Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
Shoppa
Shoppa
Shoppa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1
Help. Complete novice

Everyone seems so knowledgable so i will appear like a complete bumpkin here but I just can't make this work.
I have a kindle (1st version) given to me and no knowledge at all. I have followed some of the threads and tried to follow instructions but am getting nowhere. i am in Australia so it is not poss to do wirless.
Shoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
What are you trying to do, Shoppa? What trouble are you having?

You might want to post in the Kindle forum if it's a Kindle-specific issue.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
To buy from the Kindle store, you need a Kindle registered to your account and some way of disguising that you are not in the US. See the Kindle forum for more details.

If you don't have access to the Kindle Store, then what you need are DRM-free MOBI ebooks, which can be downloaded to your Kindle via USB (put them in the documents directory). If the ebook isn't MOBI, then use Calibre (has its own forum) to convert DRM-free ebooks to MOBI. Calibre will also "manage" the copying of ebooks to your Kindle via USB if you want.

Many ebooks (but not all) you buy have DRM (encryption). It may not be legal in Australia, but the DRM from all popular ebooks formats can be stripped (see lots of threads here on this), and it is hard to see who is hurt by doing so for personal use on ebooks you bought.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
On this web site, you can download lots and lots of old classics to your PC or Mac and then mount the Kindle as a disk. Put the books into the Documents folder. Where to find books here? Look at the top of this page .... about an inch down is a blue bar. Click EBooks, and then choose format Mobipocket for your Kindle.

Then read this thread about how to buy books from Amazon if you don't live in the USA. Hope this helps!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Shoppa, go here, and download the Kindle 1 users guide and About your Kindle in PDF version, to be read on your computer.

It will give you much info.

Let us know, after you read it, what you want to do and we'll try and help.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200317150

Last edited by desertgrandma; 03-17-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Link
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
Shoppa
Shoppa

I can't get this to download. My computer with which I am a complete moron says windows does not recognise this file type.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 AM   #7
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoppa View Post
I can't get this to download. My computer with which I am a complete moron says windows does not recognise this file type.
Hello Shoppa,
first browse http://www.adobe.com and click "Get Adobe Reader" to download their Adobe Reader. Find the downloaded file and install Adobe Reader. After installing Adobe Reader your computer will be able to show you the kindle user guide destergrandma mentioned.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
Shoppa
Shoppa

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I can open the ebook I downloaded on my laptop but just can't get it to the kindle. I thought I had it at one point but when I tried to open it on the kindle I got an error message. I tried to download it agian to no avail, same error message. Is it the type I chose?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You need to download one of the books in the "MobiPocket Books" forum. That will be a file with a ".prc" extension. Simply download it to your PC, connect your Kindle to your PC via USB, and copy the book to the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote