Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
UK Authors demand compensation for book thieves

via IWR (emphasis mine):

Quote:
The Authors’ Licensing & Collecting Society (ALCS) is calling for the UK to move to the European copyright model and pay authors when their work is copied. The call came in response to the Gowers Review of intellectual property, which recommended the decriminalisation of private copying of legally acquired content onto an electronic device for personal use.

The issue has come to the fore with the launch of the Amazon Kindle and other e-book readers, which might let users copy books and articles freely.

We need to crack down on people who blatantly abuse and commercially benefit from illegal activity,” Atkinson said.
I've always known it. The Kindle is evil!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
via IWR (emphasis mine):

I've always known it. The Kindle is evil!

Yeah? Well the ALCS is even *EVILER*! They come across as a group of toad-lickers wanting to monitor even more of the individual's life. Glad I'm not a Brit. It's bad enough we've got this convoluted mess in the US, but what they're proposing would require the totalitarianism of Stalin.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
They come across as a group of toad-lickers wanting to monitor even more of the individual's life.
Lotta that going around these days.

And, of course, the Kindle expressly doesn't "let users copy books and articles freely" with its proprietary DRM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Lotta that going around these days.

And, of course, the Kindle expressly doesn't "let users copy books and articles freely" with its proprietary DRM.
I think they were referring to an individual copying nonDRMed content on to the Kindle. For instance, ebooks from here.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think they were referring to an individual copying nonDRMed content on to the Kindle. For instance, ebooks from here.
wait, what would be wrong with that ? all the books here are in the public domain.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wait, what would be wrong with that ? all the books here are in the public domain.
No, the editions here are not in public domain. So I assume that according to UK laws you cannot format shift a book from here.

The title of this thread is not very accurate. They are talking about "decriminalisation of private copying of legally acquired content onto an electronic device for personal use" a thing which usually is legal around the world.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
What's wrong with "the decriminalisation of private copying of legally acquired content onto an electronic device for personal use"?!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i admit to being still confused. then again, i have not read the article, so perhaps it's my own fault (i'll read it tomorrow).
Old 06-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I've read the article, and I think the point of it is this quote (precisely the only part not quoted by the author of this topic ):

Quote:
ALCS CEO Owen Atkinson said that if copyright exceptions were brought in, they should be accompanied by compensation.

“The UK is very much out of kilter with the rest of Europe in terms of the way it deals with private copying,” Atkinson said. “The way the European model works is that on top of the cost of a photocopier or MP3 player or DVD player, there is a small amount added to recognise that there is a value in all the creative content.”
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

aaaah, right, the (in)famous "pirate tax". now i understand.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:12 AM   #11
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Oh well ... I like this tax. Once upon a time it was legal to copy a CD, DVD or something for private use. License holders wanted to get money for this - so there was charges added on every burner, copying machine, etc
But nowadays it is illegal to make private copys - so why still pay this charge?
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:02 AM   #12
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
“We need to crack down on people who blatantly abuse and commercially benefit from illegal activity,” Atkinson said.
Does anyone actually benefit commercially from pirated ebooks? I've heard of people selling copied DVDs on the street but I'm yet to encounter anyone passing off illegal ebooks for $$$.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:11 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
Does anyone actually benefit commercially from pirated ebooks? I've heard of people selling copied DVDs on the street but I'm yet to encounter anyone passing off illegal ebooks for $$$.
Yes, absolutely people do. We've had numerous examples here of people buying pirated books. A couple of weeks ago someone said that they'd bought a copy of "Lord of the Rings" from somewhere or other, and, even more blatantly, someone posted a link to a web site a while ago which was selling whole bundles of pirated books for quite significant sums of money. In both cases these were unquestionable pirated books, since no "legal" eBook is available from those authors.

One might argue that no harm is done to anybody in creating an eBook for personal use in cases where one has bought the paper book, and no eBook is commercially available, but I'm sure that most people would agree that selling such eBooks to make money is a different matter altogether.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Oh well ... I like this tax. Once upon a time it was legal to copy a CD, DVD or something for private use. License holders wanted to get money for this - so there was charges added on every burner, copying machine, etc
But nowadays it is illegal to make private copys - so why still pay this charge?
the arguments i have heard against this tax is that it is indiscriminate and therefore unfair ; it assumes that you are buying blank media in order to copy someone else's (copyright protected) work, and therefore charges compensation ; but what if you are only using it for *your* *own* work ? why should you be taxed to archive your own files ? i think it was the assumption of guilt rather than the tax itself which caused controversy.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 AM   #15
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
i think it was the assumption of guilt rather than the tax itself which caused controversy.
Yes, you are right. But this got even stranger with the new law prohibiting copying media for private use - I still have to pay that tax, so the government is essentially assuming that I am breaking the law (and to believe that they actually certified that I am trustworthy (and law-abiding) enough to handle explosives ...)

Perhaps one should start a case of defamation

--edit:
I mean - if you would apply the "presumption of innocence" and a tax differing between "media used for copying" and "other media" - you would actually have to pay that tax for nearly none medias (and that's why it is indiscriminating...)
Oh well, who ever heared of a tax or cession abolished after the original meaning has been lost? (For Germans: Sparkling wine tax ... established to pay for WW1 )

Last edited by tirsales; 06-05-2008 at 07:17 AM.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote