Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Starhawk
Enthusiast
Starhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2; Amazon 1 (returned in ancticipation of 2)
Power switch taking 11seconds?

Hi!

My Kindle 2 seems to be taking about 11 seconds to come to life after going to "sleep" (with the screensaver).

I'm pretty sure that it used to take only a few seconds maybe.

Could it be that the few second wake-up time is for when it's close to fully charged? I'm kind of letting it run down a bit to kinda see what pushing the 2 week battery life is like, and I'm about a week and a half in.

My memory of the wake-up times is fuzzy. It could well be that when it was close to fully charged it took only a few seconds, and only in the last couple of days now that it's less than half-charged, it's crossed some threshold of time where I finally noticed that it's slower now.

Has anyone else noticed their Kindle 2's wake-up times changing? What are folks' wake-up times like?
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
3-Pack
3-Pack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and iPad
Your Kindle should wake from sleep within two or three seconds. I experienced the same problem you are having and discovered that it was happening only when the book I was reading was in AZW1 format (I'm guessing Topaz books will do the same). My Kindle was taking 12 to 15 seconds to wake or to move to the book from the Home Page. As soon as I switched to a book in another format, the problem went away. I did report the problem to Amazon.
3-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Pack View Post
Your Kindle should wake from sleep within two or three seconds. I experienced the same problem you are having and discovered that it was happening only when the book I was reading was in AZW1 format (I'm guessing Topaz books will do the same). My Kindle was taking 12 to 15 seconds to wake or to move to the book from the Home Page. As soon as I switched to a book in another format, the problem went away. I did report the problem to Amazon.
Just a really small clarification - .azw1 and .tpz are both Topaz files. You get .azw when you download directly to your Kindle, and a .tpz when you download to your computer.

Why? Who knows.....

And, yes, Topaz books are much slower opening. It's better on K2 than on K1, but it's still bad.

Last edited by tlrowley; 03-16-2009 at 09:41 PM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Hantra
Enthusiast
Hantra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Might want to try a cold boot. It seems to speed up my K2 when it gets a bit sluggish.
Hantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've noticed this as well, and only with those formats. It's a minor annoyance, but at 11 seconds, it could be worse. I have a feeling they'll be able to fix this with software updates.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Mine takes 4 seconds on average to wake up from sleep
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
Starhawk
Enthusiast

hm, yeah, so to add some info...I fully charged it last night, and this morning, it's taken around 15 seconds to open to my book.

And I tried it with other books, and did find that they were much more in the 2-6 second range! That's comforting, at least.

To check what format it's in (I purchased it from Amazon directly via the Kindle), I'd just hook it up via usb and take a look via, say, Windows' file manager ("Windows Explorer"), right?

Intriguing...The book that's giving me problems is "To Light a Candle", the sequel to "The Outstretched Shadow", which did not have this problem...
Old 03-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
To Light a Candle is a Topaz book.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Yes, I answered a similar question on the Amazon forum. A Topaz format book was similarly to blame. Topaz books take longer to open.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
Starhawk
Enthusiast

Hey! My Kindle 2 just did its update to v2.0.2, and opening my Topaz books, specifically "To Light a Candle" and its sequel, "When Darkness Falls", now happens much much faster.

I've timed opening each of those books, both from the Home screen and from sleep (while within each of those books), and they take about almost 6 seconds in all scenarios, compared to the 11-15 seconds from before doing the update.

Can anyone else corroborrate this finding with their own Topaz books?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Mine likes to take its sweet time, lazy basta"d it is, likes to sleep in. More of a night kindle, than day.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
MoboHobo
Banned
MoboHobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Really? Mine is usually fairly quick. Like 5 sec max.
MoboHobo is offline   Reply With Quote