Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
Kindle Fire's lowest setting TOO bright - help

I can't find where someone posted about adding a screen filter. Can someone walk me through how to do that (I already downloaded the apk file and installed the app that shows all the folders ... but I don't have a mini usb cord. Any way I can email it to myself and get it on the Fire that way?

So far, I am a bit less than impressed. It's "OK" but the web browsing is not as responsive as I had hoped. I have an iPad 2 and an iPod Touch 4 to compare it to. If I can get the brightness thing under control, I think the iPad 2 will be my preferred web-browsing device, my iPod Touch preferred for listening to podcasts and reading at night side-lying (I LOVE LOVE it for that - don't need anything bigger - maybe a 4.5" screen would be perfect if they ever increase the size, but otherwise, it's great. Also love my iPod Touch for the bathtub (I've got a waterproof case). The only thing I think I'd prefer the Fire for is reading *sitting up* at night - IF I can get it dimmer. And *maybe* for watching movies in bed if I'm lying down (LOL, I know how spoiled I sound - a device for every position! Also have the e-ink Kindle for, you know, reading in sunlight) :P

Funny, I just posted on another thread disagreeing that the night mode would be hard to read at night - NOW I see maybe where the person's problem was - maybe on a device that won't get dim enough, it's not comfortable on the eyes. On my iPod Touch (gets nice and dim), I love reading on the night mode in complete darkness. On the Kindle Fire it was WAY too bright in darkness - even in a dim room it was too bright.

One more thing - the resolution on the text is just a small bit better than reading on the iPad. Doesn't 'blow me away' like the iPod Touch. I plan to take some pictures to show the comparison sometime soon.

Last edited by Jowi; 11-16-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowi View Post
I can't find where someone posted about adding a screen filter. Can someone walk me through how to do that (I already downloaded the apk file and installed the app that shows all the folders ... but I don't have a mini usb cord. Any way I can email it to myself and get it on the Fire that way?

So far, I am a bit less than impressed. It's "OK" but the web browsing is not as responsive as I had hoped. I have an iPad 2 and an iPod Touch 4 to compare it to. If I can get the brightness thing under control, I think the iPad 2 will be my preferred web-browsing device, my iPod Touch preferred for listening to podcasts and reading at night side-lying (I LOVE LOVE it for that - don't need anything bigger - maybe a 4.5" screen would be perfect if they ever increase the size, but otherwise, it's great. Also love my iPod Touch for the bathtub (I've got a waterproof case). The only thing I think I'd prefer the Fire for is reading *sitting up* at night - IF I can get it dimmer.

Funny, I just posted on another thread disagreeing that the night mode would be hard to read at night - NOW I see maybe where the person's problem was - maybe on a device that won't get dim enough, it's not comfortable on the eyes. On my iPod Touch (gets nice and dim), I love reading on the night mode in complete darkness. On the Kindle Fire it was WAY too bright in darkness - even in a dim room it was too bright.
It's on this thread I wonder if Quick settings will work on the Fire is has a way to go dimmer then default settings as well. I use it on my phone.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Thanks - I guess that explains how to install *almost* but not quite for me. Could someone tell me how to get the file into the folder?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Thanks - I guess that explains how to install *almost* but not quite for me. Could someone tell me how to get the file into the folder?
I would email it to yourself and try that way. If that doesn't work you can put in dropbox then via the browser download it that way if it's allowed.

On my phone I use the dropbox app to transfer stuff.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
\...
One more thing - the resolution on the text is just a small bit better than reading on the iPad. Doesn't 'blow me away' like the iPod Touch. I plan to take some pictures to show the comparison sometime soon.
The iPod touch has a noticeably smaller screen. That's why the text is better looking.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Screen Filter app is the one I use, but there are many others available that might work. One thing I've noticed though is that the latest version of Screen Filter no longer has any manual settings. It used to allow you to set the amount of dimming to occur, now you just have to use what it comes with.

