course the other chaps didn’t. They never had. There never seemed to be any business to attend to in Greece. All they did was walk about hunting for philosophers. Then Socrates would say, ‘Right you are. Now let’s sit down here and talk.’ Whereupon he would propound some question for them to solve . . . he knew the answer, of course. It was never anything sensible, like ‘What do you think of the Irish question?’ or ‘Who will win the Test Match this year, Athens or Sparta?’ It was always some God-awful question about the soul. Socrates asked the question. Then one of the other chaps spoke up, and talked for about nine pages; and Socrates shook his head sadly and said, ‘No.’ Then another chap took a shot at it, and talked for sixteen pages. And Socrates said, ‘Ah!’ The next victim must have talked till it got dark, and Socrates said, ‘Possibly.’ They never up and hit him over the head with an obelisk, either. That’s what I wanted to do just from reading the thing, because he never would come out and say what he meant. . . . That’s the origin of your detectives in fiction, <*name sencored*>. And I wish you’d stop it.”
Edit: and also, what name is it that I have cut out from the excerpt

Last edited by Iznogood; 01-30-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #10747
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Plato and Aristotle.

Guessing Plato is pointing to the "Guardians" or intellectuals who should lead man while Aristotle points to earth and man controls his own destiny.

Edit: Wow, in the time I grabbed a drink of water the quiz was answered.

Last edited by Fbone; 01-30-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #10748
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
[OT]We have a copy of "The School of Athens" behind the cook-top in our kitchen. Most inspiring.[/OT]
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #10749
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
This may turn out to be an easy question or a difficult one. Only time can show that... But since we're on the subject of Greek philosophers; which novel is this paragraph from:

Edit: and also, what name is it that I have cut out from the excerpt

It sounds like Lord Peter Wimsey, but he wasn't the Chief Inspector, whose name was Parker I seem to remember. However, I don't recognise the excerpt and therefore can't name the novel.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #10750
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
[OT]We have a copy of "The School of Athens" behind the cook-top in our kitchen. Most inspiring.[/OT]
[OT REPLY]I've got one in the bedroom. The poster cost around $10 and the frame cost around $150, but it looks nice. Only place the wife will let me hang it. Doesn't go with her Home Interiors stuff.[/OT REPLY]
Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #10751
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Oversized graphic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
[OT REPLY]I've got one in the bedroom. The poster cost around $10 and the frame cost around $150, but it looks nice. Only place the wife will let me hang it. Doesn't go with her Home Interiors stuff.[/OT REPLY]
[really of topic] I have a poster of The Garden of Earthly Delights hanging in my bedroom. [/really off topic]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	100424  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-31-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #10752
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
[getting more off-topic by the moment]
We have this, as stitched by me:

[/gmotbtm]

Last edited by Shayne Parkinson; 01-31-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #10753
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
[really of topic] I have a poster of The Garden of Earthly Delights hanging in my bedroom. [/really off topic]
In the bedroom???? Are you looking for inspiration?

Quote:

[/gmotbtm]
A beautiful triptych Shayne.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #10754
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:

[/gmotbtm]
Lovely!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #10755
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
What was the question? Whose go is it?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote