Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Search for files by content string?

I thought I saw the answer to this somewhere, but I can't find it now. Can you search for a text-based file by content, i.e. search through all your files for those containing a specific string? (Not including scanned PDFs, PNGs, etc.)

This is separate from a feature of being able to search within a file -- I imagine that depends on the viewer. (Do any of the viewers on the iLiad provide this?)

Thanks,
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
I think this could be very easily developed by some linux programmers.
There is not such feature yet in the viewers.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
you need to pop-up the terminal and use grep , or strings | grep. Business as usual
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
Sergeij2000
Sergeij2000 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Treo T650
Searching inside a pdf-file is one of the most important functions missing in the iLiad firmware. I bought the iLiad as a repository for my huge collection of data books and technical manuals, mainly because the claimed to be able to search within files. You can probably imagine my disappointment when i recognized that this function is not existing. In the moment i regard the iLiad as an expensive toy with limited usability. I hope i will see a search function in one of the next updates.

Cheers

Sergeij
Sergeij2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
you need to pop-up the terminal and use grep , or strings | grep. Business as usual
Not great, but I suppose I could cope. (Does strings | grep look within non-image PDF files?)

There's an opportunity here for one of our utility developers to create a little search tool. (Preferably one that can take pen input.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert