Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
mfabry
mfabry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Calibre fails to detect SD card on Sony PRS-600

Hi,
I've been using Calibre for a long time to manage my ebook collection. I keep almost all of them on SD card. However recently Calibre fails to detect the card in my reader and I have access to internal memory storage only. I have no idea where to look for errors (there are none in system logs anyway). Last time I'd just reformatted the card, but unfortunately the problem was not solved. I use the latest version of Calibre on 64bit Kubuntu Linux. Any ideas where to begin?
mfabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
cava
cava began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Yes I get the same problem with Calibre 0.8.15 on Ubuntu. It used to be working on that version though. But I tried to upload several books to SD card A and got a strange error telling it was full (wrong: it is almost empty). Since then, no more card A appears in Calibre.
cava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
reformat your SD card as FAT32 and make sure you dont have too many files in the root of the card.

Or try another card. There have been no changes to calibre's device driver subsystem that could possibly cause problems accessing cards in a *very* long time.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
@mfabry does your system recognise your sd card? I don't do linux but in Windows it is my computer

@cava
I have had similiar problems with my SD card.
Calibre would only write 173 directories to SD card no matter how I formatted it *FAT, Fat32, NTSF).
Windows would give me the same error on Fat at least though so probably an OS thing.

Calibre puts all the files/folders on the root on the SD card although it uses the Sony convention on the internal memory.

Calibre doesn't delete empty subfolders when you delete the last book from the collection via the reader, which could be normal but I expected it to with it hooked up and automatic management turned on as I can resend a book and then delete it via USB and the collection folder is removed.

My solution was to copy all of the books and send them via Sony Reader software which I haven't used much. Then they went to the correct place instead of the root.

Calibre recognized that all of the books were on the device and wrote its own files.

Took Sony 3+ hours to finish whatever it does after I ejected it and disconnected it. Battery almost gone. Plugged it in again and charged. Took less than an hour to come back to life

Today I got brave and put another 1000 books on to see waht would happen.

Collection folders all went to the root, but there was only 114 so so far so so good. Ejected and disconnected and took less than 1/2 hour to be ready with no noticeable battery drain.

I cannot see that calibre could be at fault in the long sony boot time.
Would be nice if the books and folders did not all go to the root though.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
mfabry
mfabry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I think Cava nailed my problem. After a disastrous experience in the morning my card was finally recognized by calibre. So I tried again to send some books. Like Cava I got the error about not enough space left on the card (totally wrong - I have 2GB card which is less than 20% full). My book collection is rather extensive - around 400 ebooks. I have a habit of keeping them all even after I finish reading.

@speakingtohe My system never had any problems with recognizing, mounting and reading the card every time I plugged it in, which made me suspicious of calibre in the first place. I checked logs to be sure. I even tried chkdsk on the card (again - looks clean). Funny thing is that the card is recognized at random. Last time I did a full reboot to be sure I have a clean start and no luck. Then I left my computer switched off for a few hours and surprise - next time calibre can see my card again!

@kovidgoyal Reformatting doesn't solve the problem. I've already tried it - last time I'd reformatted the card and put all my books back again. New batch of books and the problem is back. I wonder if I've managed to I hit some limits on FAT32 itself (too long path and filename or something). I'm tempted to move my collection to another card and see what happens.
mfabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cava View Post
Yes I get the same problem with Calibre 0.8.15 on Ubuntu. It used to be working on that version though. But I tried to upload several books to SD card A and got a strange error telling it was full (wrong: it is almost empty). Since then, no more card A appears in Calibre.
Definitely an OS error, your root directory has reached a limit on the number of entries. Do has Kovid stated and format SD card as FAT32 and this limitation will be eliminated.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-600, sd card