Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
That said, an attractive price like 69$ will convince at least a few of my friends to go for a Kindle as it is.
Watch out!

Owning a kindle is addictive..I have a bad kindlecane addiction that I will probably take to my grave!

But true!

Last edited by DustyDisks; 09-12-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: translating thoughts into words
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
... Owning a kindle is addictive..I a bad kindlecane addiction that I will probably take to my grave!
Addictive? No way! I only bought 14 kindles (so far)!
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't know if everyone remembers how disappointed I was with the K4S when I got it. I had to exchange it because the background was really grey. The background on the replacement was a little lighter but the dingy grey cast was always there. I finally found a tolerance for it after finding a custom font that was dark enough for me to read comfortably. I had many people come to me with the same screen problem.
The K4S screens seemed very inconsistent between units. Mine which I received the same day you got your first one had a screen that was better than the K3 I had at the time. A really good screen, though nothing like what you describe the new K4B as having. Perhaps Amazon was able to pressure eInk into using better quality control this time around. I hope so. I cannot wait for my Paperwhite to arrive now that I've heard how terrific the K4B is!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The K4S screens seemed very inconsistent between units. Mine which I received the same day you got your first one had a screen that was better than the K3 I had at the time. A really good screen, though nothing like what you describe the new K4B as having. Perhaps Amazon was able to pressure eInk into using better quality control this time around. I hope so. I cannot wait for my Paperwhite to arrive now that I've heard how terrific the K4B is!
Quality control was probably the biggest issue with last years Kindles. I mean with the Silver Kindles they just for first time cut alot of corners. I think they realized now they can't sacrifice quality if they want to keep their customers happy.

They seem to have found a medium now between the two.

Now if only they give us back the ability to turn WiFi off from inside a book or home page I would be ecstatic.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Yay, Blossom!

These prices are amazing. I remember when the first Kindle came out and I salivated, wondering how long it would take for the price to become reasonable. More than reasonable now.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Yay, Blossom!

These prices are amazing. I remember when the first Kindle came out and I salivated, wondering how long it would take for the price to become reasonable. More than reasonable now.
I paid $79 for the silver one last year so $10 cheaper this year for a better display than either eInk I own is well worth it.

I actually traded my K3 for the new K4. I am not gonna miss it at all!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I paid $79 for the silver one last year so $10 cheaper this year for a better display than either eInk I own is well worth it.

I actually traded my K3 for the new K4. I am not gonna miss it at all!
I'm keeping my K4. The new one offers nothing worth upgrading for.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #23
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I ordered two black K4 (one for each of my parents for Xmas) and just received them.
The black bezel is very attractive. The displays, which are good, are for my eyesight the same as my grey K4 display, which I always thought was better or the same as my K3.

Is this just an impression, or are the new black ones a tad lighter (weight) than the grey ones ?

Apart from that, no difference for me.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #24
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Are any special offers appearing on the new devices?
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #25
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Pictures or it didn't happen
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #26
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Just got an email - mine are in an Amazon locker waiting to be picked up. Yay!

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #27
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I ordered two (here in the UK it's the £69 Kindle) and they're due tomorrow. Excited now! After 4 years and 4 devices I'm jumping ship from Sony - I finally got fed up with managing books and 'last read' positions manually across my work reader, my home reader and my phone. Looking forward to that whispersync goodness...

Andrew
Congratulations!

You may know this already (or it may not matter to you), but if you convert your existing e-books to .mobi and e-mail them to your Kindle, they will be stored in your Amazon library *and* whispersync will work with these books (which Amazon calls "personal documents.")

This feature has been around for about a year; originally whispersync only worked with books you bought from Amazon. But you do have to e-mail them; sideloading with the cable won't activate whispersync.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #28
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Pictures or it didn't happen
here the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	92295  
Old 09-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #29
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
here the pic
Hard to compare. There are lighting (color) variations from the center to the edges of the picture.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #30
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Hard to compare. There are lighting (color) variations from the center to the edges of the picture.
Exactly, but I don't have a working camera so I used my phone. There is a big bay window on the right side too. This pic was made as an answer to Zeebra, not to prove my point since I really believe that the grey K4 Displays did vary quite a lot from one device to another.