BTW, I think the readability of the text for books is way better on the Fire than on my Pad. The iPad is rather pathetic at rendering text and has a lower resolution.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
Jowi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The iPod touch has a noticeably smaller screen. That's why the text is better looking.
Well, the text is better looking because it has double pixels per inch. When I upgraded from the iPod Touch 3 to the 4 I was *blown away* by how great it looked compared to the older version. True you can hold the Fire/iPad further from your face when reading, but still ... nothing compares. It just doesn't. Give these bigger devices another year and I'm sure they will also be great! For now, they're *OK*, just not to the point where I'm super impressed with the text crispness.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Jowi
Connoisseur

Thanks - I figured it out. Realized my regular kindle charger USB cord would work in the Fire (duh!) and moved the file on. Works nice but too bad you can't adjust it while in the reader app. Hopefully Amazon will do an update allowing in-app brightness adjustment.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Well, the text is better looking because it has double pixels per inch. When I upgraded from the iPod Touch 3 to the 4 I was *blown away* by how great it looked compared to the older version. True you can hold the Fire/iPad further from your face when reading, but still ... nothing compares. It just doesn't. Give these bigger devices another year and I'm sure they will also be great! For now, they're *OK*, just not to the point where I'm super impressed with the text crispness.
I've got an iPod touch 4G too and it is good, but so is my Motorola Atrix Android phone. Both have comparable screens and now many newer Android powered phones have screens that blow the iPhone screen out of the water. The iPad screen is horrible though--worse than the average computer monitor. Thankfully we get clear, sharp text rendering on the Fire as opposed to the fuzzy, headache inducing text rendered on the iPad.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Jowi
Connoisseur

Jack, I was looking at Android phones recently and considering getting the 4.5" Galaxy Nexus or something like that ... the only thing that really scares me is I don't like the look of the android ... it looks so cluttered to me. I guess it would take getting used to - or maybe I'd not get used to it and hate it.

It's amazing how far these devices have come in just the past few years! Even the fuzzy, low-res screens I wouldn't want now would have been awesome just a couple years ago. I had NO problem with my iPod Touch 3's screen - I loved it! It wasn't until I saw the screen on the 4 that I realized how pixelated it was :P
Old 11-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I agree the Fire's dimmest setting is still a little too bright for night reading. I could load this filter app, but I think I'm just going to wait; Amazon is sure to make more settings possible, or a dimming app will come along specifically tailored to the Fire. I'm too old for all this hunting around for apk, side-loading nonsense.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I agree the Fire's dimmest setting is still a little too bright for night reading. I could load this filter app, but I think I'm just going to wait; Amazon is sure to make more settings possible, or a dimming app will come along specifically tailored to the Fire. I'm too old for all this hunting around for apk, side-loading nonsense.
You can't find an app in the App Store? Not being sarcastic, I haven't looked.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Possibly not and here is why. There is a reason why they don't allow the screen brightness to be turned down below a certain level. Simply put it is called idiot proofing. If they allow us to turn the screen down so far that it goes black, some folks will do that then think they bricked their device. So they build in a safety level to prevent us from thinking we bricked our device because the screen went black. Assume that we can turn the screen down to 5% backlighting for reading inside in a dark room. You could still see the screen well enough to use the device. But if you then walked outside in the sunlight it might be too dim to use. So at least that is one theory why they keep the lowest backlight setting a bit too high for our tastes.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
Jowi
Connoisseur

Quote:
It's really not hard at all. Just go to the app store and get the "ES File Explorer" app and put it on the Fire.

Then go on your computer and go here to get the Screen Filter apk file: http://www.mediafire.com/?8lkweoxgb1vox3w (that's the one I used and it works)

Then plug your Fire into your computer. Have the folder your Screen Filter apk file in open. When you turn your Fire on while it's plugged in to your computer, it should allow you to open to view folders. One of the folders is 'downloads' (You might be able to just drag it in anywhere, but this is how I did it) and click/drag your apk file into this download folder. Then on the Fire, open the ES File Explorer app and go to the 'downloads' folder and click on the Screen Filter file that you moved in.

My fire then gave a pop-up and took me to settings to allow loading of apps, so I did that. Then it took me back and I clicked on it and it installed. Now it's in my 'apps'. I changed it to a 'favorite' so it's convenient to get to when I need to dim the screen.

I will send some sort of feedback to amazon, but they've had their app for IOS devices forever and there still is no dim slider on it, so I don't count on them fixing this any time soon, so until then, this will hopefully help.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #15
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Thank you for your step-by-step instructions, Jowi. That's kinda what I needed to kick me to do it.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote